• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So I'm 16 (almost 17) Junior in HS... trying to decide what to think about majoring in college

CardiacCats

Above. I was thinking some advice would be nice from guys who know what this is all about and the outlook for certain fields. I'm obviously in no rush, I can switch majors once I get to college or do whatever it takes but I want to start really getting a few in mind.

Here's a little bit about me as a student: I'm a pretty smart guy, I'm easily in the top 10% of my high school class.... closer to top 5. I love sports and I love writing, so journalism has been something I've considered. However it's an awful field full of low paying jobs and very few really explode onto the scene. However I really enjoy that, so I'll continue to consider it regardless.

I can't stand science, I want nothing to do with a field that involves a lot of science so that crosses off a lot of jobs in the medical field and like engineering and stuff.

So what I'm really considering is something related to business. BUt what? What I've really thought about is accounting, that's a good field that offers many solid paying jobs and they are easy to find. But I've also considered something like economics, entrepreneurship, business administration, etc.

I have ton of time, but I love hearing advice from people who know more about some of these fields, so I'd love to hear some.

Seriously, if you are undecided when you attend college, spend the first year taking the required courses, and figure out what your major is going to be while you are there. .

Fwiw, I think that for a lot of students, 18-22 is way to young to decide what they want to do with their lives. I am old and still haven't decided what I want to do. :)

Seriously, if you are undecided when you attend college, spend the first year taking the required courses, and figure out what your major is going to be while you are there.

this is very good advice. you will be able to spend at least two semesters, and sometimes up to four, knocking out your core courses out of the way and in the process you may find something that inspires you. if you have any flexibility in requirements, explore your options and take what interests you. if you need a humanities course, for instance, explore around and find something that you don't know anything about, or something that's always intrigued you. you never know what's going to spark a deep interest that you'll want to pursue further.

If you come out of college with the same major you went in with, you arent doing it right. Take different classes, figure out what you like.

Also, I'm calling bullshit on you're "I dont like science" claim. You havent taken a real science class yet. You're a smart guy, suck it up and dont be afraid to take some classes outside your comfort zone. Most places let you take a class for a couple months and still drop it, dont drop a class in the first week because the first assignment is hard.

Most important advise- dont be lazy. You're going to get more out of college if you put the effort in

If you come out of college with the same major you went in with, you arent doing it right. Take different classes, figure out what you like.

Also, I'm calling bullshit on you're "I dont like science" claim. You havent taken a real science class yet. You're a smart guy, suck it up and dont be afraid to take some classes outside your comfort zone. Most places let you take a class for a couple months and still drop it, dont drop a class in the first week because the first assignment is hard.

Most important advise- dont be lazy. You're going to get more out of college if you put the effort in

well I won't say I don't like it. I just suck at it, I'm in basic physics right now and it's like Chinese to me

well I won't say I don't like it. I just suck at it, I'm in basic physics right now and it's like Chinese to me

Haha, well I'm not gonna argue with you, physics sucks. But there are a lot of sciences out there, surely you arent bad at bio, chem, environmental, stats, geology, computers, and econ too.

Hell, I hated the first comp sci class I took in college. I took another one cause I thought it would be useful, and ended up liking it enough to take some more classes. Now I kinda wish I was majoring in comp sci

Archived