• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Notes from OTAs

scpanther22

CHARLOTTE – Defensive end Julius Peppers was a no-show as the Carolina Panthers kicked off their annual OTAs or “summer school” session on Wednesday, but the rest of the team’s defensive starters were back on the field.

“But it’s letting the players play and we have some great athletes on defense and some hard-nosed players and I think it’s going to let them do what they do and make plays on their own without out-tricking anybody. I know we have a lot to see from defense yet but I know the defensive guys are excited about (the new system).”

http://www.carolinagrowl.com/Read.aspx?Story=1089

ok i cut the article to fit updates...so new stuff on panthers.com

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-1/masons-minutes-school-begins-with-harris-beason-back-on-field/0e52f3a3-9cfe-4eaa-a1d6-adcb51917853

from gantt

First off, I like calling it summer school rather than OTAs. Not only does it not have the ridiculous, over-acronymed sound of something important, it reminds me of that great Mark Harmon movie where he lets his dog eat peanut butter off his spoon. Also, summer school at ASU was the best, as I once had a professor open a class by saying: "I want to be here even less than you do."

That said, Wednesday was an ease-into-it start. Everyone was there except for HIM (I'm considering giving Julius Peppers the Captain Chaos treatment until he shows up) and WR Muhsin Muhammad, who was excused for something. They're voluntary practices, so it's not like he meeds much of an excuse.

-- Most of the formerly injured were back to work including The Four Shoulders (they should start a doo-*** band): LBs Jon Beason and Na'il Diggs, DT Damione Lewis and SS Chris Harris.

RB DeAngelo Williams was back after skipping minicamp with a hamstring (more on that in tomorrow's Herald), but RB Jonathan Stewart, WR Ryne Robinson and TE Dante Rosario were on the sidelines. Nothing major in the lot, from the sounds of it.

-- They've added two more bodies to fill out the roster at 80 signed players. Along with yesterday's acquisition of CB ReggieSullivan, they've also signed former Syracuse S Paul Chiara. A converted RB/slot receiver for the Orangemen, he switched to defense last year.

-- Interesting note from LT Jordan Gross on OL depth (more on that in tomorrow's paper too). He said he's encouraged by the progress of second-year T Geoff Schwartz.

Last year's seventh-round pick spent the offseason lifting with C Ryan Kalil and Gross, and the elder statesman called him "probably the most improved player physically."

It doesn't take much to stand out in the backup line category here, but it would certainly help if he can play.

Also, I nearly didn't recognize Schwartz, since he got a haircut. He no longer looks like "The Dude," Jeffrey Lebowski.

As part of a weight-loss challenge with other members of the Panthers organization, Davidson dropped 71 pounds this off-season and looks to be in much better shape then when he arrived in Carolina. He’s since put on a few pounds, but overall looks like a new man.

So thats why Fox lost weight, looks like davidson is impacting on and off the field.

STILL LEARNING: Carolina’s defense is still in the infancy stages as far as learning new coordinator Ron Meeks’ system.

“Right now it’s making our lives easy (on offense) because they are running pretty simple stuff,” Gross said. “In the past our defense ran everything you could think of and that made it tough.

“But it’s letting the players play and we have some great athletes on defense and some hard-nosed players and I think it’s going to let them do what they do and make plays on their own without out-tricking anybody. I know we have a lot to see from defense yet but I know the defensive guys are excited about (the new system).”

i sure wish someone would tell these players that they aren't running a new system.

geeeeezzzz.

I'm encouraged about our depth after the Schwartz statement.

Don't be.

The NFL is ruled by the "if you can't say anything nice avoid the press" rule.

They would never tell what they REALLY thought, so you can never tell how true a statement is.

Love to see making practices easier for the offense. You know that's has to translate well to the field. Also nice to see that The Dude will probably make the roster. Sounds like a light uneventful practice where players barely sweated....Whats the temperature now in Spartansburg? Its probably warm enough there for me to start sweating just thinking about some good bbq.

Love to see making practices easier for the offense. You know that's has to translate well to the field. Also nice to see that The Dude will probably make the roster. Sounds like a light uneventful practice where players barely sweated....Whats the temperature now in Spartansburg? Its probably warm enough there for me to start sweating just thinking about some good bbq.

Pretty sure they're at the practice facility in Charlotte. They won't go to Spartanburg until the actual training camp starts in August...

How do you know he's not working equally as hard?

Yeah, I would be shocked if Peppers showed up out of shape. He never has before, so there is no reason to believe he will this year, especially if he's gonna use this season to audition for another team in 2010.

My only worry is that he doesn't sing his tender until half way through TC, and comes in way behind everybody else in learning this new defense. Once again though, he would be hurting his own chances of getting signed and paid by another team in the future.

Archived