• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Notes from OTAs

scpanther22

. We all know that when Dan Morgan decided to test Eric Shelton, that was all she wrote for that young man.

:iagree:

It was also "all she wrote" when Dan Morgan decided to test Dan Morgan. :sad:

But really, you make a good point about the speed of our other receivers. I've been likening Goodson to Bush since we drafted him, and I hope he can really bring some speed to the passing game.

The return game is another area where Goodson could shine.

Day 8...the need for speed

http://www.heraldonline.com/665?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&insiteUserId=ded44479-eff0-4fb5-98bf-9edb9d130913&plckPostId=Blog%3aded44479-eff0-4fb5-98bf-9edb9d130913Post%3a76308cef-1bb2-4559-9282-bcbfe74d2ada&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

What you can tell, and it's as clear as something that's clear, is how fast this team has become.

When the skill players lined up for post-practice sprints, rookies Mike Goodson, Larry Beavers and Jason Chery were far ahead of the rest of them. You started to see a little more from some of the older guys (such as Steve Smith) because of the fast company they were keeping.

from reed

Running back Jamall Lee, the kid who was selected third overall in the 2009 CFL draft, continues to look very good -- and quick -- although he runs a little upright. That's not always a bad thing, just a style. I'm getting anxious to see what he can do in the preseason. Sure, he's a tremendous long shot as an undrafted rookie, but so were Fred Lane, Nick Goings and Brad Hoover -- and they all carried the ball for the Panthers.

http://carolinagrowl.com/SteveReed/archive/2009/06/08/monday-lb-davis-returns-to-work-as-panthers-begin-week.aspx

Day 9 from Gantt

LB Jon Beason said he was surprised to hear the news of friend Dan Morgan's retirement. He hasn't talked to his former teammate yet, but said it's sad because Morgan's actually been underappreciated, despite earning All-Pro honors earlier in his career.

-- RT Jeff Otah said he's been impressed by rookie DE Everette Brown, who he lines up across from often. Said Brown's first step is extremely quick, but also envisions him being a good player against the run.

Having those two across from each other is going to help both, and should provide some of the more interesting competition once they put on pads and go to camp.

http://www.heraldonline.com/665?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&insiteUserId=ded44479-eff0-4fb5-98bf-9edb9d130913&plckPostId=Blog%3aded44479-eff0-4fb5-98bf-9edb9d130913Post%3af77cfac8-764b-4dae-8cba-40d0b07509fc&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

I'm glad their reporting on Everette Brown, but what about Sherrod Martin and Corvey Irvin? I hope they're not ignoring those rookies because they're struggling. We really need those two to be contributors this year...especially Irvin.

I know it's hard to tell about a DT when they're not padded up and going full contact, but surely there must be some indication of how Irvin and Martin are progressing mentally, at least.

I'm glad their reporting on Everette Brown, but what about Sherrod Martin and Corvey Irvin? I hope they're not ignoring those rookies because they're struggling. We really need those two to be contributors this year...especially Irvin.

I know it's hard to tell about a DT when they're not padded up and going full contact, but surely there must be some indication of how Irvin and Martin are progressing mentally, at least.

Speed is sexier than strength when in shorts, so that's what the writers concentrate on. Once the pads come on, you'll hear more about them.

day 10 from gantt

Wrapped up a short week Wednesday. They'll go twice next week and then call it a summer, before training camp opens Aug. 2.

One of the things I'm gathering from watching these practices -- when all the new guys catch our eyes -- is that there are some veterans who have a chance to make some impact here, if they make the team.

WR Ryne Robinson's got a chance to become a player in this offense, if he gets on the field. The reality is that Muhsin Muhammad is nearer the end of his run than the middle, and Robinson's finally starting to look like the shifty route-runner he appeared to be becoming.

Also, LB Landon Johnson looked like a waste of time and money last season, but this defensive shift could bring out the best in him. He's more active and athletic than the guy in front of him (the underrated Na'il Diggs), and if there's an injury, Johnson might prove to be a good part to have on hand.

Day 11 from gantt

Players are hopping because there's only one more day of summer school. But they also got a kick out of the first big installation of goal-line plays on both sides of the ball.

This is going to be one of the biggest questions about Ron Meeks' new defense. When you're built around quickness and penetration and keeping things in front of you, it forces you to lean toward finesse rather than power.

How that manifests itself when the other team's trying to run it down your throat's going to be interesting.

http://www.heraldonline.com/665?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&insiteUserId=ded44479-eff0-4fb5-98bf-9edb9d130913&plckPostId=Blog%3aded44479-eff0-4fb5-98bf-9edb9d130913Post%3ab0b41446-97f0-4eda-ac73-a028da76dc73&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Archived