• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN power rankings

scpanther22

Wow, I'm not sure I like this Panthers' board. I go to many and this is the ONLY one like a big cheerleading squad. If you don't fall into the clique, your a troll.

Nice.

(BTW, PSL holder that drives 10 hours round trip to home games. Troll on that.) :)

Optimism isn't wrong...it's okay if it that's what makes people more earger for the season. Homer optimism is just set up for a let down if you don't win the Super Bowl. As it stands, it looks like 98% of this board are homer optimist.
you haven't been around long enough to know. many of these people that you are labeling as homers are as realistic about this team and as critical as anyone else has been. most of us, though, are seeing the silver lining and there is a whole lot. we aren't basing our potential on last year's sudden demise and aren't giving the schedule next year any more credit than it deserves.

many of us were hating that trgo was the DC and had been calling for his head for years. that we got our wish and because of the early signs form mini-camp and the change in attitude and attention to detail and fundamentals, the new defensive coaching staff is going to be much better the previous bunch.

we are stoked that we got everette brown (whom i thought should have been a top 5-10 pick). we are happy that the same team that got us to 12-4, division championship, and a week one bye is still for the most part intact.

many of us are happy with fox...for the moment. many of us (myself included) were calling for his head. he and hurney have, because of their offseason work and drafting record, bought themselves some time. changes to the coaching staff was very much welcome. we are pumped that we have a new QB coach who is teaching jake things that he hasn't had since he has been here and is holding him accountable for each and every mistake he makes.

dude, you just don't realize how much reason there is to be optimistic about next year. it isn't thinking that we are going to go undefeated or even able to reach 12-4. it is realizing that we are going to have one of the toughest schedules in the league and that this team is up for the challenge. after next year, when we have a winning record and make it into the playoffs, there is going to be little question about the legit strength of this team.

are we setting ourselves up for a most certain letdown? no. we have a legit shot at getting to the playoffs next year and doing better.

are we setting ourselves up for a possible letdown? sure. there is always a chance that things could blow up.

the only thing you have to ask is, why would you not want to feel good about this team that you are a fan of? why would you want to hold on to this idea that this team is facing almost insurmountable odds when you make that 10 hour drive? why would you not want to be proud of your team's accomplishments last year and get excited about this teams chance to prove itself next year and feel confident that they can?

you are going to have a confidence one way or the other. you are either confident that they will win or won't win. both are real possibilities and both perspectives are equally valid. only one of them is more of a fun ride. if we get shut down next year...what's the big deal? we have a very good young team and a lot to build on. there is no window that is about to close. all the windows are wide open right now and i don't know how it looks from where you are standing but i see sunshine.

whatever justification you have for not being as optimistic about next year, just know that most of these people you are calling homers are not blind and are coming to this perspective knowing full well the risk involved and where we have been. the teams weaknesses are no secret but neither are the strengths. we are counting on the strengths outweighing the weaknesses and have a lot of reason to believe that we will come out winning.

You didn't, but Rayzor did.
wasn't calling you a troll either. it isn't all about you. i was referring to someone else who has been on here lately that is. if you want to know who it is you won't have to look very hard.

i respect your opinion more than that other very wrong poster.

Here's what what I think...laying it all out here; the Panthers will go 10-6 or 9-7 and make the playoffs as a wildcard team. As much as it pains me to say this, I think Atlanta may win the divison. We finish no worse than #2 in the divison and may actaully win the South. Our schedule is ridiculously tough and the two strength of schedule games may be the diffence between us and the Dirty Birds. The Saints are paper tigers once again, so I'm not too worried about them.

The East teams make me anxious in the post season and I'm not sure we can go into Philly or the Giants home and pull off the upset. If so, and for whatever reason we face a team not named Pittsburgh or New England in the Super Bowl, I think we can win it.

Our DL makes me worry and a lack of another playmaker at WR is unsettling too. Are we set about everywhere else? Yeah...that's a great thing, but we are about 2-3 very good players from being right there with the top 4 or so teams in the league. Alas, we didn't/haven't got them so the weakness may bite us when we face those elite teams.

I really like the Panthers 2009 edition, but that doesn't mean I can't still pine for those areas of upgrade to get tweeked. Maybe we get a solid player or two after the June 1 cuts (not that they have the same impact as year' past).

