• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cowboys Cut Loose Greg Ellis

Kevin Greene

Ellis would be a great addition

Panthers have playoff players,Ellis would afford the VET experiences that could help push the Panthers into the Super Bowl while the roster is still pretty much intack.

Ellis could be all it would take for Peppers to Sign and play hard one more season with the understanding he's gone next season .

Could free Peppers up fom double teams as Ellis would draw doubles also !

We are out of money to pay Ellis and Peppers for 2009. That won't happen.

That's not exactly true. We do have some cap money and if Ellis would agree to a backloaded deal (i.e. incentive laden once Peps $17 million is off the books in 2010), then the is a VERY good chance we could land him. The question is does management want Ellis?

Recent history says no, but one could hope. The HurFox model has shifted to letting the young guys play instead of letting them sit a year or two. It has worked mostly, but not in all cases.

Yeah, but we don't have to pursue Peppers, and 4 years is a big difference in the life span of an NFL player.

We're pursuing Peppers now. If thats not evident, I don't know what to tell you. I still say if you could bring in Ellis, do it

We're pursuing Peppers now. If thats not evident, I don't know what to tell you. I still say if you could bring in Ellis, do it

so who would you have us cut...we need DT more than a DE

Peppers

johnson

Brayton

Brown

Taylor

Ellis?

thats too many DEs...

so who would you have us cut...we need DT more than a DE

Peppers

johnson

Brayton

Brown

Taylor

Ellis?

thats too many DEs...

Bring him in to Compete in TC. If he beats someone out **cough cough Brayton** then so be it. Brayton is the only guy expendable. He was good last year, just not great. Ellis would not be an every down DE anyway, that will be Brown. There is no way brown, IMO, doesn't get the nod

Bring him in to Compete in TC. If he beats someone out **cough cough Brayton** then so be it. Brayton is the only guy expendable. He was good last year, just not great. Ellis would not be an every down DE anyway, that will be Brown. There is no way brown, IMO, doesn't get the nod

i dont think brown will start this year...and brayton was good were we needed him and that was the run ..IMO it would not make since to get rid of brayton just because if we do..then at 33 ellis plays one year and peppers play one year then our DE will look like this

Brown

Johnson

Taylor.

we would need a guy to go inside on 3rd downs..and that is good against the run..

To make room for Greg Ellis.... Hilee Taylor can GTFO! He's a situational player who will probably never be anything more than an average backup. Remember Stanley McClover? He was supposed to be the next big thing to replace Rucker... oops!

To make room for Greg Ellis.... Hilee Taylor can GTFO! He's a situational player who will probably never be anything more than an average backup. Remember Stanley McClover? He was supposed to be the next big thing to replace Rucker... oops!

Yeah. Bye bye Taylor.

taylor was pretty good last year when he was in...and under meeks who knows he has upside i dont think we need to cut him for a guy that will play only 1-2 years

Normally I would agree with you. But I honestly believe that the Panthers are a few pieces away from the Super Bowl. Greg Ellis could be one of those pieces. You gotta roll the dice.

Hmmm...I'm trying to think back to how many 34yr old defensive players have been brought in and actually made the difference that got a team to a Super Bowl. I'm drawing a blank. I'm sure it has probably happened before, but those examples are few and far between. I just don't see it happening here unless something happens with Peppers first.

taylor was pretty good last year when he was in...and under meeks who knows he has upside i dont think we need to cut him for a guy that will play only 1-2 years

I agree with this. Let Meeks spend a year with the young talent here and help determine who fits and who's expendable after the year. If we need to bring in a veteran FA next year, have at it. The secondary and linebackers began to build some serious chemistry last year. That dissolved in the secondary in the latter part of last year, and that's really the only reason that I wasn't upset that Lucas was let go. I don't think we need any more shuffling and shaking up on the defensive line. We have talent and we don't need any more distractions. As far as I'm concerned, we have three starting ends in Pep, Brayton, and Johnson. I want Johnson to get his - he deserves it. I really think he'll be our next big defensive building block, provided he's given the opportunity to start.

Archived