• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dwayne Jarrett among top 10 receivers ready to break out.

The Answer

Yes, because if you don't have success by 22 years old like Dwayne Jarrett then you might as well quit the game. Good point.

You do realize that Jarrett is actually younger than most WR that actually spend 4 years at college, correct?

All the WR in the draft that people were panting over that were upper classmen are actually as old if not older than Jarrett, correct?

Not to mention he has been buried in the depth chart for the last two years and still is to an extent with Steve Smith, the best WR in the game, and Moose who is about as underrated of a 10,000 yard receiver as there is in football.

Do people actually think before they type around here? In a league where Keary Colbert is STILL getting chances after proving time and time again that he's not NFL material, we have people saying this is Jarrett's last chance when he's five years younger, bigger, and more talented.

If we let Jarrett go if he's not a 500 yard receiver this year, then we're stupid. Some team will pick him up, polish off the rough corners, and turn him into a Keyshawn Johnson type target in the passing game. Last chance my ass. He hasn't even had his first chance. All he did when we brought him into the game last year was catch first down passes.

totally agreed.

he's a good solid project who has all the tools. it's just a matter of getting his head into it and if his head isn't where it should be now, it's close. at that age there is still a lot of work that can be done. if we let him go someone is going to hit the jack pot getting a receiver with that much talent and that ability to catch. jarrett has another 10-15 years to be productive. it would be a monumental shame for us to miss out on that and a monumentally dumb thing for us to let him go.

totally agreed.

he's a good solid project who has all the tools. it's just a matter of getting his head into it and if his head isn't where it should be now, it's close. at that age there is still a lot of work that can be done. if we let him go someone is going to hit the jack pot getting a receiver with that much talent and that ability to catch. jarrett has another 10-15 years to be productive. it would be a monumental shame for us to miss out on that and a monumentally dumb thing for us to let him go.

True. I also think people underrate Steve Smith as a leadership guy or at least a force in helping these young WR realize how important it is that they focus. Smith never had the advantage of size or pedigree to get him multiple chances, so when he sees a kid like Jarrett who has all the talent in the world kind of slacking off a bit it makes him furious. I'm sure we all remember the time he told him he needed to go watch film... I would imagine stuff like that happens all the time. And nobody is dumb enough to talk smack back to Smith. I think having him on the roster is teaching all of our offensive players a tremendous work ethic when they see how hard he works to stay ahead of the game. The man works twice as hard as everybody else.

Plus, Smith knows that the more attention the other WR get the less attention he is going to get. That means big games for Smith. I have faith that Steve is pushing this kid in all the right ways that only a peer can do. I think a guy like Jarrett may have gotten used to tuning out coaches in the past, but when your peers come to you and start saying you better get your ass in gear... it's time to listen. I think the advancements we saw from Jarrett last season were a direct product of him getting extra attention from the coaching staff as well as guys like Moose and Smith.

Yes, because if you don't have success by 22 years old like Dwayne Jarrett then you might as well quit the game. Good point.

You do realize that Jarrett is actually younger than most WR that actually spend 4 years at college, correct?

All the WR in the draft that people were panting over that were upper classmen are actually as old if not older than Jarrett, correct?

Not to mention he has been buried in the depth chart for the last two years and still is to an extent with Steve Smith, the best WR in the game, and Moose who is about as underrated of a 10,000 yard receiver as there is in football.

Do people actually think before they type around here? In a league where Keary Colbert is STILL getting chances after proving time and time again that he's not NFL material, we have people saying this is Jarrett's last chance when he's five years younger, bigger, and more talented.

If we let Jarrett go if he's not a 500 yard receiver this year, then we're stupid. Some team will pick him up, polish off the rough corners, and turn him into a Keyshawn Johnson type target in the passing game. Last chance my ass. He hasn't even had his first chance. All he did when we brought him into the game last year was catch first down passes.

What he said lol

Last shot with the Panthers, genius.

Even that refinement of your position is foolish as this guy a has done what he was asked and has improved along the way. At 22 he has the advantage of the tutelage of Moose and Smitty with playing time in the NFL. This is a guy the Panthers will hold on to until he gets a chance with the Panthers to play a bigger part. What disappointments do you see in this guy to want to blow him out ?

To many fans always want Change rather than Progress. A Large part of the reason I love the Panthers is that they are a Very Smart Organization. They'll not throw away a rough diamond in order to grab a shiny rhinestone very often and not likely here where they know the quality of their man.

Then maybe you should have specified, genius.

I figured it was obvious. I just don't buy the "Fox loyalty to vets" in this case. I understand we brought Hackett in and that he had the chance to be good...but he didn't play much either. The Broncos played a rookie WR with great success as did the Eagles last season. I know we're a run-first team but I can't help but thinking that if the kid had it, he'd play. I just can't see him catching 10-12 balls this season and staying. It reminds me of another USC "great". No, not Colbert. Mike Williams. He's been a bust...as was Colbert. Both had records at USC...as did Jarrett. I'm pulling for the guy, but the only time a player sits and does next to nothing for three or more seasons, he's a QB.

I'm iffy right now on Jarrett. Usually by year 3 a WR has established themselves.

It's not like we are running a complicated offense.

I just don't like the development of WR's from the coaching staff right now. To further highlight this when other recievers go to other teams they are total flame outs. That is not good.

Because sooner or later other teams are just gonna go and look at a value vs impact chart and laugh when the Panthers have a free agent WR.

I hope he rocks this year. 35 catches + should be his goal.

Agreed and repped

Even that refinement of your position is foolish as this guy a has done what he was asked and has improved along the way. At 22 he has the advantage of the tutelage of Moose and Smitty with playing time in the NFL. This is a guy the Panthers will hold on to until he gets a chance with the Panthers to play a bigger part. What disappointments do you see in this guy to want to blow him out ?

To many fans always want Change rather than Progress. A Large part of the reason I love the Panthers is that they are a Very Smart Organization. They'll not throw away a rough diamond in order to grab a shiny rhinestone very often and not likely here where they know the quality of their man.

have to say I agree...

He Progressed last year IMO and had some Big catches but in a Run first offense its gonna be hard to "Break Out" when your the #3 WR. There is no way he knocks off Moose IMO.
^^^ this.

expectations must be hampered for jarrett. just because of where he is on the depth chart his targets are going to be relatively low. smith is going to be getting about 9 targets per game. moose will get about 5 or 6. jarrett probably 4 or 5 and he may catch 2-3 of those. this isn't a knock against jarrett....this is just the way it will likely go because he is behind moose and smith and will be seeing the field a little less than those two and he will be maybe 3rd on the check down list (also have to throw RB/TE/FB in there). also this is very much a run first team by design. ball isn't thrown a whole lot compared to other teams.

He Progressed last year IMO and had some Big catches but in a Run first offense its gonna be hard to "Break Out" when your the #3 WR. There is no way he knocks off Moose IMO.

Good point but I think the passing game will be a little more prominent than last season. Teams are probably going to try and replicate the strategy Arizona used in the playoffs; stack the box and force Jake to beat them.

Archived