• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera vs. Gettis

Proudiddy

So then you are arguing Gettis, today, is a better rec target than Smith, Olsen or LaFell? Which ones?

I am fine with Gettis taking Edwards spot on KOs and getting his WR roster spot that way. Giving him some of Murphy's rare work. Other than those situations.....he doesn't deserve much more

I've already stated what I'm arguing: that we don't know. You're the one making a positive assertion (That Gettis is at a certain talent level and would compete for a certain spot), all I'm arguing is that we don't know and we won't until he finally gets his shot.

What we do know is that Armanti Edwards has been the worst returner in the league for multiple seasons now, and has contributed almost nothing as a wide receiver. Yet he continues to get opportunities year after year over players who have shown they are more skilled then he is. So where I think you're failing is in the assumption that there must be some logical explanation for Gettis to not be playing, rather than it being simply another terrible decision.

I've already stated what I'm arguing: that we don't know. You're the one making a positive assertion (That Gettis is at a certain talent level and would compete for a certain spot), all I'm arguing is that we don't know and we won't until he finally gets his shot.

What we do know is that Armanti Edwards has been the worst returner in the league for multiple seasons now, and has contributed almost nothing as a wide receiver. Yet he continues to get opportunities year after year over players who have shown they are more skilled then he is. So where I think you're failing is in the assumption that there must be some logical explanation for Gettis to not be playing, rather than it being simply another terrible decision.

Well, using your Gettis logic we don't know what Armanti can do as a WR either. He has made plays the very very very select times given a chance this year.

So you are saying it is a reasonable possibility our 6th round WR with only 2010 under his belt.....could be better than Smith or LaFell if put on the field Sunday? I would say that is a slim possibility if applying reason

Well, using your Gettis logic we don't know what Armanti can do as a WR either. He has made plays the very very very select times given a chance this year.

Yes we do, he gets plenty of play time. He just can't get open. Since Denver (17 snaps) he has been seeing the field quite a bit on offense.

So you are saying it is a reasonable possibility our 6th round WR with only 2010 under his belt.....could be better than Smith or LaFell if put on the field Sunday? I would say that is a slim possibility if applying reason

Will he immediately walk onto the field better than LaFell? Likely not. But he will never be better than LaFell if he never plays. But why does he need to be better than LaFell on Sunday? Thomas Davis didn't step onto the field immediately as his old self, either. But he was given a chance, given playing time, and over time he worked his way back to form.

Where would Thomas Davis be if he was never given that chance? On the bench, next to Gettis.

Gettis is arguably the best athlete on the team. Why not give him an opportunity to put up or shut up? If Gettis says he's ready to play, then he really should be given a legitimate shot to play.

It's not like Lafell or Murphy are tearing it up right now. And I'm a huge fan of Lafell.

On another note, I'd like to see a lot more opportunities for Barnidge too.

Takes Jeremy Bridges two weeks to get in "FOOTBALL" shape...yet Gettis has been practicing for the entire season just about, but isn't in football shape.

Yeah that makes sense.

because Bridges is a 30 year old, 10 year vet.no way should a former track running 25 year old, WR that has been in the league for 3 years be in football shape. and if he stays on the bench he will not be in football shape.

Yes we do, he gets plenty of play time. He just can't get open. Since Denver (17 snaps) he has been seeing the field quite a bit on offense.

Will he immediately walk onto the field better than LaFell? Likely not. But he will never be better than LaFell if he never plays. But why does he need to be better than LaFell on Sunday? Thomas Davis didn't step onto the field immediately as his old self, either. But he was given a chance, given playing time, and over time he worked his way back to form.

Where would Thomas Davis be if he was never given that chance? On the bench, next to Gettis.

To put Gettis on the field it means you take someone off.

So you want Gettis to take the guy who leads Carolina in plays of 20+ yards (14 of them) so Gettis can get in shape to be better than him by maybe the last game of the season?

I can get if you want him to take Murphy's limited snaps bc they essentially do the same thing. But no reason for him to take LaFell's reps at this point

Gettis is arguably the best athlete on the team. Why not give him an opportunity to put up or shut up? If Gettis says he's ready to play, then he really should be given a legitimate shot to play.

It's not like Lafell or Murphy are tearing it up right now. And I'm a huge fan of Lafell.

On another note, I'd like to see a lot more opportunities for Barnidge too.

Being fast vertically doesn't put you suddenly in the "best athlete on the team" talks. As a rookie he did 1 thing better than LaFell and that was the deep vertical routes bc of speed. LaFell had him pretty much across the board on everything else.

If Gettis was arguably the best athlete on the team.....he wouldn't of been a 6th rounder. NFL guys would have seen that. They saw a guy with track speed and a lot to work on.

To put Gettis on the field it means you take someone off.

So you want Gettis to take the guy who leads Carolina in plays of 20+ yards (14 of them) so Gettis can get in shape to be better than him by maybe the last game of the season?

I can get if you want him to take Murphy's limited snaps bc they essentially do the same thing. But no reason for him to take LaFell's reps at this point

Agreed Lafell is above average and Gettis should probably split snaps with Murphy initially. But give him a chance to make plays before you determine that he can't. He made plenty as a rookie with a horrible QB situation. He would make plays with Cam.

Being fast vertically doesn't put you suddenly in the "best athlete on the team" talks. As a rookie he did 1 thing better than LaFell and that was the deep vertical routes bc of speed. LaFell had him pretty much across the board on everything else.

If Gettis was arguably the best athlete on the team.....he wouldn't of been a 6th rounder. NFL guys would have seen that. They saw a guy with track speed and a lot to work on.

Gettis is one of the best athletes on the team because of his speed, agility, size and vertical (jumping). And he looked like a pretty good route runner to me as a rookie. Lafell is really good in my opinion. Better than he's given credit.

Gettis slipped in the draft because RG3 was hurt during his last season at Baylor. If he was there with RG3 and Kendal Wright, I'll go out on a limb and say he would have been at least a 3rd rounder. His numbers were comparable to Wright's in 2009.

Well, Steve Smith often comments on the process for him to get in game shape when interviewed before a season.

More to it then running in a straight line untouched and walking into the endzone

Smitty is talking about being in game shape for a full season as he plays every down

For Gettis I'm saying he should at least just be out there running 2-5 go routes per game and we throw it once or twice when he does

You don't need conditioning for that, and if he wasn't healthy enough to do that yet, he would have been IR'd again

Archived