• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

what to do with an old computer...advice please

Towelboy

http://www.epa.gov/waste/conserve/materials/ecycling/donate.htm

The EPA has some good links for getting rid of an old computer. A faster method would be through Goodwill as they will recycle anything they can't use.

As for getting things off of a computer without a hard drive, that would be akin to trying to read the mind of a tree after had been burned to ashes and scattered into the wind. If you leave the hard drive in, I can give you a few tips on how to make it more hacker proof, but the shear fact is that there is always SOMEONE out there who can find old info on a HDD.

what is the best way to dispose of an old computer?

can any information be extracted from the computer if i remove the hard drive?

what say ye huddlers?

If it doesn't grate on yer nerves...see if the local Catholic elementary school can use it. Their computer resources usually lag way behind what the public schools have. I had a couple old printers & a monitor or two that I gave to the school a couple blocks away from me. They were thrilled to have them.

You could ghost the hard drive to your new drive using Norton Ghost 12 or Paragon. You would also need 2 IDE (or Sata - depending on what type your hard drive is) Adapaters and power connectors.

Or you could remove the hard drive, get a IDE (or Sata) Adapter and connect it from your hard drive to the USB of your new pc and you could extract files from your old drive to your new drive that way.

You could save the memory or the whole thing for parts if they're compatible with your new one.

what is the best way to dispose of an old computer?

can any information be extracted from the computer if i remove the hard drive?

what say ye huddlers?

Taking the hard drive out should suffice plus you might need something off of it later.

All the permanent data should only be on the hard drives. If that is what you are asking.

Taking the hard drive out should suffice plus you might need something off of it later.

All the permanent data should only be on the hard drives. If that is what you are asking.

thanks dan. that's what i wanted to know.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Staples recycles old computers but you'd better call them first to be sure. Most counties have special recycling days where you can bring them hazardous materials, etc including computer parts.

Destroying or magnetizing your hard drive first is a must.

Archived