• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you like to keep Rivera

Guest Tom Cat

Keep Rivera as DC?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep Rivera as DC if you had the decision to make?

• Yes
    • No

Has that EVER happened? I do not see it under any circumstance.

yeah, it's kind of a ridiculous notion.

rivera would have no problem finding another DC job after here. no need for him to stick around and the team needs a complete break from the old staff, esp. if they still like the coach (which i don't doubt is the case).

I fear the weak schedule from here through january will keep him here another year. I see us winning 5 of the last 9 games. Some of the comments have suggested how other coaches failed before succeeding.

Rivera has shown a complete and total inability to manage games. He has young, inexperienced coordinators. Do you see him chatting with them? He is detatched and that has shown his inability to manage football games. When you do not attempt a FG because it is windy and you might miss and it could negatively impact the kicker's self-esteem, you are afraid. WHen you decide to throw a hail mary instead (one that could get intercepted and hurt the struggling QB's confidence) that has a much lower chance of succeeding, you are stupid. Wnen you refuse to adjust to the opponent's damage to make them "systemically beat us," you are stubborn and aftraid and stupid.

The fact that he has displayed ignorance and is a bit arrogant about it suggests that there is no chemistry or talent issue at play. We are being outcoached every week.

Except for New Orleans, because they do not have a coach and their interim was suspended too. That was a chess match.

Has that ever even happened in the NFL....there is no way if i got fired as a coach I'd stay on as the DC. That scenario doesn't even begin to make sense. Keeping assistants, that happens, but you don't see coaches coming back to the same team with a lesser role.

I don't look for Ron Rivera to be back next year in any shape or form...The only way Rivera keeps his HC job is if this team miraculously wins all of the remaining "toss up" games (of our 16 game schedule, most of them could have gone either way, as shown by the close losses). Even if we finish the season 7-2, he's probably gone. A new GM will probably want to bring in his own coach, and not one that had just gone 8-8

I fear the weak schedule from here through january will keep him here another year. I see us winning 5 of the last 9 games. Some of the comments have suggested how other coaches failed before succeeding.

Rivera has shown a complete and total inability to manage games. He has young, inexperienced coordinators. Do you see him chatting with them? He is detatched and that has shown his inability to manage football games. When you do not attempt a FG because it is windy and you might miss and it could negatively impact the kicker's self-esteem, you are afraid. WHen you decide to throw a hail mary instead (one that could get intercepted and hurt the struggling QB's confidence) that has a much lower chance of succeeding, you are stupid. Wnen you refuse to adjust to the opponent's damage to make them "systemically beat us," you are stubborn and aftraid and stupid.

The fact that he has displayed ignorance and is a bit arrogant about it suggests that there is no chemistry or talent issue at play. We are being outcoached every week.

Except for New Orleans, because they do not have a coach and their interim was suspended too. That was a chess match.

stupid is not keeping the "hailmary" pass in the field of play.

I'd take him as a DC, but no way he would take that demotion. Some guys are good coordinators, but just aren't meant to be head coaches. I think Rivera and Chud fit that mold, although Chud isn't looking great as a play caller this year.

Fired coaches frequently take demotions when they move to other teams. It would be either be that, or he'd be retained. I can't recall a head coach ever just getting demoted within his current organization. Sometimes coaches lower in the hierarchy are retained or promoted, but head coaches never get to stay if they lose the top job.

Rivera probably won't have a choice to take that demotion if things keep going downhill however I think once you're the head coach of a certain team, going to the DC on the same team doesn't seem like it'd work with the players.

I voted YES, but it will never happen of course. Not because Rivera is not a damn good DC, but because demotions don't work in high profile leadership jobs. And Rivera will be able to get good gig somewhere else.

It is just amazing to me how someone as "stupid" and "inflexible" as Ron Rivera can be the DC of a Superbowl team--a Superbowl team with Rex Grossman at quarterback. Not all good DC's are cut out to be head coaches, but I would wager a good deal of money there has NEVER been a good NFL DC who was "stupid" and "inflexible". You simply cannot be "inflexible" and be a good DC at the NFL level.

Rivera must also be a master thespian, because he does a damn good job of sounding intelligent in press conferences.

The man has made many mistakes, the one indefensible one being to allow Chudzinski--and probably Newton and Hurney--to convince him to adopt the zone read as Carolina's base offense.

GM

Archived