• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pro Football Weekly

Haha, this is great. People diss us and you guys whine...now someone picks us to win the South and you whine. What the hell?! :lol: I love this board! :)

And I'm tiiiiiiiiired of flying under the radar. We'll never be BIG TIME if we think of ourselves as helpless little underdogs. If our organization and players can't act like the best, we'll never be the best.

:iagree:

Haha, this is great. People diss us and you guys whine...now someone picks us to win the South and you whine. What the hell?! :lol: I love this board! :)

And I'm tiiiiiiiiired of flying under the radar. We'll never be BIG TIME if we think of ourselves as helpless little underdogs. If our organization and players can't act like the best, we'll never be the best.

i think the players talked about it from two angles when i have heard it...

1) it's easier to sneak up and attack when they don't expect you (or much from you)

2) that means they have to fight for respect. it's the 'thrill of the hunt' mentality. could you imagine if smith ever felt like he finally got the respect he deserves? would he be as good if he didn't have to fight for it?

anyway...here's just one of the comments i've heard a player say about it

d-will:

"We've flown under the radar all year and we've had no problem with it, and if we continue to fly under the radar, we still don't have a problem with it," the Panthers back said. "I have a feeling we won't be flying under the radar anymore."

there is no such thing as under the radar in the NFL. Under the radar is a term used originally by fans who got tired of seeing their team ranked terribly each and every preseason and wanted to have a eason to bark early anyway and has since morphed into a ridiculous belief that a fan sounds cool if he has a desire for his team to hide in the shadows and pounce on unsuspecting and ill-prepared opponents. As if that could actually happen in then most anticipated, most covered, and most popular sport in the US with each new season.

Anyone who says they are glad to be flying under the radar is just as correct if they say they are glad to be the proud owner of a flying pink unicorn with gold teeth who grants three wishes to anybody with webbed feet.

It's just ridiculous....In my opinion.

I see your point, but how else do you explain some of the things you see? Its readily apparent every season where a team simply should not win a particular game and yet pulls it out because their opponent has a tougher game the next week that they are preparing for. "under the radar" does exist, but its mostly just a bubble term for "mediocre team with the circumstance of schedule advantage".

I agree with other posters though, I do not want to be that team. That mentality will only take you so far, its a gimmick that will get you a few games perhaps, maybe even a post season berth - but it will not win you a lombardi - there truly is no 'under the radar' for that game. i would rather them never look past us, always give it their best preparation every single week without exception - because that means you have a dominant team, a team who could compete for a ring.

i've heard players say that they want to be flying under the radar.

I have too. We all have. To me it sounds just as ridiculous when they say it. They walk around 20-30 coaches, twice that many assistants, scouts and coordinators. They sit through countless meetings and film sessions and prepare weekly for the tendencies of each opponent in all three phases of the game. But they think its possible for a team to be "under the radar"? Not likely. Besides as far as players go there is a reason why they make them all take the mind-numbing wonderlic test prior to the draft and its not gauge how smart they are. ;)

i think the players talked about it from two angles when i have heard it...

1) it's easier to sneak up and attack when they don't expect you (or much from you)

2) that means they have to fight for respect. it's the 'thrill of the hunt' mentality. could you imagine if smith ever felt like he finally got the respect he deserves? would he be as good if he didn't have to fight for it?

1. Sneak up? Everyone knows who we are now, and as mentioned before, every team studies their rivals to death anyway. You can't sneak up on anything, per se (only the bottomfeeders can). Now, can you pull off an "upset" against a team you're "supposed" to lose to? Of course. But we just won the South, we should be favored a lot this year.

2. Yes, he would be just as good. He's Smith. He doesn't need to prove anything. He's already cemented himself as ont of the three best WRs in the game. All he needs now is a ring.

So for those of you who like being the underdog, what happens if we win the Super Bowl? Will you still expect us to be underdogs the folowing year? We don't have to be cocky like the Patriots, or assclowns like Dallas, but they have the right mentality.

I have too. We all have. To me it sounds just as ridiculous when they say it. They walk around 20-30 coaches, twice that many assistants, scouts and coordinators. They sit through countless meetings and film sessions and prepare weekly for the tendencies of each opponent in all three phases of the game. But they think its possible for a team to be "under the radar"? Not likely. Besides as far as players go there is a reason why they make them all take the mind-numbing wonderlic test prior to the draft and its not gauge how smart they are. ;)

1. Sneak up? Everyone knows who we are now, and as mentioned before, every team studies their rivals to death anyway. You can't sneak up on anything, per se (only the bottomfeeders can). Now, can you pull off an "upset" against a team you're "supposed" to lose to? Of course. But we just won the South, we should be favored a lot this year.

2. Yes, he would be just as good. He's Smith. He doesn't need to prove anything. He's already cemented himself as ont of the three best WRs in the game. All he needs now is a ring.

So for those of you who like being the underdog, what happens if we win the Super Bowl? Will you still expect us to be underdogs the folowing year? We don't have to be cocky like the Patriots, or assclowns like Dallas, but they have the right mentality.

ftr, i'm not really a fan of that mentality...i just know it's there and i can see some reason for it.

if you are hoping or needing to be under the radar to win, then you aren't really a strong team. i almost see it as some game of king of the hill. you have some big dog on top that controls everything and you have some big challengers for that top spot coming right up to his face to take control. it is a battle between two who have no trouble letting others know that they should be the best.

meanwhile you have some weaker challenger who's only tactic to get control is to do a sneak attack. they may get to the top doing that but how long are they going to hold other challengers off? not for very long.

it's as simple as the bold and the best vs. the rest.

personally i want to be that team that comes charging right to the top head on to take it over and then who stands strong throwing all challengers off rather than that other team. the way the team is building a good foundation, i'm thinking that this is the plan. get on top now and stay on top.

Archived