• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

beason and harris on DEF scheme

scpanther22

i agree with this.

it's just a difference between being passive and aggressive. with passive everything is geared around just containing the threat and trgo came up with all kinds of ways to plug holes that would inevitably pop up. he tried to plan for every possible hole which led to things getting pretty complicated.

with meeks aggressive defense everything is going to be geared towards attacking the ball and who has it or is supposed to get it. the way it sounds it is going to rely on people using their instincts rather than a complicated playbook. it won't be man to man but there are going to be elements of it (there has to be for the cover 2/3 to be effective). other than sanders, meeks, and mathis, i don't know that he had all that an aggressive and hard hitting team to work with. here he has a lot of fast moving, hard hitting players so the results should be better.

I agree with you.

The caveat with aggressive defenses is that they sometimes give up big plays but make some big plays as well. As for me I would rather be aggressive and take my chances rather than die by degrees as the opponent marches down the field over and over.

I think we may start slow this year but build as we go. Hopefully we peak like Indy did in 2006 at playoff time. Our ball control offense should help the defense stay off the field all day. That should help keep them fresh and fast.

Chicago and what I think our scheme will be based on what we saw in indy will be a lot of base cover formations but using that to move and alter into different formations based on what the offense shows.

When we get the formations on the field there's nothing shown that will actually happen once the snap goes. It's a bit more complicated and requires a lot of high energy, but it can be very effective.

for a long time, our fanbase has been desiring a mean, nasty, attitudinal defense... the meeks philosophy seems to be much better suited for such a reputation.

Yeah because the colts defense has always known for being "nasty" right? LOL! Get a clue and stop living in this dream world you live in. Too many people are in complete denial. John Fox runs this defense. Not Ron Meeks! John Fox doesnt know the meaning of the word agressive.

Chicago and what I think our scheme will be based on what we saw in indy will be a lot of base cover formations but using that to move and alter into different formations based on what the offense shows.

When we get the formations on the field there's nothing shown that will actually happen once the snap goes. It's a bit more complicated and requires a lot of high energy, but it can be very effective.

i think you're right. they are going to have to do that. you expect to see much man to man or will it be mixed man on one side, zone on the other?

Yeah because the colts defense has always known for being "nasty" right? LOL! Get a clue and stop living in this dream world you live in. Too many people are in complete denial. John Fox runs this defense. Not Ron Meeks! John Fox doesnt know the meaning of the word agressive.

Get a clue yourself and move along to a Giants message board....maybe your ramblings will be appreciated there.

The Colts D wasn't nasty, a nasty D collects penalties. The Colts D was definitely a turnover producing group and I think Chris Gamble is a better starting CB than Kelvin Hayden. With a far superior LB corps we should do even better than the Colts and Meeks D's of the past.

The Colts D wasn't nasty, a nasty D collects penalties. The Colts D was definitely a turnover producing group and I think Chris Gamble is a better starting CB than Kelvin Hayden. With a far superior LB corps we should do even better than the Colts and Meeks D's of the past.
good point and i agree. i' think they were aggressive without being nasty but it seems that he is pushing for more of that mean streak. i wonder if he didn't do that in indy because of dungy being such a nice guy.

one thing i am going to be keeping a close eye on and ear out for is the return of the black glove. that boxing glove that the players used to award to the player that had the nastiest and biggest hit that week. they stopped doing it about 5-6 weeks into the season because of what it was possibly portraying and the image it might be sending to goodell.

good point and i agree. i' think they were aggressive without being nasty but it seems that he is pushing for more of that mean streak. i wonder if he didn't do that in indy because of dungy being such a nice guy.

one thing i am going to be keeping a close eye on and ear out for is the return of the black glove. that boxing glove that the players used to award to the player that had the nastiest and biggest hit that week. they stopped doing it about 5-6 weeks into the season because of what it was possibly portraying and the image it might be sending to goodell.

Yea you would not want Goodell to know that our Football players were trying to hit someone. That would just be crazy.

Yea you would not want Goodell to know that our Football players were trying to hit someone. That would just be crazy.
i do think that there is a correlation between the ceasing of the black glove award and the defenses performance.

i think you're right. they are going to have to do that. you expect to see much man to man or will it be mixed man on one side, zone on the other?

I think we'll see a lot of zone initially but I don't think that will be a bad thing. I think depending on the offensive scheme we see and the QB and what the offense gives us will alter what we do dramatically.

Meeks was a very adjustment orientated coordinator in Indy time and again the colts D would be getting smashed, he'd adjust and they'd stem the flow. It wasn't always 100% successful, but at least he wouldn't allow a team to run or pass all day in certain situations like we saw with Trgovac.

I think it'll depend largely on Marshall's development and the development of the younger guys we have. With their backgrounds I do forsee some more zone, but also a lot more aggression from the front 7.

Hidden

LMAO! You guys are living in a dream world. The defense is going to be completely the same as it was before. There will be no difference between the scheme that Trgo ran from the one Meeks runs. Sure they may "tweak" a few things but as someone already pointed out John Fox is the man running the defense not meeks. The coordinators are nothing more than just puppets!

I love your sarcasm man! lmao

;)

I think we'll see a lot of zone initially but I don't think that will be a bad thing. I think depending on the offensive scheme we see and the QB and what the offense gives us will alter what we do dramatically.

Meeks was a very adjustment orientated coordinator in Indy time and again the colts D would be getting smashed, he'd adjust and they'd stem the flow. It wasn't always 100% successful, but at least he wouldn't allow a team to run or pass all day in certain situations like we saw with Trgovac.

I think it'll depend largely on Marshall's development and the development of the younger guys we have. With their backgrounds I do forsee some more zone, but also a lot more aggression from the front 7.

adjustments are something i am really hoping to see a lot more of and not just at half time when our D has allowed some certain WR well over 100 yards and a couple TDs. i want to see them happen quickly and let the players have more control over what they are doing. our defense came in and did the same thing the 2nd half that it did the first half quite often while opposing offenses came out with adjustments made and burned us bad. that should never happen. they started with a plan and stuck with it to the bloody end. i don't see meeks as someone who is going to allow that to happen.

LMAO! You guys are living in a dream world. The defense is going to be completely the same as it was before. There will be no difference between the scheme that Trgo ran from the one Meeks runs. Sure they may "tweak" a few things but as someone already pointed out John Fox is the man running the defense not meeks. The coordinators are nothing more than just puppets!

You post just to get a rise out of people... I, for one, finally get it.

Archived