• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kirwan Likes Jarrett in 09

CatfanMO

This should really be Jarrett's last year if he doesn't produce. Smitty's not getting any younger, niether is Moose and we have who waiting to take over the reigns if Jarrett isn't able to get on course? Robinson, Moore, or some other undrafted FA?

While I want to see Jarrett develop into a more prominent role as much as anyone, it will be very hard for him to do so as long as Moose is playing at a high level. With almost 1,000 yards last season and as one of the best receivers in the league, Moose isn't going to be replaced by Jarrett any time soon.

That doesn't mean we don't need to develop Jarrett, it just means that we need to be a bit more realistic about the role a third receiver plays behind two very good receivers and two very good running backs. When Moose can't go, then we can call on Jarrett to play a larger part. Until then, let's be thankful we have what seems to be a very good option at a third receiver position that sees very little action anyway.

He isn't going out on a limb. Typically takes 3 years for receivers to come into their own in the NFL (cept the few exceptional ones).

I also agree that he's not going to see 60+ receptions in this offense. But I'd be happy with around 40, and many TD's seeing as he is a redzone threat.

We definitely have a lot of bodies, agreed, but we need someone to develop. By develop I mean under their own initiative and work ethics, not by the staff tabbing them the defacto #4 and #5 and hoping they pan out. It's not uncommon for us to carry 10-12 widouts to camp. I really want one of them to be a Wes Welker type guy. However, I can't remember us actually carring a undrafted FA wideout on the 45 man roster that wasn't mainly a ST guy.

Robinson is the one, almost moreso than Jarrett that I'm looking for to step up. He's the one that could be our slot guy if he pans out. Between the injuries and the average results as a returnman, he's got a lot to prove that he's the right one for the job.

So your thinking Goodson is switching positions totally? I've read he's going to be like a 'slash' player KR, RB and some WR. If he does make the switch to WR, then hopefully he'll develop into a solid slot guy. However, If he's used as a 'gimick' WR, I'm not sure that solves the problem.
i see him as somewhere between a kevin faulk and wes welker type. whether he makes the switch form RB to WR, i don't know. i do know that he was told that he would be used as a slot receiver when he was drafted and that many of the things that was talked about him had to do with his receiving ability and that would make a better 3rd down back than inside runner.

look at this from cbssports:

Scouting Report

GENERAL REPORT: GRADE: 5.26

Body Structure: Goodson has a trim, athletic upper body frame with lean muscle development. His lower body shows decent thickness in the thighs and calves. He has added more than 20 pounds of bulk to his frame the past year and evident by his 40-yard dash time, it did not affect his impressive quickness.

Athletic Ability: Goodson is an all-around athlete with a lean frame that appears he will be destined to be a better fit as a receiver at the next level. He has durability concerns and does let minor injuries linger. He is quick and explosive with his long speed, but has just marginal strength, making him a liability as an inside runner. He has good change of direction agility and shows very good quickness out of his stance, along with the sudden burst to elude defenders turning the corner. He is best working off tackle, as he lacks the wiggle and leg drive to take the ball inside. He has very good hands and receiving ability. There has been some thought to lining him up as a flanker rather than running back, as he lacks the size and ideal strength to absorb punishment running up the middle. GRADE: 6.8

Initial Quickness: Goodson has very good quickness coming out of his stance and can be sudden when he keeps his pads down. He becomes even quicker once he is on the move and shows very good suddenness in his plant and drive. He shies away from return duties, but with his burst and slight frame he could become a very effective receiver at the next level. GRADE: 7.5

Acceleration/Burst: Goodson has that sudden burst to escape the crowd and does a very good job of accelerating away from the second-level opponents, showing good balance when changing his angle. With his top-end speed, he can be flexed out as a receiver, where he seems more comfortable playing on the outside rather than doing the grunt work inside. GRADE: 7.3

Instincts/Balance: Goodson has good balance turning the corner. He has that second gear to eat up the cushion and get behind defenders on pass routes, making him a better fit on the flank than as a tailback. What makes some be concerned about him as a runner is the fact that he does not always see the initial running lane, but once he finds it he can recognize threats. But his instincts, especially when knowing when to use his pick-and-slide, is erratic. GRADE: 5.1

Inside Running: Goodson runs with good balance, but lacks the leg drive and upper body strength to push the pile. He will go down vs. initial contact and is prone to coughing up the ball when tackled hard. Because he does not always see the crease, using him as an inside runner could become a liability. GRADE: 4.5

Outside Running: This is where Goodson's speed needs to be better utilized. He shows the sudden burst and body control to turn the corner and does a nice job when having to change direction and angle. Once he reaches the corner, he is a threat to take the ball to the house. GRADE: 6.3

Elusiveness: Goodson is more of an explosive runner who uses his speed to separate rather than execute a bunch of moves. There is not much hip wiggle or shake to him, but he has that plant-and-drive skill to leave defenders behind. You can't really call him a water bug, but he has the quick change of direction agility to cut and elude in the open. GRADE: 6.3

Tackle-Breaking Strength: One look at his weight room figures tell the story why he should not be an inside runner. He will go down from arm tackles, but will show some flash and lower his pads downfield. GRADE: 4.6

Tendency to Fumble: If a defender hits him with force, Goodson will lose the ball. He tries to cover it up moving through tight areas, as he appears to have a firm grip and does not carry it loose. This leads one to believe that it is his lack of strength that will lead to fumbles and not poor ball security execution. GRADE: 5.0

Receiving Skills: Goodson has natural hands, great leaping ability and will not hesitate to compete for the ball at its high point. He is a quick, crisp route runner who shows the suddenness to separate after the catch. He brings more value to a team in the slot or lined wide rather than carrying the ball. GRADE: 6.7

