• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Our new coaching staff..

Panthers4lyfe

I really thought he played under center.

He does some, but if I had to guess, I would say that it's < 20% of the snaps in a game.

But, at the next level, Star is definitely a Ngata-comparable player. He's quick, he can shed blockers, he can bull rush. Star has a couple of questions, though. The main one being that a DT should dominate opposing college offensive lines if they're going to get drafted highly. He hasn't done that this year, at all. Against Mountain West competition. Is that because he's being double and tripled team? Maybe.

Why is it that we all think Ngata is a NT?

I feel lied to.

On that note though he causes a lot of havoc playing DE in a 3-4 and we just need a fatty to play NT (Or a well conditioned athlete in the case of Wilfork) would you draft Star to play 3-4 DE?

I know Walter has him listed as the #1 NT but if he works better playing like Ngata I'm game for whatever makes our Defense monsters.

He does some, but if I had to guess, I would say that it's < 20% of the snaps in a game.

But, at the next level, Star is definitely a Ngata-comparable player. He's quick, he can shed blockers, he can bull rush. Star has a couple of questions, though. The main one being that a DT should dominate opposing college offensive lines if they're going to get drafted highly. He hasn't done that this year, at all. Against Mountain West competition. Is that because he's being double and tripled team? Maybe.

Utah moved to the Pac-12.

And I thought the general rule of thumb is you can't judge a DT based off stats. They are really all about the eye tests and how many blocks they can eat up.

Why is it that we all think Ngata is a NT?

I feel lied to.

On that note though he causes a lot of havoc playing DE in a 3-4 and we just need a fatty to play NT (Or a well conditioned athlete in the case of Wilfork) would you draft Star to play 3-4 DE?

I know Walter has him listed as the #1 NT but if he works better playing like Ngata I'm game for whatever makes our Defense monsters.

I'd definitely draft him to play a 34 DE, he could be a monster at the next level. He's a very high-risk/high-reward player, though, so I don't know if I would draft him in the Top 5.

As far as a NT, honestly Ron Edwards (if he can come back from two pretty severe injuries) played NT in Kansas City, so he's an option, even if he's just a rotational player. Fua was a NT in college in a 34, and could definitely player better there than in at the NT position in a 43.

However, if I was looking to draft players for a 34, I would look at players like Jackson Jeffcoat from Texas (might drop to the early 2nd because of a pectoral injury) who is very similar to a Whitney Mercilus or Ryan Kerrigan. Can be a stand-up, drop into coverage guy, can be a hand in the dirt pass-rusher, or can be a hybrid of both.

Then there's Alex Okafor, also from Texas, who is more similar to a JJ Watt style player. More suited at the DE position in a 34, but can be incredibly disruptive.

Then there's guys like Jesse Williams, from Alabama, who could dominate the game from the NT position in a 34.

camon guys... you dont want a combo of Te'o/Keek?? dude...

we dont NEED that, but thats like never ending potential right there.. like I cant even process that

The truth is, we are going to part ways with some players we are going to miss, but we will get draft picks/ players for them that will fill our needs.

..............................................Martin...................................................................Godfrey...........................................................

.......................................................................TE"O...............KEUCKLY..........................................................................................

Norman.................................Alexander...........Dwan......Ron.....Hardy..............CJ....................................Gamble.....................

I mean you could switch any of those guys around on the Dline, I dont even have Anderson and Beason on there. Anderson could be an OLB. Dont forget about draft pick/ players we traded for to come in and fill in. idk i just think the Te'o + Keukly would just be insane.. and not TOO drastic of wholes on Defense. i mean seriously compensate an open cap from released/ traded players and picks and we could be set. Dont forget Norman and Alexander were late 4th and 5th round!

that's only 10 players you have there Vince Lombardi

Utah moved to the Pac-12.

And I thought the general rule of thumb is you can't judge a DT based off stats. They are really all about the eye tests and how many blocks they can eat up.

You're right, sorry about that. Still, the level of competition isn't that great (minus Oregon, Oregon State, and USC to a degree).

But, you're right, it is hard to judge a DT from the stand-point of stats. But, if you're going to draft a guy in the Top 5 at the DT position, he needs to be like a Suh-esque player. Just unblockable. I'm not sure if Star is that player.

Can Star be great? Absolutely. But, like I said, I think he's a high-risk/high-reward player. He could boom more than any DT in a long time (with the exclusion of Suh) or he could bust like we've never seen.

You're right, sorry about that. Still, the level of competition isn't that great (minus Oregon, Oregon State, and USC to a degree).

But, you're right, it is hard to judge a DT from the stand-point of stats. But, if you're going to draft a guy in the Top 5 at the DT position, he needs to be like a Suh-esque player. Just unblockable. I'm not sure if Star is that player.

Can Star be great? Absolutely. But, like I said, I think he's a high-risk/high-reward player. He could boom more than any DT in a long time (with the exclusion of Suh) or he could bust like we've never seen.

Suh honestly should have won the Heisman. I think he batted 6 balls down against VT, and only got better from there.

I guess none of this matters till we find out who is coaching the team. Right now I just want us to get some confidence installed in our young players.

Guest Padula1289

Why is everyone forgetting about beason? Before the whole Achilles tear he was easily the second best MLB behind Willis of San fransico. Even if after these 2 injuries he come back 3/4 the player he was that's still an above average linebacker.

the 4-3 has worked wonders for us this year, but if our new staff comes in wanting a 3-4 i think we should trade james anderson and jon beason.. then solidify the front 7 with the drafting of Manti T'eo.. a front 7 of hardy, ron, dwan with cj T'eo Keek TD/Alexander is very good. yes early but its a lost season lol. go ahead and say im an idiot but just a thought

Archived