• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So I'm 16 (almost 17) Junior in HS... trying to decide what to think about majoring in college

CardiacCats

I entered NC State (well still there) in the First Year College program, which is basically a place for undecided students to gather. I started out in computer science which is in engineering, but I hated science same as you and was unable to get through physics. So what did I do? Switched to business. I'm concentrating in information technology.

If you are thinking about accounting, it's a really tough major. I just think business is a good major to pick and it offers a lot of different concentrations to appeal to your tastes.

Another tidbit, I didn't find anything I learned in high school applicable to college. It doesn't prepare you at all. Of course, I didn't take any AP classes, but I took all honors. It is really a completely new experience.

also, there are a lot of people that start out thinking they hate some topics but end up falling in love with them once they are exposed to them at the college level, so don't close yourself off to any possibilities based on high school *class* experience. think about what interests you outside of school, and what marketable skills relate to that, and which of those things you would prefer to keep as just hobbies and which you think you could build a life around.

Yea, it is too bad you dont like science. If you did or were to change your mind, I'd suggest Industrial and Systems Engineering, and with it specialize in Supply Chain Optimization since you've got some interest in business. It's a great field to get in if you've got a creative mind.

As far as you not liking Physics and other science courses, my suggestion would be to try and meet a great set of smart individuals within your major, and have them help you out along the way in subjects you struggle with. It's how many of us engineer majors get by where I'm at. We live by the motto, "teamwork makes the dream work." It's obvious you'd be capable of getting through a physics or science course, especially if your in the top 5-10% of your class. I'm a senior Chemical Engineer major, but at times I've considered switching to IE. I like how it's a combination of both engineering and business. But, whatever you decide to major in good luck. You'll be fine

There's no need to rush or stress about it. Hell, take a year off or two and travel to open your mind to new things. The next decade for you will be some of the best years of your life.

There is no prototype for higher education. After HS, I went directly into community college because it was cheaper and got many of my BS classes out of the way. I then took a few semesters off to join the Army. I'm now using the benefits to get my Mechanical Engineering degree nearly free of charge. I'm 24, slogging through the courses and it's going to take a few more years, but I am enjoying life not living within a template. No student should feel that way.

BTW, yes...the sciences and engineering classes do suck ass, but the other side is nothing but greener pastures. Engineering is one of the best careers out there; many employers are looking for anyone with a degree in that field. Even if you don't like the basics that make up engineering, keep it under consideration...don't slap it away so quickly.

too bad you don't like science, would be my suggestion... biology, biotech, depending on where you are, can lead to some awesome careers.

like what? I wanna make money :D (who doesn't?) but I don't want to attend college more than 4 years. I might could tough it out four years.

either take courses at a community college and or the next 3 or 4 summers, intern in very diverse places. choose some internships that are out of your comfort zone. you want to have some depth and breadth to your knowledge base to go along with your degree. being able to handle various peoples attitudes and quirks and ups and downs will help you navigate through jobs.

also volunteer as much as you can and just assume you don't know more than anybody else and you will go far.

Above. I was thinking some advice would be nice from guys who know what this is all about and the outlook for certain fields. I'm obviously in no rush, I can switch majors once I get to college or do whatever it takes but I want to start really getting a few in mind.

Here's a little bit about me as a student: I'm a pretty smart guy, I'm easily in the top 10% of my high school class.... closer to top 5. I love sports and I love writing, so journalism has been something I've considered. However it's an awful field full of low paying jobs and very few really explode onto the scene. However I really enjoy that, so I'll continue to consider it regardless.

I can't stand science, I want nothing to do with a field that involves a lot of science so that crosses off a lot of jobs in the medical field and like engineering and stuff.

So what I'm really considering is something related to business. BUt what? What I've really thought about is accounting, that's a good field that offers many solid paying jobs and they are easy to find. But I've also considered something like economics, entrepreneurship, business administration, etc.

I have ton of time, but I love hearing advice from people who know more about some of these fields, so I'd love to hear some.

Ok, serious question

Are you paying for college or are your Parents paying for school?

If your Parents are paying for school ask them to give you 2 years time to go out and work a real job in the real world to help you decide on what you want to do.

Like an internship or something along those lines. do not go to work at a cookie cutter crap retail highschool job, I mean a real one put the effort in and you can find one. do that see how you like it and make an educated choice from there.

Archived