Route Running: Goodson is used a lot on screens and flares, but he has the speed to get positive yardage after the catch. He shows ease of movement adjusting to the ball in flight and does not use his body as a crutch. He will do a consistent job of catching outside his framework and does a really nice job of turning and snatching off-target throws. GRADE: 6.3

this isn't too far off from other things that i have seen about him.

most of his receptions last year came on 1st and 2nd down but he had a good few on 3rd and 10+ and had an over 13ypc average. he was just as effective at receiving as he was at running the ball...in fact half of his success came from that. everything about him screams big play threat but nothing screams consistent performer if you are expecting an RB.

anyway...with fox being know for having players switch position on defense (look at martin, a safety being asked to play CB and godfrey, a CB asked to play safety) i wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him as a WR primarily but be the recipient of a few end arounds.

Don't see any receiver getting very many TDS nor do I see Jake throwing more than 20 this year. We throw in the redzone when we can't run the ball. If Williams and Stewart start off this year like they finished last year, they will combine for 30 or more TDs. If our receivers are scoring a lot of TDs we are scoring on intermediate to long passes or our run game is not doing well. I hope it is the former not the latter.

So if Jarrett gets 4 TDs, 40 catches and 480 yards, it will be a good season.

While I want to see Jarrett develop into a more prominent role as much as anyone, it will be very hard for him to do so as long as Moose is playing at a high level. With almost 1,000 yards last season and as one of the best receivers in the league, Moose isn't going to be replaced by Jarrett any time soon.

That doesn't mean we don't need to develop Jarrett, it just means that we need to be a bit more realistic about the role a third receiver plays behind two very good receivers and two very good running backs. When Moose can't go, then we can call on Jarrett to play a larger part. Until then, let's be thankful we have what seems to be a very good option at a third receiver position that sees very little action anyway.

I agree that he's not an ideal option as a #3. That is the reason I've been on this tangent about a slot guy. Tall, lumbering, possession guys are not what you want in the slot. I realize Smitty can move to the slot in 3 WR sets, but ideally when you have those sets you want a couple of speed guys and one possession guy versus 2 possesion guys and one speedster.

Jarrett is being billed as Moose's replacement, and I agree he's not going to surplant him in the next year or two barring injury. That's where the quandry comes in. If Jarrett isn't the best option as a #3 and the Moose isn't going anywhere for, let's say, a minimum of two years, then shouldn't that spot be utilized for something more than a placemarker for 2011?

That's my point on a true slot guy and the reason I'll be looking harder a Robinson than Jarrett.

Don't see any receiver getting very many TDS nor do I see Jake throwing more than 20 this year. We throw in the redzone when we can't run the ball.

Si if Jarrett gets 4 TDs, 40 catches and 480 yards, it will be a good season.

Redzone, what’s that? Is that what Williams was running through from sixty yards out all the time? The same area he was punching in all those one-yard touchdowns?

Did we pass at all in the redzone last year?

:D

I don't see any Panthers #3 WR getting 50 catches unless either Smitty or Moose gets injured and he has to move up, or the running game suddenly goes bad.

FWIW though, I thought Jarrett produced last season in the few opportunities that he had.

I was impressed after a lackadaisical first year. I loved him in college. Even though he didn't need to, he always tried to keep both feet in bounds when making a catch. Thought he was already preparing for the pros. Then he comes in all cocky and doesn't think he needs to study film/playbook. He got humbled though, came back and put in the effort and it showed...

In a 3 receiver set it would make sense to put Jarrett on one side and Moose on the other with Smith in the slot. If nothing else it forces the defense to adjust to Smith and gives us the advantage on the outside as help will rotate inside. Jarrett could play the slot as well as he is bigger than most safeties and still quicker than most linebackers.

Proehl was a very good third receiver but wasn't quick, strong, or very big. But he could find holes in the zone and had good hands. If Jarrett can do that as well he doesn't have to be faster than the defense just smarter.

Don't know if that is his strong suit though.

On second hand he might have to get faster.

I'm just hoping someone steps up to free Smitty or can make plays if he is blanketed. People blame Jake for forcing Smitty the ball, but honestly if no one is open and the ball has to be forced somewhere, I'd take my chances with 89 everytime.

We need to make teams honest by picking their poison with three legit wideouts. Right now defenses blanket Smitty and dare Jake to throw elsewhere. That HAS to change. Maybe it will. If so, we will have an offense hitting on all cylinders.

I'm just hoping someone steps up to free Smitty or can make plays if he is blanketed. People blame Jake for forcing Smitty the ball, but honestly if no one is open and the ball has to be forced somewhere, I'd take my chances with 89 everytime.

We need to make teams honest by picking their poison with three legit wideouts. Right now defenses blanket Smitty and dare Jake to throw elsewhere. That HAS to change. Maybe it will. If so, we will have an offense hitting on all cylinders.

I think Moose and even the running game freed Smith up tremendously last season. Like you said, Smith more often than not makes the catches that Jake "forces," and usually for tremendous gains.

I think there are several players that could step up as receivers if called upon, but with Smith and Moose having great years last season, that just wasn't a necessity.

I don't see any Panthers #3 WR getting 50 catches unless either Smitty or Moose gets injured and he has to move up, or the running game suddenly goes bad.

FWIW though, I thought Jarrett produced last season in the few opportunities that he had.

I was impressed with what I scene on several occasions. He came into the game ice cold from sitting on the bench and converted some important third downs. I sure hope Moose helps him work on his blocking some this year. He has good size he just needs to learn how to use it.

Archived