• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

walter's game recap

JawnyBlaze

http://www.walterfoo...m/nflreview.php

The officials seemed content to take this game into their own hands. The Broncos were up 7-3 and received a punt. Trindon Holliday, who scored on a kickoff return the previous week, took the punt back 76 yards to put Denver up two scores. What the refs missed was an obvious block in the back and Holliday dropping the ball prior to crossing the goal line. The first non-call is understandable - it happens - but the second is inexcusable. Every score is reviewed, so it just blows my mind how they were able to miss something so blatant.

Now, could Peyton Manning just have scored on an ensuing drive without the help of Holliday? Absolutely - he was on fire the entire afternoon - but the fact that something so shady went down makes me believe that Carolina never had a chance anyway.

Why was this so important? Well, even though the final score was 36-14, it was the difference in the game. With a double-digit lead, the Broncos were able to tee off on Cam Newton. They pressured him relentlessly, recording seven sacks - a ridiculous number considering Elvis Dumervil's shoulder injury (he left in the second quarter). Denver even stripped Newton once - a recurring problem this year - and intercepted him twice. One of the picks, which was returned for a touchdown, was an extremely dumb throw. Newton was under heavy pressure and forced a pass to prevent a sack. It was taken back 40 yards by Tony Carter.

Newton went 21-of-36 for 241 yards, two touchdowns (one in garbage time) and the aforementioned two picks. What's puzzling is that he had just four scrambles for seven rushing yards. Newton needs to stop trying to become a passing quarterback. His best trait is running the ball. If he doesn't take advantage of that, he's only making things easier for the opposition.

I appreciate his comments, all except the bolded one. He got one thing wrong, that it was 7-3 when that PR TD happened, but his point is more or less valid. We probably would have lost the game anyway, though. I doubt going down 14-7 off that PR TD is what made Chud go full retard mode on the playcalling, but you never know.

I appreciate his comments, all except the bolded one. He got one thing wrong, that it was 7-3 when that PR TD happened, but his point is more or less valid. We probably would have lost the game anyway, though. I doubt going down 14-7 off that PR TD is what made Chud go full retard mode on the playcalling, but you never know.

Talking head alert!

If this Walter had actually watch the game he would have seen that Denver constantly left a linbacker on the los spying on Newton to effectivly take away the running threat. By why let facts get in the way of your argument...

Walt brings up a good point, the game was "off" from the start. Within the first couple of snaps the Panthers were almost screwed out of a few yards with a spot, and still didn't get the full amount. Then there was a massive hold against Charles Johnson (RT had him hooked around his neck with his arm) right in front of the umpire. The punt return TD replay where they HAVE to look at the player entering the end-zone, not just where the stepped out. The offensive PI call against Lafell where the defender has his arms extended into him as well. So on and so forth. Hell on Reddit the Broncos fans were even questioning the legitimacy of a lot of calls that were going Denver's way, a recurring theme throughout the year sadly. While refs may not be the sole determinant of the outcome in a game, it's much harder to play 100% when you're worried about what the refs might do to you next. All of this was still going on when it was a close game.

Walt brings up a good point, the game was "off" from the start. Within the first couple of snaps the Panthers were almost screwed out of a few yards with a spot, and still didn't get the full amount. Then there was a massive hold against Charles Johnson (RT had him hooked around his neck with his arm) right in front of the umpire. The punt return TD replay where they HAVE to look at the player entering the end-zone, not just where the stepped out. The offensive PI call against Lafell where the defender has his arms extended into him as well. So on and so forth. Hell on Reddit the Broncos fans were even questioning the legitimacy of a lot of calls that were going Denver's way, a recurring theme throughout the year sadly. While refs may not be the sole determinant of the outcome in a game, it's much harder to play 100% when you're worried about what the refs might do to you next. All of this was still going on when it was a close game.

Lafell was an obvious PI call. Had serperation been the normal case, he might have get away with it. However, if you never manage to create more than 2 feet seperation from you defender and than boom you have a like 10 yards to him you will get that call against you every time.

Aside from the return call the rest is just football.

And considering that every player in the game consider every call or non-call not in there favor as an incorrect call, judging by thier reactions. I say they are used to playing "worried about what the refs might do".

Lafell was an obvious PI call. Had serperation been the normal case, he might have get away with it. However, if you never manage to create more than 2 feet seperation from you defender and than boom you have a like 10 yards to him you will get that call against you every time.

Aside from the return call the rest is just football.

And considering that every player in the game consider every call or non-call not in there favor as an incorrect call, judging by thier reactions. I say they are used to playing "worried about what the refs might do".

First off if you look at the replay, that call against Lefell could have and most likely should have been off setting calls since the DB had severe contact past the 5 yards. which appears why Lefell pushed off so much. Most players do feel calls go against them when they feel there was nothing they did wrong. That typical to any person playing a game.

Let’s not down grade this at all. Yes it’s the teams job to make plays and win games, but there has been an ongoing theme this season for the Panthers with 3-4 blatantly bad calls that changes the game ageist them.

Dallas Game had more than one bad call against our Offense and defense. There was a PI call that never happened that gave the Cowboys a first down and moved them into FG range. That just one in that game. I could go on and on but there’s no really no point until the NFL makes some changes with the way the officials and have some stiff punishments for bad calls that lose games.

them.

Starting to wonder if the whole "no offseason thing" affected defenses more than offenses....considering how much better defenses are this year

meh..

14 QBs are on pace to throw for 4,000 yards....which is 4 more 4k + passers than last year. Noodle arm Matt Ryan might be a 5k passer this year.

We aren't running the same offense this year.....that is what has imploded us. Not defenses figuring out what we did last year

They both broke the single season passing yardage record...

Drew's production wasn't better in any way due to the supposed struggle of defenses early on:

First half of season:

242/343 2746yds 70.6% 19td 10int 100.6qbr

Second half of season:

226/314 2730yds 73.1% 27td 4int 120.6qbr

Now let's look at Brady who plays outdoors in the later months just to keep things in perspective:

First half of season:

212/321 2703yds 66.3% 20td 10int 100.0qbr

Second half of season:

189/290 2532yds 65.2% 19td 2int 111.7qbr

The "defenses were hit harder by the lockout" argument holds no water as to why they broke the record. In fact as you'll see both quarterbacks threw significantly more interceptions at the start of the year than they did in the second half.

If Newton can't become a passing quarterback, then we should start looking for his replacement. I do think he can become a passing qb though.

Archived