• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sporting News ranks coaches and coordinators

X-Clown

Haven't seen a thread for this so I apologize in advance if I'm making a duplicate.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=556480

John Fox ranked #9. I don't have a problem with the ranking of Fox per se, but to have him as the 3rd best coach in the NFC South behind Sean Payton (#6????) and Mike Smith (#8 after his first year) seems crazy. And Mike Tomlin is ranked 5th, behind Andy Reid who is 3rd?? Wade Phillips is a better coach than Mike McCarthy or Lovie Smith? Brad Childress seems overrated at #11 also, but maybe that's just me.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=555913

They only ranked 20 offensive coordinators, and Jeff Davidson didn't make the list despite having one of the top scoring offenses in the league last year. This one floored me, especially considering that Ron Turner, Bob Bratkowski (Bengals coordinator ranked #8), and Ted Tollner (who??? the Raiders' offensive coordinator) made the list. Also fun to note that Dan Henning was 3rd on the list.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=556104

Ron Meeks was the last defensive coordinator on the list at #20. I understand that this is his first season as the Panthers coordinator, but look at how many ranked above him are in the same situation.

Sean Payton would be way up on the list if he was still an offensive coordinator, but he is way overrated as a head coach (on this list at least). His teams have underachieved, by a lot, of what was expected from them the past 2 years. He's had 1 good season with the Saints, that's it.

Mike Smith did a really good job in his first year as a head coach, but I want to see some consistency out of him and his team before I'm ready to put him as a top 10 coach in the league.

John Fox is the most experienced coach, and has had more success as a head coach than anyone in the NFCS. It's laughable to put him behind any of the other coaches in the South at this point in time.

Anybody who said Tom Coughlin was the second best coach in the NFL a few years ago would have been tarred and feathered. I guess that's what a Lombardi will do for ya.

Then again, having Sean Payton ahead of John Fox, suggests that offensive stats played a bigger role, at least in some cases, than winning football games. Hell, Payton is still basically just an OC because he seems to have nothing to do with his defense. Oh well, this stuff means next to nothing anyway, I suppose.

The Pats technically don't HAVE an OC...lol

Wade Phillips is a better HC than McCarthy!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Yeah that playoff record really proves.....oh wait, nevermind! McCarthy has WON playoff games!

I agree X-Clown, Fox should be #1 in the div for now. Perhaps that will change in the future, but I don't see how you put any of the other ones in the division above him at this point.

The Pats technically don't HAVE an OC...lol

Wade Phillips is a better HC than McCarthy!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Yeah that playoff record really proves.....oh wait, nevermind! McCarthy has WON playoff games!

I agree X-Clown, Fox should be #1 in the div for now. Perhaps that will change in the future, but I don't see how you put any of the other ones in the division above him at this point.

Same with SD.....

Clearance Shelman isn't calling the plays....haha

Norv is a very good offensive coach though. This is the Pats third "oc/ non oc/QB coach/ whatever they want to call O'Brien this year" in 6 years. BB is turning into Billick, the opposite side of the ball from his expertise is the one that does better.

Tomlin inherited his OC who was a WR coach under the prior regime and DC (who is the best in the NFL IMO). Bad answer. Wait until he has to pick those guys himself. We'll see how good he is.

John Fox is the most experienced coach, and has had more success as a head coach than anyone in the NFCS. It's laughable to put him behind any of the other coaches in the South at this point in time.

Foxy is actually the 4th most tenured coach in the entire NFL now, and 2nd in the NFC.

He's coached 7yrs, behind only Fisher 14yrs, Reid 10yrs, and Belicheat 9yrs.

I think they nailed this list. Very impressive. Tomlin is the best coach in the league though...not Billichik

Belichick is the best, I don't think there's a debate on that one. Tomlin is very good though, he's done an excellent job considering all the pressure that one would expect from coaching after Cowher. I still think he's a much better coach than Andy "I don't know how to manage a clock in late game situations" Reid.

Archived