• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thunder Road Marathon/Half Marathon in Charlotte, NC Nov. 17

CardiacCats

I see what you did there :)

...I'll work on it..if I think I can do it (without stopping of course) I'll do it

Just checked website, capping racers at 10,000. There's a 5K option too ;)

no. I set a really high goal, gave myself plenty of time and was just trying to build up to it.

But by the time I got up to being able to run 6-7 miles, my shins and knees would hurt too much and it would take days to recover.

If you're having trouble with swelling and soreness after distance, try doing an ice bath after long runs. My wife and I run and she was having some issues with swelling after our 10+ milers. It worked really well for her...eliminated the swelling and cut down her recovery time significantly.

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/8-Ice-Bath-Dos-and-Donts.htm

Three 10 lb. bags of ice in a standard tub should do the trick. I poured them in first and tried to keep the water from the faucet on the cold side while still streaming fast enough to fill the tub in 10-15 mins. You really don't want to be sitting in a bunch of ice cubes, rather just really cold water left after most of the ice has melted. Strip down to nothing but an old fleece pullover or something like it and submerge yourself up to your waist. It helps to have a cup of coffee or something to give you the sensation of warmth. 10 mins is a good duration. Have your wife on standby with a towel for afterward. She'll get some lulz and you will avoid freezing to death, win/win.

Good luck!

I did it a few years ago, it's fun but a little hilly. I strained my calf last Friday but it should be good to go by then, so I may do it again. I did 12 miles on the 21st on a flat course at a 10 minute pace, and that felt pretty good.

Jase, do some research on POSE style running. It will solve your shin/knee issues. It's taken me several months of practice to get it right, but now I run toe-heel at least 75% of the time, and the difference is amazing.

http://www.posetech.com/library/dr-02-05-007.html

Archived