• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deangelo Williams a free agent afte this season

Didn't the Panthers use both in an efficient way?

Yes, but regardless of what happens with Deangelo after his contract is up, unless Stewart's production takes a huge nose dive during the next two years or it becomes obvious he's not starting material, he's going to get his chance to get the number of carries D-will got last season and will likely continue to get over the next two years. Basically he's going to get his chance to prove he can be a starter in the NFL. We didn't draft him to play second fiddle to Williams all five years of his rookie contract.

The Panthers didn't draft Williams in 2006 to be a backup either, as long as both backs can work well together they'll be kept. Their talents fit perfectly, Williams is a quick, finesse back where as Stewart is a hard nosed guy who'll run people over.

The Panthers didn't draft Williams in 2006 to be a backup either, as long as both backs can work well together they'll be kept. Their talents fit perfectly, Williams is a quick, finesse back where as Stewart is a hard nosed guy who'll run people over.

You are right most teams in the NFL now recognize that they need 2 starting quality backs in order to deal with productivity and health issues. Both Stewart and Williams will get their carries. Most teams are going from one back getting all the carries to spreading the load out more evenly.

The Panthers didn't draft Williams in 2006 to be a backup either, as long as both backs can work well together they'll be kept.

You're absolutely right, and that's why Williams started last season, why he'll start this upcoming season, and why he'll likely start next season too. So you're not really negating my point whatsoever by saying that. Deshaun Foster wasn't drafted to be a backup and he got his chance too. Like it or not, Stewart will be given his chance to shine also. Now if Deangelo is cool with being the backup to Stewart and doesn't demand too much cash, he'll stay and I hope he does. If he doesn't then he'll get a 60 million dollar contract with the Raiders and gain 300 yards on the ground over the course of 3 years.

Their talents fit perfectly, Williams is a quick, finesse back where as Stewart is a hard nosed guy who'll run people over.

Crap if only there were some sort of event where you could take players from the collegiate level where we could find a back who could be a great compliment to Stewart if D-Will leaves.

Also don't count out Goodson. Yes he's small but I'll wait to see what he does on the field before I rule out his chances of making it as a running ba

Stewart's size and speed are rare, but Deangelo is just a beast... I really hate the day we have to let Stewart go, lol...

I will never think about this issue ever again until that day comes...

Oh yes. Deangelo is a monster he accelerates as good as anyone, his vision and stiff arm are elite and his shiftyness and change of direction makes you think Barry. I was just saying that Stewart is no one trick pony, for some reason people think he's a power compliment to Williams. Which to an extent is true and he is a powerful runner but he also has the ability to break away and burn people. His top end speed probably rivals if not surpasses Deangelo. But theres no question that Williams is a better RB imo.

You're absolutely right, and that's why Williams started last season, why he'll start this upcoming season, and why he'll likely start next season too. So you're not really negating my point whatsoever by saying that. Deshaun Foster wasn't drafted to be a backup and he got his chance too. Like it or not, Stewart will be given his chance to shine also. Now if Deangelo is cool with being the backup to Stewart and doesn't demand too much cash, he'll stay and I hope he does. If he doesn't then he'll get a 60 million dollar contract with the Raiders and gain 300 yards on the ground over the course of 3 years.

Crap if only there were some sort of event where you could take players from the collegiate level where we could find a back who could be a great compliment to Stewart if D-Will leaves.

Also don't count out Goodson. Yes he's small but I'll wait to see what he does on the field before I rule out his chances of making it as a running ba

I just don't see how you can pull that point. Stewart is spot on, I love the guy, but Williams is the better player at the moment. As long as he's pulling in 1500+ yards a season and making 18 touchdowns, he's here unless he cannot make a deal. I see the offense being run pretty much as it was last year for several years into the future...

