• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Notes from OTAs

scpanther22

yea...i sortof do but if that happens connor will be carrer backup..at least here he will.

There may be a reason he dropped to the 3rd after all, but I think he belongs in the middle and may take time to get to know the weak side. Besides, we need a backup middle God forbid...

I don't mind that so much since on what three or four occasions last year we stuffed some run plays at the line, we can bash heads with the best of them.

That may be true, but I feel that physical/mental toughness comes from the head coach and starts now as far as OTA's and so forth and less than the scheme, when it comes down to goalline and manning up when the time comes. Usually strong running teams have the mindset to be physical up front, and hopefully this year we fit that bill.

from reed

Running back Jonathan Stewart continues to be held out of OTAs and with Tuesday being the final day it will mark the second straight year he has missed all of the summer school sessions. He's expected back for training camp. I'm hoping to talk with Stewart tomorrow to get an update.

Tight end Dante Rosario also remains out while recovering from back surgery.

Kicker John Kasay did not practice Monday.

http://carolinagrowl.com/SteveReed/archive/2009/06/15/otas-one-more-day-to-go.aspx

Fox 'anticipates' Peppers coming to camp in August

CHARLOTTE -- The next time the Carolina Panthers reconvene as a football team on Aug. 2 in Spartanburg, S.C., coach John Fox said he expects star defensive end Julius Peppers will be with them.

Fox reiterated Tuesday what he said earlier this off-season - that he "anticipates" Peppers will be show up at Wofford College for practices, but wouldn't say what he based that belief on.

http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/peppers-35057-fox-camp.html

last day of OTAs...

RB Jonathan Stewart talked for the first time this spring. He hasn't worked at all in minicamp or OTAs. He said he had a sore left Achilles tendon, a result of overcompensating for last year's toe surgery

Also of note among the linemen, rookie G Duke Robinson doesn't look nearly as sloppy as he did at the start of this camp.

http://www.heraldonline.com/665?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&insiteUserId=ded44479-eff0-4fb5-98bf-9edb9d130913&plckPostId=Blog%3aded44479-eff0-4fb5-98bf-9edb9d130913Post%3aeeb3e79f-8918-41be-92c6-f303bee7b3ed&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

I think the Back up Oline will be fine. It's the Backup Dline pass Brown and Johnson that I'm worried about. Those two Backup DT's, that's the part of the backup dline I'm worried about.

who did we lose on the D-line? why are you guys so worried??

we had Pep and Brayton playing DT last year.. i figure if we can get anythign outta our young guys it will just be bonus..

who did we lose on the D-line? why are you guys so worried??

we had Pep and Brayton playing DT last year.. i figure if we can get anythign outta our young guys it will just be bonus..

Our Dline faded in the second half of the season, (injuries, fatigue) we haven't really added anyone to Backup at the DT spot. It's extremely thin, skill wise.

I think the Back up Oline will be fine. It's the Backup Dline pass Brown and Johnson that I'm worried about. Those two Backup DT's, that's the part of the backup dline I'm worried about.

I agree that the backup OL will be fine, but I am also comfortable with our backup DL as long as we do not lose either of our starting DT's for an extended period.

I think Brown and Johnson/Brayton will be fine as backup DE's playing in a rotation, and none would be a huge liability as a starter should one of the starters go down (I'm projecting on Brown a bit, but it's an informed projection).

As for DT, I am on record as saying we needed an upgrade to Lewis, whom I feel is better suited to rotating with Kemo, but since that is not in the cards this year, I think we can manage with the players we have. Not counting any of the UDFA's, I think we could have a solid rotation with our current backups (solid, not dominant). Despite everyone seemingly only remembering his poor play against the Giants, Hayden actually played fairly decent after that, and should be solid against the run. Irvin, on the other hand, probably fits what I was wanting to bring in at DT, with the exception of his still being very raw. But I expect with his attitude and the work ethic he has shown, along with the flashes of dominant play, he should provide some much needed pass rush up the middle while giving Lewis more rest during games, which will hopefully keep him from wearing down as the season progresses like he did last season. On top of that, we still have Brayton and Johnson that can fill in if needed as both occasionally rotated in at DT last year and were not liabilities.

And for the record, I'm not as worried about last year’s collapse of the defense, and the DL in particular, since the primary reason for that was injuries to both of our starting DT's and our MLB.

i hold out hope that the defense will find "new" strength in Meeks running things for a chance.

Everyone spoke about "davidson" just being an extention of Fox, but look how much better he has done in a year with a starting offense.

(given we drafted A LOT of offense)

Archived