• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I think Rivera needs to go, but really

CardiacCats

I think so much will depend on how much power JR is willing to relinquish.JR is a quite control freak unlike JJones who is an outspoken control freak.Many of these GMs and coaches want the autonomy to live and die by their decisions and I am not sold that JR will give it to them

I believe it's going to play out somewhat like this. If JR is planning on bringing in a new GM from a different team I believe JR will give him the power to bring in his own coaching staff. It's only right for JR to do something like this because you don't find too many GM's going into a situation without the opportunity to bring in their own people. You don't have to explain to me about what the Bears did with Phil Emery or what the Giants did. Those two teams are completely different teams from the Panthers. They have a winning culture and we haven't been good in a long time.

If JR plans to keep Rivera then Beane has a good chance at becoming GM. I believe this would be a huge mistake for the franchise for various reasons. I really hope we don't go in this direction.

I just can't make sense of JR hiring Accorsi if he's going to do what he wants regardless. I was hoping the Accorsi hiring was JR saying, "well, we tried it my way and failed, lets try someone else's way."

The only way this makes sense is if the guys Rvera wanted to draft panned out and the ones Hurney wanted did not. Accorsi says, "Hey, I think this teams is about to turn the corner, Rivera is a draft genius and just needs a cap guy, and Beane can do that." That's the only way keeping Rivera and Beane and the Accorsi hire makes sense to me.

If Rivera can coach with the killer instinct he has the last 6 weeks I think he needs to stay but if he returns to pussyfooting around like he did before we were mathimaticly emiminated he needs to go.

All in all I expect him to get one more year if we finish 7-9.

"... if the guys Rvera wanted to draft panned out and the ones Hurney wanted did not."

With all due respect, I don't understand this statement. It's not as if Hurney and Rivera were playing rock-paper-scissors to see who gets to make the next pick in the draft or drawing cards to see who's name gets on the draft board higher.

The GM and his staff (scouts, talent guys, player personnel guys), the HC and coordinators all come together to create a draft board with their ranked talent at all positions. Then they prioritize position needs, the players in those positions.

The question mark with the Panthers has always been their evaluation of talent. It's pretty well documented the Panthers scouting staff is smaller than most teams and their assessment of talent has always been suspect in my mind. Fortunately, depending on how you look at it, the Panthers have sucked long and consistently enough they've been blessed with high draft picks, and those aren't the difficult picks to make. The hard choices are when you need a CB and an OG badly, you're in the late second round and you're staring at a draft board where the safety is ranked #8 overall, the OG is ranked #10 overall- what's it going to be? And in my opinion, the Panthers have always tried to find the diamond in the rough instead of making the obvious choice for the better player.

Archived