As far as the coaching staff, I never really cared for Trgovac either. That said, coaches coach and players play and some of the D-line play last year was boarderline horrible. I would like to say one solid addition and a coaching change will completely correct the issue, however that is just wishful thinking until I see them in action. A wanted change is only good if a desired result is reached and right now that change is only on paper. I am the type to have to see things with my own eyes...I will admit to that. Until I get to see the 'improvements' in action, then yeah, I'm going to hold back on the celebration...especially in May.

you haven't been around long enough to know. many of these people that you are labeling as homers are as realistic about this team and as critical as anyone else has been. most of us, though, are seeing the silver lining and there is a whole lot. we aren't basing our potential on last year's sudden demise and aren't giving the schedule next year any more credit than it deserves.

many of us were hating that trgo was the DC and had been calling for his head for years. that we got our wish and because of the early signs form mini-camp and the change in attitude and attention to detail and fundamentals, the new defensive coaching staff is going to be much better the previous bunch.

we are stoked that we got everette brown (whom i thought should have been a top 5-10 pick). we are happy that the same team that got us to 12-4, division championship, and a week one bye is still for the most part intact.

many of us are happy with fox...for the moment. many of us (myself included) were calling for his head. he and hurney have, because of their offseason work and drafting record, bought themselves some time. changes to the coaching staff was very much welcome. we are pumped that we have a new QB coach who is teaching jake things that he hasn't had since he has been here and is holding him accountable for each and every mistake he makes.

dude, you just don't realize how much reason there is to be optimistic about next year. it isn't thinking that we are going to go undefeated or even able to reach 12-4. it is realizing that we are going to have one of the toughest schedules in the league and that this team is up for the challenge. after next year, when we have a winning record and make it into the playoffs, there is going to be little question about the legit strength of this team.

are we setting ourselves up for a most certain letdown? no. we have a legit shot at getting to the playoffs next year and doing better.

are we setting ourselves up for a possible letdown? sure. there is always a chance that things could blow up.

the only thing you have to ask is, why would you not want to feel good about this team that you are a fan of? why would you want to hold on to this idea that this team is facing almost insurmountable odds when you make that 10 hour drive? why would you not want to be proud of your team's accomplishments last year and get excited about this teams chance to prove itself next year and feel confident that they can?

you are going to have a confidence one way or the other. you are either confident that they will win or won't win. both are real possibilities and both perspectives are equally valid. only one of them is more of a fun ride. if we get shut down next year...what's the big deal? we have a very good young team and a lot to build on. there is no window that is about to close. all the windows are wide open right now and i don't know how it looks from where you are standing but i see sunshine.

whatever justification you have for not being as optimistic about next year, just know that most of these people you are calling homers are not blind and are coming to this perspective knowing full well the risk involved and where we have been. the teams weaknesses are no secret but neither are the strengths. we are counting on the strengths outweighing the weaknesses and have a lot of reason to believe that we will come out winning.

Explained it pretty good. I agree that the time for optimism is while we are undefeated. Soon enough we will see what issues and problems we have and whether we have addressed them. If you can't get excited now you never will. I am a big Trgo hater so I am stoked about the defense and expecting the offense to pick up where it left off.

All of these supposed realists are actual making me depressed. They sound more like folks who can't step out on the limb for fear they might be wrong. Don't want to get our hopes up now do we. Won't be the first time I am wrong or the last. In the end I am excited about what we are building and am more optimistic than I have been for years. Of course I am a homer. If that means an excited fan who roots for his own team and expects to win then I am guilty as charged. It is means an unrealistic uneducated fan withut any perspective or understanding, then that is very far from the truth.

Here's what what I think...laying it all out here; the Panthers will go 10-6 or 9-7 and make the playoffs as a wildcard team. As much as it pains me to say this, I think Atlanta may win the divison. We finish no worse than #2 in the divison and may actaully win the South. Our schedule is ridiculously tough and the two strength of schedule games may be the diffence between us and the Dirty Birds. The Saints are paper tigers once again, so I'm not too worried about them.
pretty reasonable and i mostly agree. i've done some looking at some stats and projecting next year that has me starting to be a little more concerned about the saints than the falcons but i'll be doing something with that later (i'm really bad about putting off work today).
The East teams make me anxious in the post season and I'm not sure we can go into Philly or the Giants home and pull off the upset. If so, and for whatever reason we face a team not named Pittsburgh or New England in the Super Bowl, I think we can win it.
i totally agree with all of that. eagles and giants, particularly the eagles have me a bit worried but i think we definitely could go all the way.
Our DL makes me worry and a lack of another playmaker at WR is unsettling too. Are we set about everywhere else? Yeah...that's a great thing, but we are about 2-3 very good players from being right there with the top 4 or so teams in the league. Alas, we didn't/haven't got them so the weakness may bite us when we face those elite teams.

