• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cowboys Cut Loose Greg Ellis

Kevin Greene

The problem is that he's 34yrs old. Do you really want to have to cut a young guy who's still developing for a guy who will probably only play for 1-2 more years? Unless they work a late trade with Peppers, I don't think it's worth it.

The problem is that he's 34yrs old. Do you really want to have to cut a young guy who's still developing for a guy who will probably only play for 1-2 more years? Unless they work a late trade with Peppers, I don't think it's worth it.

Peppers is 30, he's not that young

I like it. It would gives us veteran depth at a position, minus Peppers here physically or mentally, that is not overly talented. I could deal with our DL if we make a move such as this. Another veteran DT would be nice...I'll leave it alone. I'm just not banking on Peppers playing up to snuff assuming he's not a holdout.

Brayton is a nice role player, but let's not kid ourselves, he shouldn't be starting. Johnson is an unknown. IS HE the fixture at RDE for the future? I'm not sure any one of us can say yes 100% to that. Can Brown come in a play like a seasoned vet as a rookie? Maybe, but most likely he'll have a learning curve like most rookies. With all those variables at play, it would be nice to have a known commodity to come in a help out for 2-3 years.

Lastly, if Ellis is signed for 2-3 years, he'll help smooth the post-Peppers era which, as we all know, WILL NOT be here in 2010. There are couple of concerns on this team and the DL is definitely one of them. Again, not to sound like a broken record, but the Panthers are few starting players shy from being as solid as the NFL elites.

Only sign him if you have the intention of getting Peppers out of here before the season. We don't need guys taking snaps from players like Johnson and Brown who will be here long term. Ellis is a band aid at best, IMO. Johnson and Brown need to split snaps and see which one of them will be ready to contribute immediately. I'd rather not see Brown waste a year of development by playing only 3rd down.

Only sign him if you have the intention of getting Peppers out of here before the season. We don't need guys taking snaps from players like Johnson and Brown who will be here long term. Ellis is a band aid at best, IMO. Johnson and Brown need to split snaps and see which one of them will be ready to contribute immediately. I'd rather not see Brown waste a year of development by playing only 3rd down.

him being a 3rd down player this year..means he will be geting good devlopment..geting use to the bigger OT and stoping the run and maybe puting on some pounds..to many teams throw out there players too fast..we prob will have him on passing downs this year to develop him

We've finally got some cap room, so let's go out and sign at least ONE FA guy that help contribute. The two camp bodies we signed after the draft don't count and won't be here in September.

I think this move would solidify an unsettled DE situation. This move would also give Peps the hint he's no longer needed. He may then lessen his demands and if not, his holdout wouldn't hurt the team outside of cap space.

Archived