• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

beason and harris on DEF scheme

scpanther22

Thought this was a pretty interesting quote from Beason and Harris on the defense

were duly diligent in studying the new scheme implemented by defensive coordinator Ron Meeks, but found that knowing their tasks and terminology was different than putting it into practice.

"We can go into meetings and do all the chalk talk we want," Beason said. "But being out here (on the field) is the only way you're going to get better."

Even if it was a little like starting from scratch.

"I kind of feel like a rookie all over again," Beason said. "But obviously the pressure isn't there, so the transition's going to be easy. The terminology is different, but it's all the same stuff; cover-three is cover-three everywhere.

Added Harris: "This is kind of (similar) to the scheme we ran in Chicago when I was there, so I don't have that big of a learning curve."

so what kind of scheme did they run in chicago..then..

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-1/masons-minutes-school-begins-with-harris-beason-back-on-field/0e52f3a3-9cfe-4eaa-a1d6-adcb51917853

more stuff in the OTA thread

Thought this was a pretty interesting quote from Beason and Harris on the defense

so what kind of scheme did they run in chicago..then..

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-1/masons-minutes-school-begins-with-harris-beason-back-on-field/0e52f3a3-9cfe-4eaa-a1d6-adcb51917853

more stuff in the OTA thread

Who cares, Fox not only controls the defense AND offense of the Panthers.. He controls the Chicago playbooks as well. It's all the same, we will end up 6-10.....

I just hope that, given the similarities to Chicago's defense, Harris gets back to forcing fumbles like he was in 2007.

I think much of his dropoff in production can be attributed to playing with a rookie safety and with little pressure from the front four.

Meeks is known for playing to his players strengths. I hope our secondary improves the to point Meeks can just tell Harris to knock the hell out of whomever has the ball.

:)

Truth is every team for the most part plays zone pass defense most of the time. Whether it is cover 1, cover 2, cover 3, cover 8 or whatever isn't the issue. It is how you execute the scheme and whether you are an aggressive defense or more passive that makes the difference.

Trgo's defense was a bend don't break give up everything underneath type of defense. Meeks seems to be more of a high energy go the ball type of defense. That is very similar to Chicago.

I for one like the aggressive high energy defense best. It may not be my favorite which is the Jim Johnson blitzing attack, but hopefully it is better than the passive predictable defense of Trgo's.

LMAO! You guys are living in a dream world. The defense is going to be completely the same as it was before. There will be no difference between the scheme that Trgo ran from the one Meeks runs. Sure they may "tweak" a few things but as someone already pointed out John Fox is the man running the defense not meeks. The coordinators are nothing more than just puppets!

cover 8

So...rush three, have eight not really knowing what they are doing except prevent the ball from getting into an opposing set of hands?

For some reason, I can only compare this to sychronized swimming performed by retarded midgets. It's effective for what it's trying to do, but damn it looks dumb.

Nice quote, by the way, sc.

So...rush three, have eight not really knowing what they are doing except prevent the ball from getting into an opposing set of hands?

For some reason, I can only compare this to sychronized swimming performed by retarded midgets. It's effective for what it's trying to do, but damn it looks dumb.

Nice quote, by the way, sc.

Didnt the Patriots run a cover 9 before???

Truth is every team for the most part plays zone pass defense most of the time. Whether it is cover 1, cover 2, cover 3, cover 8 or whatever isn't the issue. It is how you execute the scheme and whether you are an aggressive defense or more passive that makes the difference.

Trgo's defense was a bend don't break give up everything underneath type of defense. Meeks seems to be more of a high energy go the ball type of defense. That is very similar to Chicago.

I for one like the aggressive high energy defense best. It may not be my favorite which is the Jim Johnson blitzing attack, but hopefully it is better than the passive predictable defense of Trgo's.

i agree with this.

it's just a difference between being passive and aggressive. with passive everything is geared around just containing the threat and trgo came up with all kinds of ways to plug holes that would inevitably pop up. he tried to plan for every possible hole which led to things getting pretty complicated.

with meeks aggressive defense everything is going to be geared towards attacking the ball and who has it or is supposed to get it. the way it sounds it is going to rely on people using their instincts rather than a complicated playbook. it won't be man to man but there are going to be elements of it (there has to be for the cover 2/3 to be effective). other than sanders, meeks, and mathis, i don't know that he had all that an aggressive and hard hitting team to work with. here he has a lot of fast moving, hard hitting players so the results should be better.

LMAO! You guys are living in a dream world. The defense is going to be completely the same as it was before. There will be no difference between the scheme that Trgo ran from the one Meeks runs. Sure they may "tweak" a few things but as someone already pointed out John Fox is the man running the defense not meeks. The coordinators are nothing more than just puppets!

ohhhhh ok it all makes sense now! like i used to think that you were kind of an idiot, but now that i understand the intracacies of football i'll be sure and send you an apology card and a case of wine, just PM me the address. i can't understand your plethora of neg rep at all... :confused:

i agree with this.

it's just a difference between being passive and aggressive. with passive everything is geared around just containing the threat and trgo came up with all kinds of ways to plug holes that would inevitably pop up. he tried to plan for every possible hole which led to things getting pretty complicated.

with meeks aggressive defense everything is going to be geared towards attacking the ball and who has it or is supposed to get it. the way it sounds it is going to rely on people using their instincts rather than a complicated playbook. it won't be man to man but there are going to be elements of it (there has to be for the cover 2/3 to be effective). other than sanders, meeks, and mathis, i don't know that he had all that an aggressive and hard hitting team to work with. here he has a lot of fast moving, hard hitting players so the results should be better.

for a long time, our fanbase has been desiring a mean, nasty, attitudinal defense... the meeks philosophy seems to be much better suited for such a reputation.

i agree with this.

Teams that attack the ball that come to mind are Tampa bay,Chicago, and Philly. I love that style of play.

Archived