• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So I'm 16 (almost 17) Junior in HS... trying to decide what to think about majoring in college

CardiacCats

Haha, well I'm not gonna argue with you, physics sucks. But there are a lot of sciences out there, surely you arent bad at bio, chem, environmental, stats, geology, computers, and econ too.

Hell, I hated the first comp sci class I took in college. I took another one cause I thought it would be useful, and ended up liking it enough to take some more classes. Now I kinda wish I was majoring in comp sci

i was good at chemistry but found it boring. Same with Biology, thought it was boring but still got an A. Enviro wasn't bad, I almost aced it... Got AP stat next semester

Since you said you like to write...

Advertising! More importantly, copywriting. Journalism is dead, but advertising will always need words. You'll write scripts for radio and TV spots, you'll write the copy for print ads and billboards, you'll write all the copy for digital.

VCU has the #1 ad school in the country... but who wants to go to Richmond? Atlanta has a nice one as well (Creative Circus).

Miami Ad School is the #2 ad school in the country. Has locations in Brooklyn, Miami, San Francisco, and Minneapolis.

PS - this is what I do for a living. Feel free to PM me.

My best advice is just make sure you goto an accredited college or university, and not one of those for profit institutions (I.e. University of Phoenix, Strayer University, etc...). While technically they do give you a "degree", they are a big red flag in the corporate world. A good rule of thumb is, if your "college" is located inside a shopping center, stay away.

Business or Corporate Communications degree are great general degrees that can get you most jobs.

Good luck.

lol high school physics class shouldn't play a role in disqualifying future careers. I could ace almost any math or science in my high school days, but when you combine them - it's like dividing by zero. physics was one of two classes in high school that wasn't an A (IIRC, I had a C in physics)

I agree with several other posters - it's way too soon to choose a degree. I changed my degree to what would get me out of college the fastest. And doing that was the worst move I've ever made

eta: most of those for profit universities mentioned in the previous post are fully accredited just the same as any public university. However, they carry the stigma shown in his post, so do avoid. Plus people I know who have gone through them say the workload is triple what a traditional university would require

Having a business major is a joke these days in my opinion. It's almost to the point that it is a negative on a resume especially if it is from a below average college/university. Same with MBA. If you are an MBA from a top school then welcome to bank otherwise you are a dime a dozen.

Accounting is interesting. I worked in a big 4 firm for 6 years (not as an accountant) and the accountants get a ton of experience but work way too much and are basically box checkers. Accountants don't make a company run, they just make the numbers add up. It's a donkey job and keeps getting worse as regulations keep getting more complex. BUT it's a solid desk job and there is a ton of demand for accountants. And many accountants branch out into general business later.

You don't want to find yourself running an accounts payable department.

My advise would be to avoid locking yourself in for as long as possible and do something fun. Unless you are gunning for law school it will probably not matter that much what your major is.

Major in chicks and beer is my advice.

I went to community college for two years to to get the general courses out of the way with a plan to transfer to a university. Problem is, I never went to class and didn't even get passed community college. Do better than me. I am pretty much a complete bum right now with no job.

This explains why you are always in a cranky mood and bashing every post you see and sight.I hope you find a job in 2013 and I wish you a happy new year in advance.

You are way too young to know this, but.............Classic.

Seriously, Engineering is a great profession to go into. There are almost as many different engineering fields as there are doctors.

If basic high school physics is like Chinese to the kid, I would NOT recommend engineering.

Archived