• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CardiacCats mock draft 5.0 end of the season

CardiacCats

we pick 14th overall

QPGVNQAQELSSVNQ.20121127191948.jpg

Round 1. Eric Fisher. OT. Central Michigan.

I know this probably won't be the most popular pick, but we're really in a bind. Today's game showed the biggest weakness we have is on the offensive line and I think we're weakest at the tackle spot. Chance Warmack is a monster and one of the best G prospects ever, but we took Amini early last year who's really beginning to improve and finding serviceable guards is not a very difficult feat. Meanwhile, finding franchise tackles is really tough. This might be a bit of a reach, but by April I think Fisher will easily be regarded as a top-20 pick. I'd love Taylor Lewan here, but I don't expect him to fall past a team like Miami who will be in front of us, heck he could go before that. Taking Fisher frees up many options, you can let go or trade Gross who's making too much money and on the decline or simply move Gross to RT and let Bell try RG. This isn't a sexy pick by any means, but it fills our biggest need and gives Cam some protection. Today was a warning when he got his leg all wrapped up, we're incredibly lucky that wasn't a very serious injury.

justin_hunter.jpg

Round 2. Justin Hunter. WR. Tennessee.

Many of you may laugh at the thought of Hunter being available in the middle of round 2, but I'm telling you right now it's definitely realistic. Hunter is a big receiver at 6'4" and could be a potential #1 guy, although I think that's unlikely. I think he'll be a dangerous #2 threat in the league. By the draft comes around Hunter could be about the fifth best WR available behind the likes of Keenan Allen, Cordarelle Patterson and Tavon Austin. If that's the case Hunter will be available with our second selection and I think it'd be a great pick. Maybe the last piece we need to put around Cam for a while. We haven't had good luck with second round receivers, but hopefully the new GM will be a better evaluator. As a junior Hunter made 73 catches, for 1,083 yards and 9 scores.

Cameron+Newton+Bacarri+Rambo+Georgia+v+Auburn+se4oVuuUzsml.jpg

Round 4. Bacarri Rambo. S. Georgia.

Rambo is a guy I constantly hear being brought up on this board as a possible choice with one of our mid-round picks, and it would be a tremendous investment. There's a lot of good safety prospects in the mid rounds for this draft and Rambo is just another one of them, however due to attitude concerns I concerns I could easily see him winding up a day 3 selection. He would need an attitude check, but from day 1 he would be our starting free safety where we just have a gaping hole. Rambo missed the first 4 games this year, but he still collected 67 tackles, 1 sack and 3 interceptions. This would be another outstanding pickup.

1rvJkk.AuSt.71.jpeg

Round 5. Kwamme Geathers. DT/NT. Georgia.

Geathers is a mammoth, but he's still pretty raw and could probably use an extra year in school. However if he puts his name in the draft, he could go anywhere from rounds 3-5 based on how he performs at the combine. We'd be really lucky to have a chance at selecting him in round 5, but in the middle rounds guys always seem to begin falling for some reason and that could happen to Geathers. I would also expect him to be able to compete for starter minutes from day 1. He had 37 tackles, 5 for loss, and 1 sack this year. Kind of a low risk/high reward pick, he's raw but really tough to move.

Round 6 Luis Murphy

s091017_florida.jpg

Round 7. Caleb Sturgis. K. Florida.

I have a man-crush on Sturgis if you've been following my drafts. I think he's the best kicker available and lord knows we need one. Although I give props to Gano, he's kicked well.

I like the Fisher and Hunter picks a lot. Hunter could easily fall if he gets jumped by Patterson and one more guy, maybe Tavon, maybe Terrance Williams. If Kwame Geathers comes out I see him going rounds 2-3 due to his potential and mammoth size. John Jenkins, Star, and Hankins go in round one, leaving slim pickings for NT in 2-3...Jessie Williams looking like a round 2 pick. Geathers and Jenkins talent levels are not that far off in my opinion from watching UGA games.Good mock, I really really like all of the players.

I just think it's harder to find franchise tackles than it is guards

You may be right but this team needs to just draft for need because they can make the playoffs with their active roster.

Unless Fisher can convert to guard, I say tack Warmack because Hangman can't start anymore.

A lineup of

Gross - Silatolu - Kalil - Warmack - Bell

Maybe go OT next draft or in free agency.

Also I saw ESPN tab Warmack as Carl Nicks 2.0 so I don't really want to pass him up.

This is the first mock I really like, surprisingly.

We really need to come away with a starting safety from this draft and it would be incredible to land one in the 4th and draft a potential #1 receiver in the 2nd.

Not to mention Fisher is a day one impact at LT and makes Gross and all his money expandable.

Archived