• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thoughts on the draft with our new likely draft spot

JawnyBlaze

Not going to do another full blown mock until the offseason, but here's how I'm thinking I'd like the draft to go down with us likely picking in the 10-16 range.

In the first, there's always the slimmest of slim hopes Star drops to us but I'm not going to get my hopes up on that. Hankins is still my 2nd choice, and there's a decent chance he'll be available for us. Hankins' stock seems to be taking a bit of a hit lately (but nowhere near the freefall some around here have been talking about). So IF he has a bad combine and doesn't look like the kind of guy we need and we stick at our spot, at the 10-16 pick I'm liking Allen (or whoever is the top WR prospect), Warmack (if closer to the back end of the teens than the front), or maaaaaybe Milliner (honestly I haven't been incredibly impressed by the youtube I've seen on him, but all the talk is he's the top CB in this draft and there's some decent prospects out there). At our other biggest need, Safety, there's no prospects even close to worth a mid 1st round pick, maybe none in the 1st at all.

In the second, if we get Hankins I'd want a WR (there's 1 or 2 guys with elite potential that will be sure 1st round picks, but after that it's VERY crowded at the "late first/early second round grade" guys...at least one of them should be available) or an OL. Someone like Matthews/Lewan *could* drop, Eric Fisher, Dallas Thomas, Fluker, and there's a couple of Guards that escape my mind at the moment that could be good picks there too. WR is my first choice in the 2nd if we get Hankins in the 1st though. If we get something other than a DT in the 1st, I want a DT in the 2nd. A big guy, no strictly UTs. Short, J or S Williams, Jenkins are the only ones I can think of that fit the profile that could be around in the 2nd.

In the fourth, OL or TE.

In the fifth, K.

In the sixth, BPA. Someone like Dennard or Burfict that fell due to character or injury concerns (not TOO major though...).

The only position I feel we HAVE to hit is DT. I have no confidence in R. Edwards being on the team, or effective if he is, next year and I'll be sick to my stomach if Fua is starting for us. There are NO FA DTs that we'll be able to afford and are worth a poo, especially if we want to address S and/or hopefully resign Hardy.

Here is something you might or might not have thought of.

If we get rid of D Williams and his big contract after the season, you think we will pick up a RB in the second? Maybe the kid out of UNC?

Just don't think Stewart by himself will be our best situation. RB at that point might be more of a need than WR. As I mentioned a week or so ago, the more comfortable Cam gets with his reads and timing, the better our current group of WR's look.

http://www.gbnreport.com/scoutsnotebook.htm

So, if we are sitting at 14 and Geno or Barkley are still on the board with the Jets picking 15, and we get a call from KC wanting to give us their second rounder and next years first for our pick at 14, what do you do?

Not going to do another full blown mock until the offseason, but here's how I'm thinking I'd like the draft to go down with us likely picking in the 10-16 range.

In the first, there's always the slimmest of slim hopes Star drops to us but I'm not going to get my hopes up on that. Hankins is still my 2nd choice, and there's a decent chance he'll be available for us. Hankins' stock seems to be taking a bit of a hit lately (but nowhere near the freefall some around here have been talking about). So IF he has a bad combine and doesn't look like the kind of guy we need and we stick at our spot, at the 10-16 pick I'm liking Allen (or whoever is the top WR prospect), Warmack (if closer to the back end of the teens than the front), or maaaaaybe Milliner (honestly I haven't been incredibly impressed by the youtube I've seen on him, but all the talk is he's the top CB in this draft and there's some decent prospects out there). At our other biggest need, Safety, there's no prospects even close to worth a mid 1st round pick, maybe none in the 1st at all.

In the second, if we get Hankins I'd want a WR (there's 1 or 2 guys with elite potential that will be sure 1st round picks, but after that it's VERY crowded at the "late first/early second round grade" guys...at least one of them should be available) or an OL. Someone like Matthews/Lewan *could* drop, Eric Fisher, Dallas Thomas, Fluker, and there's a couple of Guards that escape my mind at the moment that could be good picks there too. WR is my first choice in the 2nd if we get Hankins in the 1st though. If we get something other than a DT in the 1st, I want a DT in the 2nd. A big guy, no strictly UTs. Short, J or S Williams, Jenkins are the only ones I can think of that fit the profile that could be around in the 2nd.

In the fourth, OL or TE.

In the fifth, K.

In the sixth, BPA. Someone like Dennard or Burfict that fell due to character or injury concerns (not TOO major though...).

The only position I feel we HAVE to hit is DT. I have no confidence in R. Edwards being on the team, or effective if he is, next year and I'll be sick to my stomach if Fua is starting for us. There are NO FA DTs that we'll be able to afford and are worth a poo, especially if we want to address S and/or hopefully resign Hardy.

Fully agree. Exactly how I feel too. DT has to be address in this draft. I really hope Hankins fall to us but it's still very hard to believe it.

If we're picking between the 10-16 spot, I'm likening Sheldon Richardson or Keenan Allen. I'm not a fan of taking an OL or going with Milliner. Milliner is very lucky that Amerson is having a bad year.

If we get rid of D Williams and his big contract after the season, you think we will pick up a RB in the second? Maybe the kid out of UNC?

Just don't think Stewart by himself will be our best situation. RB at that point might be more of a need than WR. As I mentioned a week or so ago, the more comfortable Cam gets with his reads and timing, the better our current group of WR's look.

No. Cam can run, we have J-stew and tolbert. Armond Smith and Tauren Poole both looked great in preseason and are still on our team. We are set at Running back and have so many other holes, we won't even sniff a RB.

WOW!!!!! Just WOW. Im speechless.

No. Cam can run, we have J-stew and tolbert. Armond Smith and Tauren Poole both looked great in preseason and are still on our team. We are set at Running back and have so many other holes, we won't even sniff a RB.

Well, since the Panthers, unlike other teams in their situation, will rarely play the backups other than injury, who knows how our backup RB's will work? If I saw these guys on the field and could make a judgement, then these types of worries might not exist.

Archived