Oh yes. Deangelo is a monster he accelerates as good as anyone, his vision and stiff arm are elite and his shiftyness and change of direction makes you think Barry. I was just saying that Stewart is no one trick pony, for some reason people think he's a power compliment to Williams. Which to an extent is true and he is a powerful runner but he also has the ability to break away and burn people. His top end speed probably rivals if not surpasses Deangelo. But theres no question that Williams is a better RB imo.

yeah, he has some burners... I would love to see Stewart run with that vision and shiftiness that Deangelo has.. If so, Stewart needs to be hte one that stays.. His speed and size do not show that often.

I just don't see how you can pull that point. Stewart is spot on, I love the guy, but Williams is the better player at the moment. As long as he's pulling in 1500+ yards a season and making 18 touchdowns, he's here unless he cannot make a deal. I see the offense being run pretty much as it was last year for several years into the future...

That's the thing. Would I give a big fat contract to D-Will if his rookie contract ended this past season? Hell yes. But the likelihood of him being at the same spot talent-wise that he is right now in 2011 is slim. Meanwhile Stewart is going to get better and better over the next two years.

It's impossible to know for sure, but I'd bet Stewart is the better back of the two by the time Williams' contract runs out. And like I said, if Stewart morphs into Eric Shelton, then I'm all for giving Williams the big contract and letting him continue to start as long as he can play at a high level. But if Stewart proves he deserves a shot to be in Williams' shoes I can't see the front office not giving him the chance after Williams' deal runs out.

Williams will get three years to be a top five back in this league. After that, he'll get his chance to go somewhere else for a huge contract. Or if he loves it here, he'll stay on. That seems to make perfect sense to me. Three years for Williams in order to give him the best shot possible at a huge contract with a team (if he wants it) and then Stewart still has two years to show what he can do as a starter before his rookie contract runs out. But we're stupid if we don't give Stewart a chance before then and then he bolts for another team because he's pissed he never got a shot here.

yeah, he has some burners... I would love to see Stewart run with that "it" that Deangelo has.. If so, Stewart needs to be hte one that stays.. His speed and size do not show that often.

Stewart will show a big improvement this year. Most players make the most change between year 1 and 2. Williams took 2 years but it seems that Stewart and Williams hit it off right away. I expect that Stewart will run less tentatively and with more authority this year.

Stewart will show a big improvement this year. Most players make the most change between year 1 and 2. Williams took 2 years but it seems that Stewart and Williams hit it off right away. I expect that Stewart will run less tentatively and with more authority this year.

I certainly expect Stewart to be better this year than last year... Like someone else said, we'll have to see who is better by the time DWill's contract is up. With Stewart being younger, I'd hope by then he is better. I have a feeling, however, that Deangelo may be a special player throughout his career. We'll see if that's right or if Stewart is just as good/special...

If I were able to choose, I'd make it Stewart though (with the potential this kid has)...

lol you guys are right I'm sorry. We're going to waste Stewart's most productive years having him come off the bench while Deangelo takes the field in his wheel chair.

You mind giving me the lottery numbers and weather forecast for 2011 as well?

That's the thing. Would I give a big fat contract to D-Will if his rookie contract ended this past season? Hell yes. But the likelihood of him being at the same spot talent-wise that he is right now in 2011 is slim. Meanwhile Stewart is going to get better and better over the next two years.

It's impossible to know for sure, but I'd bet Stewart is the better back of the two by the time Williams' contract runs out. And like I said, if Stewart morphs into Eric Shelton, then I'm all for giving Williams the big contract and letting him continue to start as long as he can play at a high level. But if Stewart proves he deserves a shot to be in Williams' shoes I can't see the front office not giving him the chance after Williams' deal runs out.

Williams will get three years to be a top five back in this league. After that, he'll get his chance to go somewhere else for a huge contract. Or if he loves it here, he'll stay on. That seems to make perfect sense to me. Three years for Williams in order to give him the best shot possible at a huge contract with a team (if he wants it) and then Stewart still has two years to show what he can do as a starter before his rookie contract runs out. But we're stupid if we don't give Stewart a chance before then and then he bolts for another team because he's pissed he never got a shot here.

There isn't anybody on here that loves Stewart more than I do. I'm just sayin' he's going to have a hard time pushing Williams out until Williams obviously declines, and I don't think it will be for several years, just sayin'...

Archived