• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article on Charles johnson

scpanther22

You know, I could be wrong, but I believe he meant that if Peppers comes back then there will be a hard fought battle between Johnson and Brayton for the other starting spot.

But that's just a guess though...

I stand corrected., you're right, that would be a fight, you just didn't put it in a way that was clear for me, but it should have been... I was separating sides rather than looking at the big picture...

I would love to have Julius back myself, but I am starting to think we could do some things without him that may work. If we could somehow get someone to trade a DT and a draft pick (doesn't have to be an elite DT) for Peppers, we would be a lot better off financially. We could could go out and sign Greg Ellis for 1-2 years and continue to let our young guys to develop. I think we could get just as much production out of that potential D-line as we could with the current roster and Peppers. Not to mention it would cost a hell of a lot less!!!!!!

Get off the crack. Peppers wouldn't even have to try to win that job. I like Brayton just fine, but if Peppers is on the team, he's playing, Brayton will have to try to win the other side, period. You really think the Panthers are going to pay a backup 16.7 million?, really... :lol:

facepalm4.jpg

Get off the crack. Peppers wouldn't even have to try to win that job. I like Brayton just fine, but if Peppers is on the team, he's playing, Brayton will have to try to win the other side, period. You really think the Panthers are going to pay a backup 16.7 million?, really... :lol:

:lol: sorry I was talking about Johnson not Peppers. I will be more clear next time. :thumbsup:

Brown and Johnson could be a nice combo.. if Hilee Taylor can show improvement in his sophomore year, we might have something w/o Peppers..

but obviously i want Pep back..

Unless Peppers does indeed hold out, Taylor will not even make the roster.

We will carry 4 DE's....Brayton, Johnson, Peppers (assuming no hold out), and Brown.

I just don't see why people think that Brayton will beat out Johnson. This is Johnson's year to break out. Not trying to hate, but I expected a little more from the much ballyhooed Brayton (in reference to the Huddle) last year. The way guys were talking I was thinking that he was going to make his mark, but personally I'd give him a C+ or B- for last year's efforts, and I know that Johnson can at least be a B+.

Johnson's development, much like D. Jarrett's, has been necessary and by design, but I believe that it would be ill-advised for the coaches to not get both of them more involved in the game this year.

Unless Peppers does indeed hold out, Taylor will not even make the roster.

We will carry 4 DE's....Brayton, Johnson, Peppers (assuming no hold out), and Brown.

We will keep Taylor. Brayton will sub in for a DT on passing downs so we will carry 5 DE's.

I just don't see why people think that Brayton will beat out Johnson. This is Johnson's year to break out. Not trying to hate, but I expected a little more from the much ballyhooed Brayton (in reference to the Huddle) last year. The way guys were talking I was thinking that he was going to make his mark, but personally I'd give him a C+ or B- for last year's efforts, and I know that Johnson can at least be a B+.

Johnson's development, much like D. Jarrett's, has been necessary and by design, but I believe that it would be ill-advised for the coaches to not get both of them more involved in the game this year.

Johnson has talent but so dose Brayton. Brayton was first round talent messed up by the Raiders but he is a high motor guy that meeks likes. Johnson on the other had is a ? IMO this year with a new system because it has been widely know that he is a slow learner. I just hope both succeed under Meeks.

Johnson has talent but so dose Brayton. Brayton was first round talent messed up by the Raiders but he is a high motor guy that meeks likes. Johnson on the other had is a ? IMO this year with a new system because it has been widely know that he is a slow learner. I just hope both succeed under Meeks.

but brayton is older than johnson..and in meeks system we need the pass rush and johnson beats brayton.. if anything both of these guys need to step up to take over brown..because both will loose playing time to him next year.

another article on johson from panthers.com

But it's that scheme that represents the most decisive change for the third-year defensive end, because what it demands of its defensive ends is as clear as the skies above the practice fields Wednesday.

"Running," Johnson said. "We're going to do a lot of running this year. It's kind of simple, but there's going to be a lot of running, I'll tell you that much.

"It's going to be a big stepping stone for us, I think."

The emphasis would seem to play well into Johnson's skill set; he notched six sacks last year in spite of not starting a game -- although he played in all 16 -- and he has consistently been among the defensive linemen at the front of the position group in post-practice windsprints.

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-1/masons-minutes-de-johnson-out-front/7ce8cecb-2479-40a5-8d86-6846a5476aa7

I think Johnson will indeed step up big time this year, and take the starting job from Brayton. That's not to say Brayton isn't capable of playing the position, as he significantly improved toward the end of last year. But Meeks prefers faster ends who can bring a good pass rush, and I think Johnson can do just that.

I think Johnson and Peppers will be our starting ends next year, with Brown coming in on pass rushing situations and Brayton even possibly playing some tackle. Call me crazy, but I think we'll have one of the best pass rushes next year (assuming Peppers is back).

Call me crazy, but I think we'll have one of the best pass rushes next year (assuming Peppers is back).

OK, you're crazy......j/k. Yes, I think there will at least be a lot of raised eyebrows----from the pundits and from opposing QBs, who will also have their mouths wide open, as Johnson and company come barreling in with arms spread wide to give them an appropriate NFL Sunday salutation.

Archived