As far as the coaching staff, I never really cared for Trgovac either. That said, coaches coach and players play and some of the D-line play last year was boarderline horrible. I would like to say one solid addition and a coaching change will completely correct the issue, however that is just wishful thinking until I see them in action. A wanted change is only good if a desired result is reached and right now that change is only on paper.

i'm more concerned with the DL than the WR position. i think jarrett really grows into it and also we should be getting more out of our TEs, esp. barnidge as he sees more PT. i'm also pretty high on goodson and feel pretty good about robinson. i think Rip is going to be working on getting jake to spread it around more and to make better choices. again, just showing my confidence in Rip and his potential with Jake but considering what was seen from him at mini-camp and the incredible improvement over (or at the very least noticeable change from) mccoy.

i do think that we solidified things a bit more on the DL and if peppers stays i'm thinking he plays. i really like what baker and meeks are going to be doing. i see meeks utilizing our guys better and helping them regain that aggressive streak that is very much going to be needed. i see him focusing the players more and have a more player-strength focused plan of attack. baker, much like rip, was working the DL much differently than sal did. according to those who were at minicamp he focused a lot more on fundamentals and technique...something that really hasn't been seen in, well, i never saw that from sal. loved the guy but that was something that we just didn't see at TC.

I really like the Panthers 2009 edition, but that doesn't mean I can't still pine for those areas of upgrade to get tweeked. Maybe we get a solid player or two after the June 1 cuts (not that they have the same impact as year' past).
i totally see that and can respect that. i'm not really of the persuasion that we really need FA help and would love to see us go without it but i wouldn't mind help at DT come in either. another big fat body to plug in the middle of the line on either side and another guy to back up kalil would make me really happy. other than that i don't think we need much and think we'd be fine without. that would be gravy.
I am the type to have to see things with my own eyes...I will admit to that. Until I get to see the 'improvements' in action, then yeah, I'm going to hold back on the celebration...especially in May.
again i can totally see that and very much respect it.

people love to call the Panthers the model of inconsistency... but they fall all over the Chargers who look good every year AND DO NOTHING

the Chargers being ranked high again... at #7 is crazy

If you're basing your "do nothing" statement on winning a Super Bowl, then 31 teams "do nothing" every season. There is something to be said of making it to the playoffs consistently, season after season.

And I'm not calling the Panthers the model of inconsistency, either. Consistently winning football games and going to the playoffs in the NFL is no small feat

I've seen several people say we will do poorly because of the schedule. I think you guys are giving too much credit to some of these teams. I'm not buying into all the hype...

Cowboys - Mediocre, inconsistent, most overrated team in the NFL. Just lost a big play WR and had a horrible draft. Ooohhh... I'm scared.

Giants - Eli can't carry their offense, especially with Burress gone. They'll lean on their run more than us. Ward is also gone and Jacobs is injury prone as hell. If Jacobs goes out, they become a one-sided team.

Redskins - Offseason champs as usual. Bitch please...

Jets - By the time we play them, they may have almost no shot at making the playoffs and have a rookie QB starting that only started 1 year in college. Good luck with that one.

Cardinals - They had a great playoff run but they are also very inconsistent and lost some key players on defense. Won't be easy but if we play well and stick to our running game we should beat them.

Dolphins - I don't see that offense doing much against us. Just looks like a really good matchup for us.

Bills - A team that struggled to stop the run even when facing mediocre RBs. Hmmm... I wonder if we will get 200+ or 300+ yards rushing.

NFC South - Bucs are in complete rebuild mode, lost a great DC and spent their 1st on a player that won't play next year. We should sweep them easily. If we do, we can split with NO and Atlanta and still have the same division record we did last year, and it's possible we even improve on that.

Teams I'm actually worried about... Eagles are no joke and the Patriots are still the Patriots. Vikings will be tough just because it's a terrible matchup.

That schedule really isn't as tough as it looks at first glance. Also, every year a few of the teams you play are decimated with injuries and turn out to be much easier than expected.

Overall, I think we end up 4-12 (just kidding)

Archived