• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kirwan Likes Jarrett in 09

CatfanMO

I was impressed with what I scene on several occasions. He came into the game ice cold from sitting on the bench and converted some important third downs. I sure hope Moose helps him work on his blocking some this year. He has good size he just needs to learn how to use it.

He has to develop some lower leg strength for that. Last year, at training camp, I noticed how slim his calves were compared to Moose and of course Steve Smith, who has calves as big as my thighs, incredible. He will become a better blocker, but he needs some weight room work on those lower legs...

He has to develop some lower leg strength for that. Last year, at training camp, I noticed how slim his calves were compared to Moose and of course Steve Smith, who has calves as big as my thighs, incredible. He will become a better blocker, but he needs some weight room work on those lower legs...

My view must have been blocked by Stewart's calves.

I don't think it will take 2 years for Jarrett to supplant Moose. His kind of skill will be to good to keep off the field and he doesn't fit the mold of a slot WR. I think Jarrett has a real shot at #2 near the end of next season. Im not knocking on Moose because I know he is vital to our run game but Jarrett is a red zone destroyer. I think Moose is the next Proehl for us except I think he will be in on run situations because he is very good at run blocking.

This is how I see it at the beginning of the season.

1. Smith

2. Moose

3. Jarrett

4. Robinson

5. Goodson/Carter

End of the season

1. Smith

2. Jarrett

3. Moose

4. Robinson

Then ideally over the course of a couple years. Moose will probably retire.

1. Smith

2. Jarrett

3. Robinson( Comes into his own as a WR)

4. Goodson

I just think if Jarrett's going to show he can play it will be this season. And if he can do anything like he did in college it shouldn't take long to be a #2.

He mentioned,

New look-offense? Since when?

Kirwin is suggesting we will run more 3 and 4 receiver sets given we have receivers who can deliver in the clutch. If you look at it Davidson has done alot with what he has to work with. He lost Jake in 2007, had only 2 decent receivers in 2008 so we ran alot. If he had the talent of a team like NE or NO on offense he would have a great offense. I expect we would pass more if we had 3 or 4 good receivers. You have to go back to 2003 to find 3 good receivers on our team at the same time with no injuries.

Kirwin is suggesting we will run more 3 and 4 receiver sets given we have receivers who can deliver in the clutch. If you look at it Davidson has done alot with what he has to work with. He lost Jake in 2007, had only 2 decent receivers in 2008 so we ran alot. If he had the talent of a team like NE or NO on offense he would have a great offense. I expect we would pass more if we had 3 or 4 good receivers. You have to go back to 2003 to find 3 good receivers on our team at the same time with no injuries.
how do you size up our receiving options?

If he had the talent of a team like NE or NO on offense he would have a great offense. I expect we would pass more if we had 3 or 4 good receivers. You have to go back to 2003 to find 3 good receivers on our team at the same time with no injuries.

With the obvious exception at the quarterback position, I say we have nearly as much talent on offense as New England and New Orleans.

We may not spread the ball around as much, but we do have two of the league's best running backs, both of whom are better than any back on either of the aforementioned team's rosters.

I just don't know that you can say we only had two good receivers last year. We've never had such a dominant ground game, and thus we've never had the luxury of primarily tossing the ball to two receivers. It remains to be seen, but I think Jarrett will be a "good" receiver: it's fortunate the Panthers haven't even needed to find out for themselves yet.

Hopefully he does what I expect him to do but I won't be disappointed if Jarrett doesn't really breakout unless he starts over Moose. Much to my dismay, we as a franchise have never had three receivers with 500 or more yards each in the Jake Delhomme era in a single season. Unless Jarrett is listed as the second receiver on the team, he probably won't have the numbers that people want him to have.

Archived