• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Our new coaching staff..

Panthers4lyfe

We need to scrap this transition idea to a 3-4....

We don't have the personnel. We don't have the cap space. We can't just cut/trade these contract players without some type of cap penalty...

The new GM needs to salvage what we have right now. We are simply not in a position to undergo a defensive scheme change.

3-4 idea is nonsense right now IMO

Normally I'd agree with you, but after seeing the Colts switch to a 3-4 this year, I believe it can be done with ANY team. The colts were less prepared for the 3-4 than we are and they are having a great season. If Freeney can play in a 3-4 than CJ most definitely can.

NT is the biggest player need for a 3-4. He had to be big strong and able to take up the C/G. The whole purpose of the 3-4 is for the NT and DE's to take on the whole Oline and free up the LB's for blitzing and pass rush.

We do not have a line for this at this time. Mayby the LB's but not the Dline. and we have bigger needs than another damn LB. We need Safetys and CB's, Olinemen Like RG and RT.

Lets hope the new staff does not rip apart the team to start over, rather build on whats already here and just fill in the wholes with new blood over the next few season.

Why is everyone forgetting about beason? Before the whole Achilles tear he was easily the second best MLB behind Willis of San fransico. Even if after these 2 injuries he come back 3/4 the player he was that's still an above average linebacker.

Some people will disagree with you about that.

Normally I'd agree with you, but after seeing the Colts switch to a 3-4 this year, I believe it can be done with ANY team. The colts were less prepared for the 3-4 than we are and they are having a great season. If Freeney can play in a 3-4 than CJ most definitely can.

With our team I'd rather follow the Seahawks / Bears defensive model

Freeney and Mathis are smaller than CJ and Hardy. CJ and Hardy are better suited with their hands in the dirt. I hope we stay with the 4-3. No need to make the transition when our defense is a couple of players away from easily being top10. And hopefully the next HC sees that. It's looking like we finally have a fearsome duo at DE since the Pep and Ruck days.

Freeney and Mathis are smaller than CJ and Hardy. CJ and Hardy are better suited with their hands in the dirt. I hope we stay with the 4-3. No need to make the transition when our defense is a couple of players away from easily being top10. And hopefully the next HC sees that. It's looking like we finally have a fearsome duo at DE since the Pep and Ruck days.

Freeney 6'1" 270lbs, and CJ is 6'2" 275lbs. They are basically the same size.

Hardy could be a 3-tech in a 3-4 scheme.. he is big enough at 290lbs. He gets most of his sacks from the 3-tech spot in our current scheme, it seems.

Both of the Edwards have experience in 3-4 schemes in the NFL. Fua also was a 3-4 NT at Stanford.

Keiser played the 3-4 OLB position at Stanford.. and Applewhite played 3-4 OLB at San Diego.

We'd probably have to draft a guy like Jarvis Jones from Georgia to play OLB..

I don't think we should switch to a 3-4 defense.. but I do think it can be done with a couple more pieces.

Freeney 6'1" 270lbs, and CJ is 6'2" 275lbs. They are basically the same size.

Hardy could be a 3-tech in a 3-4 scheme.. he is big enough at 290lbs. He gets most of his sacks from the 3-tech spot in our current scheme, it seems.

Both of the Edwards have experience in 3-4 schemes in the NFL. Fua also was a 3-4 NT at Stanford.

Keiser played the 3-4 OLB position at Stanford.. and Applewhite played 3-4 OLB at San Diego.

We'd probably have to draft a guy like Jarvis Jones from Georgia to play OLB..

I don't think we should switch to a 3-4 defense.. but I do think it can be done with a couple more pieces.

It can be done. I just don't believe we would be getting the best out of our players. Also Ron is most likely gone, same with Applewhite. Who knows what a new HC would think of Keiser. Dwan is flourishing in a 4-3. Hardy should be rushing the passer rather than taking up blocks.

CJ has always appeared bigger than Freeney to me. Freeney looks a lot more agile too.

Why is everyone forgetting about beason? Before the whole Achilles tear he was easily the second best MLB behind Willis of San fransico. Even if after these 2 injuries he come back 3/4 the player he was that's still an above average linebacker.

Until beason proves otherwise he is nothing. He wasn't even 3/400 of the player he was. Maybe there's a chance he can come back and be something useful, but it would be insane to make plans as if it will happen.

Archived