• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Vista Service Pack 2

TerriblePizza

According to Microsoft's site they will continue support for the XP family until 2014.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223

That' only for security.

While the company said that it will continue to provide free security fixes for XP until 2014, any future bugs found in the platform will not be fixed unless customers pay for additional support.

Once Windows XP moves out of the mainstream support phase (Which they did on April 14), customers will need an extended support contract with Microsoft or one of its channel partners to address any issues not related to security

Gartner analyst Michael Silver agreed, adding that he had not spoken to any companies planning to pay for extended support.

"The only thing extended support buys you is creation of new non-security fixes, at a hefty fee for each one. After all these years, most people figure that most of the functional bugs [in XP] are already worked out," he said.

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2240034/windows-xp-support-runs

Support for SP2 will end next year. That's where my confusion came from.

Been running Vista for over 2 years on a mid range HP PC. Stable and very good once the drivers were all out for it. A tad slow booting up if you have the sidebar and a bunch of other crap running, otherwise I don't see any issues there. The biggest issue for me was the UAC driving me nuts everytime I say, wanted to load a pic online using a web form, but I disabled that.

My online game has worked great the whole time...

• 1 year later...

Archived