• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Williams defends Jake

dpanthersman

How is it cherry picking? Muhammad played just as great as Smitty usually does in 2004 did he not? When Jake is playing without an All-Pro receiver, he's the poster child for mediocrity.

So your arguement is basically this....Jake is a mediocre QB when he has no decent receivers. Thanks for sharing that great nugget of wisdom....you fail.

You know Fireball, you're right. Moose did have his best season with Jake FIVE YEARS AGO.

I actually supported Jake Delhomme five years ago. But five years is a long time. Jake was a guy in his 20s back then. He has clearly degraded since then. Daunte Culpepper and Michael Vick balled all over the league back in 2004, how is that relevant to how good they are today?

So your arguement is basically this....Jake is a mediocre QB when he has no decent receivers. Thanks for sharing that great nugget of wisdom....you fail.

Good quarterbacks make the people around them look better. Can you say that about Jake?

Besides, plenty of great quarterbacks have done just fine without elite receivers. Check out Tom Brady for most of his career. McNabb. Phillip Rivers. Drew Brees. Matt Hasselbeck. Matt Ryan last year.

You really think he MADE those too the players they are or he can make anyone better? if it's any QB that's masked by a great wideout & running game it's Jake.

So typical of you SMF, you can use Moose and Beurlein but when I point out that Moose had his best year with Jake, you say pfft, that was in 2004. Moose was brought to Chi to be their #1. He put up #2 WR #s. When receivers have their best years with Jake, it has nothing to do with the connection between THEM specifically it is the WR making him look good. But when it's any other QB it's OH ALL OF THEM MAKE THEIR WRS LOOK BETTER. Total silliness. I assume Colbert's failure to be anything other than what he was his rookie year with Jake means that Jake failed Colbert all the rest of THOSE years and in 2004, Colbert made him look good. Oh, and all of Colbert's QBs since Jake were crappy including the much beloved on the Huddle Jay Cutler.

Jake has had two years with a good to great run game.

Jake has never even had a defense ranked #1 in the NFL in points allowed let alone squandered it in the playoffs like Manning did.

Those are facts.

Doesn't matter. They're not supposed to say things like that publicly. If Katie Couric had blasted Sarah Palin or Obama in her blog as lunatics, she would have gotten blasted for it as proof that she wasn't objective.

Local Professional Sports Team <<< Potential Leaders Of The Free World

Good quarterbacks make the people around them look better. Can you say that about Jake?

Besides, plenty of great quarterbacks have done just fine without elite receivers. Check out Tom Brady for most of his career. McNabb. Phillip Rivers. Drew Brees. Matt Hasselbeck. Matt Ryan last year.

It's all relative. The same can be said reversed. Good [insert ANY position here] make the people around them look better. Chad 8-5 and TJ Houshamouzilla make Palmer look a lot better. Plax made Eli look better. Jerry Rice made Steve Young look better. A-1 makes steak taste better, even if the steak alone is mediocre.

Even Beason himself said when talking about Peppers how much he helps him be a better player, because the offense focuses in on Pep, giving Beason much more freedom.

Smitty was great last year especially considering he only played 14 games. The reason was Jake. Look at the numbers he had in 2007 with Jake for 3 games and then without him for 13 and you understand that they have a feeel and knack for each other that no other quarterback can match.

Moose had his best year ever in 2004 with Jake. Since then he declined while in Chicago. Then suddenly he had a surge again in 2008 with Jake. I guess that was totally coincidental.

Jake is not great but he is good for our team and the system we play. His gunslinger attitude is what Smitty needs. Most of the time you have to throw the rock to Smitty when he is covered since people always double him. Most times Smitty still catches the ball but other quarterbacks would be afraid to fit it in there, but not Jake. Jake knows what Smitty can do and Smith makes sure if it thrown his way he rewards the quarterback with a catch. It is a great relationship that may not work in other systems with other quarterbacks.

So typical of you SMF, you can use Moose and Beurlein but when I point out that Moose had his best year with Jake, you say pfft, that was in 2004. Moose was brought to Chi to be their #1. He put up #2 WR #s. When receivers have their best years with Jake, it has nothing to do with the connection between THEM specifically it is the WR making him look good. But when it's any other QB it's OH ALL OF THEM MAKE THEIR WRS LOOK BETTER. Total silliness. I assume Colbert's failure to be anything other than what he was his rookie year with Jake means that Jake failed Colbert all the rest of THOSE years and in 2004, Colbert made him look good. Oh, and all of Colbert's QBs since Jake were crappy including the much beloved on the Huddle Jay Cutler.

Jake has had two years with a good to great run game.

Jake has never even had a defense ranked #1 in the NFL in points allowed let alone squandered it in the playoffs like Manning did.

Those are facts.

SMF's opinions rolled up nice and tight...

A starting running back in the NFL says something nice about his starting QB for the media. Shocked. Really, I'm shocked.

He is supposed to say that. He also means it sincerely. Teammates do not very often throw other teammates under the bus. It just does not happen.

That is the job of the fans if the fans so choose.

Any Jake fans who look at DeWill's quote as proof of how good of a QB Jake is for our system looks a bit desperate though. After all not only are the guys teammates and the QB just got a long extension, but Deangelo has one of the best attitudes in the NFL and could probably find something nice to say about Bin Ladin if a camera was in his face.

I heart Deangelo Williams.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone was saying "DWill's words mean Jake is a great QB".. I believe the haters started in on "DWill has to say that, Jake sucks", and then others jumped in to call bullshit...

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone was saying "DWill's words mean Jake is a great QB".. I believe the haters started in on "DWill has to say that, Jake sucks", and then others jumped in to call bullshit...

maybe not but it sure sounds like a few snugglers were hugging up tight to deWills comments as if they represent some justification. It's completely ridiculous to think Deangelo would say anything negative about anyone, especially a recently extended veteran QB starter on his own team.

Is he supposed to show support? Yes. Is he required to go above and beyond and defend? No. But I would expect nothing less. The guy is pure class IMO.

maybe not but it sure sounds like a few snugglers were hugging up tight to deWills comments as if they represent some justification. It's completely ridiculous to think Deangelo would say anything negative about anyone, especially a recently extended veteran QB starter on his own team.

Is he supposed to show support? Yes. Is he required to go above and beyond and defend? No. But I would expect nothing less. The guy is pure class IMO.

I can agree with your later statements for sure.. No, he doesn't have to.. I think the fact that he kind of ribbed fans shows it was more than just "what he has to say"... but I'm not implying anything other than that..

I guess when Rucker, while no longer a Panther, went above and beyond to talk about how important Jake was to the team after the 2007 season he was just being class too?

Point being that his teammates are smart enough not to judge him mostly on one craptacular game and want him out. They look at the whole package. As it should be.

Archived