• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Notes from OTAs

scpanther22

I could be wrong, but any draft pick from a school whose class hasn't graduated yet (Unless they themselves have graduated) can only take part in the post draft mini camp, then nothing until their contract is signed/TC. So some guys could be missing for that reason.

I thought that was for Undergrads of schools running the quarter system(instead of semesters) like most of the schools on the west coast.

OTA Day 4

LB Thomas Davis was standing on the sidelines Monday morning, not practicing.

When coach John Fox was asked about his status, he said Davis was excused because he had "an appointment."

Asked if there was an injury that was bothering Davis, Fox replied: "That's what appointments are for."

RB Jonathan Stewart also ducked out early. He hasn't practiced yet at minicamp or thus far in OTAs, with what was described as an ankle issue.

No reason to panic over either yet, though they do have more depth at RB than LB. James Anderson was working with the first defense in Davis' spot.

-- WR Muhsin Muhammad was back after skipping last week with a planned family commitment. Also back on the practice field was WR Ryne Robinson, who worked during minicamp but took last week off as he works to regain strength in his knee.

-- After practice, WR Jason Carter was impressive, catching balls fired from the Jugs machine with one hand. He's either going to end up with a roster spot or a broken finger if he keeps it up.

-- We'll have more on this in tomorrow's Herald, but top pick Everette Brown's getting most of his early work on the left side of the defense, where he's going to have to become a better run defender against bigger tackles. They're hoping his quickness advantage over RTs will compensate for that, but he's going to have to work to make sure he doesn't get swallowed up.

http://www.heraldonline.com/665?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3aded44479-eff0-4fb5-98bf-9edb9d130913Post%3a46620b36-b3f3-46f8-8505-6c9799400159&sid=pluck.heraldonline.com

Funny dude.....he is.

I have to be honest in that I am a little worried about Brown and his ability to stop the run.

True, but he couldn't have landed on a better team that will help him improve his run defense. :D He'll get to practice against our OL and Double Trouble every day.

Funny dude.....he is.

I have to be honest in that I am a little worried about Brown and his ability to stop the run.

Yeah, but let it play out. After all, we didn't expect that Beason would be a dominant ILB...

I know I've already posted this, but I'm really looking forward to watching this kid play. It sounds like he can be sort of a Reggie Bush type of player, minus the huge contract. There is no doubt that this team can use some more speed and quickness in the passing game, especially on 3rd downs.

If Goodson is as good as advertised, he could add a whole new dimension to this offense and take a lot of the pressure of of Smitty.

Foxhole...swarming defense

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-1/foxhole-swarming-defense/12b50e8b-5f7a-41a2-a2f1-301eac1abb77

On the defense's style of play: I think we'll swarm to the ball. We're really stressing running to the ball, putting pressure on the ball - both in the passing game and in the run game as far as stripping the ball and those types of things. (Defensive coordinator) Ron Meeks has been a very accomplished coordinator in this league, a guy that's been in the league for close to 20 years. I like what he and the staff have done so far.

Man, how nice would it be to be in the top 5 in takeways again?

Archived