• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pat yas ranking NFC SOUTH RBs

dpanthersman

Another thing, if Atlanta had a more talented and consistent back behind Turner, Turner's carries would go down. So the whole "carrying the offense" thing is bullcrap. In todays NFL, you don't want 1 back to carry the offense if he doesn't have to. It just to much wear and tear on your back, and he's not as fresh in December and Janurary.
this is a huge deal and a big part of the reason that i think we are going to finish well ahead of atlanta next year.

prove otherwise....i dare you. i'm saying that it goes further than indoors...it's indoors, on turf, at home, against weakened run Ds. those are the just about the ONLY times he has big games.

fixed for accuracy.

if all that matters is yards...then yes. you give williams or even stewart as many carries as turner had and what do their yards look like? what do their TDs look like? compare that with turner. our backup looks better than your starter.

let's take a look at how "the burner" looked against the defenses he faced last year.

for a visual aid, lets look at these teams turner played last year...judging the quality of the run D.

left side shows the 32 teams ranked by run defense for 2008. The left column has Atlanta's 2008 opponents highlighted, and the right column highlights their 2009 opponents....

falcons.jpg

top 20 defenses (10 games):

minny: 19/70/1 3.7 ypa (away)

philly: 17/58/0 3.4 (away)

chicago: 25/54/0 2.2 ypa (home)

san D: 31/120/0 3.9 ypa (away)

n'orleans: 27/96/1 3.6 ypa (home), 18/61/1 3.4 ypa (away)

tampa: 14/42/0 3.0 ypa (away), 32/152/1 4.8 ypa(home after carolina exploded their run D)

carolina: 18/56/0 3.1 ypa (home), 24/117/4 4.9 ypa (home)

average against top 10 run Ds:

20/60/.33 3 ypa

avg against top 11-20 run Ds:

23/92/1

avg. against everyone else (6 games):

25/145/1.5 5.8 ypa

next year all teams they play are top 20 run Ds (except bills who are 22nd and have a better run D than the 6 teams he killed). going on that, this is what his record could look like next year:

6 games against top 10 run Ds @ 20/60/.33 3 ypa = 120/360/2

9 games against top 11-20 run Ds @ 23/92/1 = 207/828/9

and on the off chance he treats the bills like he did those last 6 teams this is what he could look like by season's end:

352/1333/12.5

compared to '08:

376/1699/17

352/1333/12.5 this isn't bad but i would also consider this to be near his ceiling for next year.

run Ds are going to be much stouter. pass rushes are going to be fierce. how is that Oline going to hold up against these good defenses? if i was atlanta...i'd be scared of this.

btw...i took some of this info from a discussion i was a part of at another board.

I agree with what your saying but that was had as crap to read and understand. I think the point has been made and the argument won. Williams is IMO the better all around back.

I agree with what your saying but that was had as crap to read and understand. I think the point has been made and the argument won. Williams is IMO the better all around back.
i know...sorry. just considered it to be overwhelming evidence that turner is generally overrated except for in the most ideal of situations.

Archived