• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Has Jake actually been underrated? Perusing passer rating.

top dawg

The only 'old' name on there is Staubach's. Most of the others had their careers start in the 90s' or later. But it renforces why the QB rating stat is pure manure, look at who is NOT listed. Starr, Bradshaw, Graham, Van Brocklin, Fouts, Griese (Bob that is), and, the most egregious omission of all, JOHNNY U.! All these guys (except Fouts) won championships. Other notables missing are Tarkenton, Elway, and Aikman (again, the only one not winning a championship being Tarkenton!).

These ratings are a waste of time..

A lot of those QB's you named rarely even threw the ball, almost all of them had great running games, and almost all of them had great defenses, so their QB ratings didn't even mean much. Not to mention the fact that there was a huge gap back then between the "haves and have nots" because there was no free agency.

Nowadays though, you have teams that throw the ball 35-40 times a game, so the QB ratings, no matter how flawed, are a more accurate way of judging them than just looking at passing stats.

This tells me that passer rating is the biggest BS stat in football. Every analyst on TV agrees with this statement as well.

Is Quarterback Rating different from Passer Rating? Because in the thread, "A Different Way to Interpret QB Performance" (paraphrased), you said, (again paraphrased), "Quarterback rating is the most important stat there is by my standards". So which is it?

:D

Passer rating is only one stat to look at. It is an important one but not one that can give anyone a warm fuzzy about their QB all by itself.

EVERY stat has to be taken with a grain of salt because there is room for argument in virtually all of them.

Letting a number tell you if you have a good player at a particular position by itself is asinine IMO. Even PAT's are not definitive (virtually the easiest play in football) when you take blocked kicks into account.

It's a team sport and Jake seems to have a good hold on the team's loyalty (according to public statements made by players and staff) That is the one real thing he has going for him if indeed we all assume that the entire roster is 100% confident in Jake as their QB that can lead them to the 2010 SB.

Personal opinion aside, it's too late to hope for anything else this year anyway and I think we ALL hope he does a good job.

He certainly has a lot to prove coming off that debacle several months ago and one thing I can say positive about Jake above anything else is that I truly believe that in spite of his shortcomings as one of the 32 best Quarterbacks in the world (one would think since he has a starting job) he has a determination and motivation to get it done. Faults and deficiencies aside Jake believes he belongs and will bust his ass to do the right thing.

That quality is admirable and commendable.

Smiley-Clapping2.gif i like the perspective.

The only 'old' name on there is Staubach's. Most of the others had their careers start in the 90s' or later. But it renforces why the QB rating stat is pure manure, look at who is NOT listed. Starr, Bradshaw, Graham, Van Brocklin, Fouts, Griese (Bob that is), and, the most egregious omission of all, JOHNNY U.! All these guys (except Fouts) won championships. Other notables missing are Tarkenton, Elway, and Aikman (again, the only one not winning a championship being Tarkenton!).

These ratings are a waste of time..

Hit the link and check out the remainder of the list. I believe that you may be surprised. I believe that looking at the list in it's totality makes this particular measure a little dicey, and just shows how other stats and the intangibles are all that much more important.

Hit the link and check out the remainder of the list. I believe that you may be surprised. I believe that looking at the list in it's totality makes this particular measure a little dicey, and just shows how other stats and the intangibles are all that much more important.

Quite surprising indeed...

Passer rating is only one stat to look at. It is an important one but not one that can give anyone a warm fuzzy about their QB all by itself.

EVERY stat has to be taken with a grain of salt because there is room for argument in virtually all of them.

Letting a number tell you if you have a good player at a particular position by itself is asinine IMO. Even PAT's are not definitive (virtually the easiest play in football) when you take blocked kicks into account.

It's a team sport and Jake seems to have a good hold on the team's loyalty (according to public statements made by players and staff) That is the one real thing he has going for him if indeed we all assume that the entire roster is 100% confident in Jake as their QB that can lead them to the 2010 SB.

Personal opinion aside, it's too late to hope for anything else this year anyway and I think we ALL hope he does a good job.

He certainly has a lot to prove coming off that debacle several months ago and one thing I can say positive about Jake above anything else is that I truly believe that in spite of his shortcomings as one of the 32 best Quarterbacks in the world (one would think since he has a starting job) he has a determination and motivation to get it done. Faults and deficiencies aside Jake believes he belongs and will bust his ass to do the right thing.

That quality is admirable and commendable.

Smiley-Clapping2.gif i like the perspective.

Agreed... A balanced perception. What we can only hope for others... lol

Is Quarterback Rating different from Passer Rating? Because in the thread, "A Different Way to Interpret QB Performance" (paraphrased), you said, (again paraphrased), "Quarterback rating is the most important stat there is by my standards". So which is it?

Well it's obviously whatever helps him bash Jake the most efficiently. ;)

This tells me that passer rating is the biggest BS stat in football. Every analyst on TV agrees with this statement as well.

You have polled every single one and know that they agree? ;)

IMO, it has it uses, but it certainly isn't definitive. No one in their right mind would say that Jake is a better QB than Roger Staubach.

I hope you're joking. Those quotes meant I was making fun of the guy that created the thread.

Passer rating is an important stat and very relevant, perhaps the best one to evaluate a quarterback during the regular season. Obviously wins, losses, 4th quarter comebacksare important as well. In the post season things like playoff records, championships, etc are the most important of all.

Those of you who don't like the stat because the ratings of guys like Aikman, and Unitas aren't great compared to modern day quarterbacks are missing the point. You can't compare quarterbacks from different eras because the rules have changed significantly to benefit receivers and ultimately quarterbacks. Passer rating stats are very relavent comparing quarterbacks of the same era since they played under the same circumstances and with the same rules. Back in Staubach's day defenders could mug receivers and bump them all the way down the field. Not today though.

The stat is very relavent to compare modern day quarterbacks and is relavent to compare quarterbacks from the 80s for example. Where it breaks down is comparing modern day quarterbacks to those in the 80s.

Stats are great if you know how to use them to compares apples to apples and not apples with oranges.

I hope you're joking. Those quotes meant I was making fun of the guy that created the thread.

Do you even know how passer rating is calculated? I know you're going to go to google now to find out but I'm 100% sure that at this very moment you don't.

Archived