• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cowboys Cut Loose Greg Ellis

Kevin Greene

Peppers is not going to hold out, not unless he just doesn't care about football at all anymore. It would be career suicide for him. So would taking the money and tanking the season. There is not a chance in hell that the Patriots, Steelers or Cowboys would want him after that.

Peppers is not going to hold out, not unless he just doesn't care about football at all anymore. It would be career suicide for him.

Ive heard that argument often. I dont believe it though. We are talking about a league that keeps rehiring questionable characters. Im not saying the league is bad, quite the opposite, but if you can play, you will be signed. TO has a job, Vick will get a job, PACMAN kept getting a job, Ray Lewis for the Ravens, the ravens former RB (forget his name) who served jail time came back and played. I could go on and on.

When someone takes a year off, by not signing with a team is nothing compared to other scenarios. I think Julius Peppers did more damage to himself taking a year off while playing on the team (Think 2 seasons ago), then if he sits out this season.

I dont like it, believe me, but there are worse things.

pete

If a high-profiled player became available at most other positions, I would pass. However, this is a need and Greg could definitely be of help. This would open Brayton up to be used more as a pass rushing DT than a DE, something we desperately need. The move would give us more depth and versatility, as stated in the scario above.

If Ellis isn't asking for the moon and is willing to play for #2 DE money, this is a no-brainer pick up, IMO.

Ive heard that argument often. I dont believe it though. We are talking about a league that keeps rehiring questionable characters. Im not saying the league is bad, quite the opposite, but if you can play, you will be signed. TO has a job, Vick will get a job, PACMAN kept getting a job, Ray Lewis for the Ravens, the ravens former RB (forget his name) who served jail time came back and played. I could go on and on.

When someone takes a year off, by not signing with a team is nothing compared to other scenarios. I think Julius Peppers did more damage to himself taking a year off while playing on the team (Think 2 seasons ago), then if he sits out this season.

I dont like it, believe me, but there are worse things.

pete

Sure, he would probably still get signed by another team next season, but he won't get anything close to the money he would be passing up this year, and he sure as hell won't be able to pick and choose where he gets to play, which is supposed to be his number 1 priority, even above money. It would make no sense at all for him to hold out.

Only sign him if you have the intention of getting Peppers out of here before the season. We don't need guys taking snaps from players like Johnson and Brown who will be here long term. Ellis is a band aid at best, IMO. Johnson and Brown need to split snaps and see which one of them will be ready to contribute immediately. I'd rather not see Brown waste a year of development by playing only 3rd down.

I am not trying to be funny, but a Bandaid is exactly what the doctor might order in this case. The Panthers were not too far away from becoming a champion last year, and a player the caliber of Ellis may they key to a trophy. We have a relatively young team, so I don't think throwing Ellis into the mix for a couple of years is going to have a negative impact. Even if it did, it wouldn't be irreparable damage.

Ellis will definitely be looking for big money, it's his final contract and everybody knows that. May certainly be less than Peppers and I've always liked Greg, but he's a helluvalot older at the same time...

This situation has some potential IMO. Ellis was moved from DE to OLB and wasn't exactly thrilled about it. He had his best season in 2007 in spite of that and received Comeback Player of the Year coming off the achilles tendon injury. He felt like he was already on the way out. He won't need to be paid 17 million for one year. All we need is for Jerry Jones to give us a Roy Williams like offer for Peppers (2010 1st, 3rd and 6th) and we will be more than set. The Cowboys can then have Peppers play pass rush LB and they were on his short list. I like it, but I doubt it will happen.

This situation has some potential IMO. Ellis was moved from DE to OLB and wasn't exactly thrilled about it. He had his best season in 2007 in spite of that and received Comeback Player of the Year coming off the achilles tendon injury. He felt like he was already on the way out. He won't need to be paid 17 million for one year. All we need is for Jerry Jones to give us a Roy Williams like offer for Peppers (2010 1st, 3rd and 6th) and we will be more than set. The Cowboys can then have Peppers play pass rush LB and they were on his short list. I like it, but I doubt it will happen.

I could definitely get on board with that.

Another thing to consider: competition for his services may be pretty fierce which may make the price too rich for the blood. I agree that a band aid would be a good thing in this case though.
We do have something to offer that the Cowboys couldn't: a chance to win some playoff games.:D

the ravens former RB (forget his name) who served jail time came back and played.

Are you talking about Jamal Lewis, on the Browns now, who served time for Cocaine trafficking?

And forgive me if I missed something, but if the Cowgirls cut him, why is all the talk centered around a trade with Dallas?

And forgive me if I missed something, but if the Cowgirls cut him, why is all the talk centered around a trade with Dallas?

Since Ellis was cut and is a free agent, the trade talk is only relevant to Peppers. Folks are speculating about a trade because the role Ellis played in Dallas is EXACTLY what Peppers has expressed an interest in doing and I think Dallas was on his very short list of teams he would like to play for.

Archived