• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gary Barnidge

monstercat

Here's a decent little article from the Observer...http://www.charlotteobserver.com/panthers/story/761944.html

Barnidge (6-5, 247 pounds) said he's stronger, faster and feels much more comfortable with the offense than he did last season.

“I feel like I know the playbook a lot better,” he said. “As a rookie, you're learning everything. Now, I can just go play. I know most of it. I'm just learning more techniques now, so I feel really good out there.”

I'm excited to see what Barnidge can do now that he knows the offense and has some time with Delhomme. I believe all three Panthers TE's can be pretty productive if they would just throw to them more. A lot of people seem to be ready to write Rosario off, but I still like all three of these guys, and you need more than one good TE.

I think it'll be sad to see them not use the talent that they have to it's fullest potential.. Put 2 WR's out and 2 TE's with 1 RB and mix it up with the TE's.. Work the field.. And you can still have a running game..

I like barnidge a lot, if he can block and imo, that's key as well as king at least he'll take the starting job. If he can't then Rosario needs to show more consistency as a receiver.

I like the stables we're assembling, it'll sound cliche'd but having three and four RBs who're relatively similar and three or four tight ends reminds me of a pretty decent team we lost a big game to in the 03 season.

I wouldn't mind seeing them try to get Gary to lose 10-15 lbs. and try his hand as a slot receiver. He seems to have the build for it and could be a huge mismatch in the offense if he was able to convert that 4.6 speed into 4.5 speed by losing a little weight and working out differently. He just doesn't seem thick enough to be an NFL blocking caliber TE, IMO. He doesn't have a lot of bend and he's more of an athlete than anything.

I wouldn't mind seeing them try to get Gary to lose 10-15 lbs. and try his hand as a slot receiver.

Then he would go from being a fast TE, to a slow/average receiver. He creates bigger mismatches as a TE, where linebacker and safeties will mostly be covering him.

I wouldn't mind seeing them try to get Gary to lose 10-15 lbs. and try his hand as a slot receiver. He seems to have the build for it and could be a huge mismatch in the offense if he was able to convert that 4.6 speed into 4.5 speed by losing a little weight and working out differently. He just doesn't seem thick enough to be an NFL blocking caliber TE, IMO. He doesn't have a lot of bend and he's more of an athlete than anything.

I said that to my girlfriend once and she slapped me.

Look at guys like Moose and Smitty who aren't that big but block very well. It is not about size but desire and technique that make you a good blocker.

He is 6-5 and 247 but runs as quickly as Jarrett does. He is perfect to create mismatches as a TE. He will be one of Jake's primary targets this year and will get more yards than King. With any luck he will our next Wesley Walls.

i'd rather see him gain 10-15 pounds of muscle. speed wouldn't be effected that much but it would make him a real threat in both blocking and receiving. few would be able to fight him for that ball. most SLBs aren't going to be able to compete with that. most DBs aren't going to either.

I called him to be the starter by the end of last year....hopefully i was off by just a 1/2 year

I doubt that's gonna happen. The starting TE on this team is gonna be a run blocker first, so Barnidge has his work cut out for him if he wants to pass up Jeff King on the depth chart. That certainly doesn't mean he can't contribute though.

I doubt that's gonna happen. The starting TE on this team is gonna be a run blocker first, so Barnidge has his work cut out for him if he wants to pass up Jeff King on the depth chart. That certainly doesn't mean he can't contribute though.

yeah, the only way he's going to take that #1 spot is if he can outblock king. he's got a lot of work to do if he is going to do that. i can see him passing up rosario pretty easily, though. especially with barnidge getting the practice in while rosario mends. i think i have said this before but i could see us switching out rosario and barndige like we did hackett and jarrett last year. let this year be a competition for that TE2 spot. winner of that should be able to compete with king in '10 (who will be a FA).

Archived