• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you like to keep Rivera

Guest Tom Cat

Keep Rivera as DC?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep Rivera as DC if you had the decision to make?

• Yes
    • No

He has 9 games left to turn things around. I am in favor of waiting to see how we do the rest of the way and deciding then. Making a decision now makes no sense.

Sadly 55, I have seen enough. Rivera "turned things around" last season. What the heck happened with last year's progress? Game planning, play calling, and game management have been awful. I hate to admit that. I wanted this to work.

yeah, it's kind of a ridiculous notion.

rivera would have no problem finding another DC job after here. no need for him to stick around and the team needs a complete break from the old staff, esp. if they still like the coach (which i don't doubt is the case).

The eagles would pick him up

I'd like to see Beane has GM and Rivera given one more season before we make drastic changes.

i don't approve of rivera's coaching thus far...but i grudgingly lean in this direction.

there is no guarantee that the new FO and coaching staff would be any better (which in itself is not a great reason for not turning things over) and i'd like to see some stability on the team. turning things over again may not have a great effect on team morale heading into next year and getting things back on track could still take a couple years. i don't want a frustrated franchise QB to walk away because they were looking for a more stable situation.

having a HC change should be an absolute last resort.

again, i'm pulling for rivera, not because i particularly like him, but because i don't want the team to go through another restructuring so soon after the last one.

Has that EVER happened? I do not see it under any circumstance.

occasionally a coordinator will receive a demotion and stay, but there's no precedent for it leaguewide and it takes both sides to want that to happen. Richard Williamson stepped down from OC back to WR s coach between 01-02, Ron Meeks went from '10 coordinator to '11 DBs coach. But for the most part, firing a coach means severing ties with him. Ron Rivera's a brilliant DC who will work well for someone next year.

occasionally a coordinator will receive a demotion and stay, but there's no precedent for it leaguewide and it takes both sides to want that to happen. Richard Williamson stepped down from OC back to WR s coach between 01-02, Ron Meeks went from '10 coordinator to '11 DBs coach. But for the most part, firing a coach means severing ties with him. Ron Rivera's a brilliant DC who will work well for someone next year.

Yeah, I remember Meeks, and they fired him as db coach if I remember right. We saw a bit of a new Rivera today, but 2 things bothered me. First, he has to force himself to be aggressive. Second, the indecision. The announcer made a comment about the challenge--RR questioned the decision to challenge, and then won. Then he had to take a timeout to decide to try the long field goal-and he discussed it with the kicker before making the decision.

Frankly, I think it was due to the criticism from last week. I though a punt was the right call there, but I understand kicking the FG. What i do not get is the fact that the decision took so many forms before he made it.

Guest Tom Cat

Yeah, I remember Meeks, and they fired him as db coach if I remember right. We saw a bit of a new Rivera today, but 2 things bothered me. First, he has to force himself to be aggressive. Second, the indecision. The announcer made a comment about the challenge--RR questioned the decision to challenge, and then won. Then he had to take a timeout to decide to try the long field goal-and he discussed it with the kicker before making the decision.

Frankly, I think it was due to the criticism from last week. I though a punt was the right call there, but I understand kicking the FG. What i do not get is the fact that the decision took so many forms before he made it.

good post - I saw the same things- but maybe the guy is growing into his HC position - some times it takes a bit of a refocus to become the guy that is the last place for the buck to stop at.

I really think he is suffering from a lack of experience in the offensive realm.

Archived