• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Write up on our undrafted FA

scpanther22

I think this is a good read about our undrafted guys

nobody seems to like Justin Kershaw.IDK I never heard of him,two guys i have heard nothing but good about is kevin brock and miller..so i will watch these two.

Kevin Brock, TE, Rutgers

Undrafted Free Agent

6-6, 255, 4.64

The Panthers don’t need another TE, but Brock has scary potential. He’s nearly 6-6 and over 250 lbs., yet he ran a 4.64 40 on his pro day. He was a dominant college blocker at TE, yet he’s a converted WR. He was rarely used as a receiver yet he put up decent numbers in both his years at Rutgers. Gained over 40 lbs. in college yet ran a 6.81 in the 3 cone drill, which is outstanding. In comparison, top draft pick Everette Brown, also 255 lbs., only managed a 7.55 in the cone drill, and Captain Munnerlyn, who weighs 186 lbs. and is known for his quickness, only ran a 7.05. Knowshon Moreno ran a 6.84. Darrius Heyward-Bey ran a 6.80. Need I continue? Only eight players on TSN’s top 99 list ran a faster cone drill at the combine (which is supposed to measure agility) than Brock’s 6.81. The rest of Brock’s pro day numbers included a 34" vertical, a 9'11" broad, a 4.28 short shuttle, and 23 bench reps of 225 lbs. But Brock is about more than just measurables. He gives great effort and intensity as a blocker and doesn’t go down easily with the ball in his hands. He’s very raw as a rout runner thanks to his limited experience as a receiving TE, but he actually has great hands and pure receiving ability. He came to Rutgers as a WR. Is long as well as tall, and can outreach defenders. Strong and physical, and will only keep getting stronger. Has the frame to add 10-20 lbs. more muscle. Will continue to improve his already great blocking ability as he gains more experience at TE. Has the potential to really surprise a lot of people as a receiver if given the chance. Reminds me a little of Marion Butts success as an 1,000 yard NFL RB after hardly touching the ball at all in college. Pure physical ability made him a great player whether he was used as a blocker or a runner. Butts was actually at his best on special teams, which is where Brock will start out with the log jam at TE ahead of him. Smart, intense, and has that mean streak. Is a tough guy who plays through pain and does whatever is asked of him. Excellent technique. Very aware on the field. Team leader. Smart. I could go on and on. Coach’s, scout’s quarterback’s, and right tackle’s dream all in one package. He was too good to pass up as a UFA and will probably still be around when Dante Rosario leaves as a free agent.

Brit Miller, LB, Illinois

Undrafted Free Agent

6-1, 255, 4.8-4.9

J Leman’s former LB mate at Illinois, Miller is like a bigger version of Tim Shaw (who I still say the Panthers should resign). His mix of size and versatility is very similar to Baltimore Ravens ‘backer Jameel McClain, who was an undrafted free agent last year. Miller is one of those rare LBs who can all but shut down the inside run game by himself. Few MLBs can defeat the double team like he can. Few get the double teams, because few demand them. Miller is the second of two big, versatile LBs the Panthers have brought in this offseason, which really encourages me. Miller is a amazing force against the run, and is extremely intimidating. He’s built like a block of granite. Not a chiseled granite statue, but a 6x6 block of granite. Some time in the Panthers weight program and Miller would be a borderline MLB/DT. Seriously, he’s that strong. He absolutely destroys people when he hits them. He’s a little like Ray Nitschke all over again. High praise yes. Some of his hits recall thoughts of Butkus, another fellow Illinois alum. In fact, J Leman and Brit Miller are the closest things we’ve seen at Illinois to Butkus since Butkus. Miller, like Leman, will rarely be making plays at the sidelines, but hash mark to hash mark, not much will get by him in one piece. Knows how to hit. Not worth much in pass coverage and has hard hands. That’s okay considering how good he is against the run. Is the kind of player who can change games simply by coming in on 3rd and short. Was extremely productive at Illinois, especially after Leman left. Racked up 135 tackles (72 solo, 11 per game), 6 sacks (!?!), 15.5 tackles for loss (!), and an interception as a senior. Also forced three fumbles, recovered one, and broke up 8 passes. Once you get past his amazing numbers against the run, you realize how good his numbers as a pass rusher and in coverage were. His dominant ability in the run game overshadows his all around football ability. He has great acceleration and explosiveness and has shown tremendous ability to shoot the gaps as a stand up defensive tackle (yes, you read that right). He could also be a candidate to be a great lead blocking fullback. Miller is my kind of player, and is the classic MLB who falls out of the draft because of his lack of measurables before going on to have a great NFL career. I love Brit Miller as a player. As much as I love J Leman and liked Tim Shaw, I’d rather see Miller backing up Jon Beason.

C.J. Davis, OG/C, Pittsburgh

Undrafted Free Agent

6-2, 308, 5.53

I love this signing. Davis is a great guy and a very smart player. Was a tough leader who made line calls before he even switched from guard to center. Versatile and tough inside, similar to Geoff Hangartner. His lack of height keeps him from playing tackle. Ran slow 40s, but is very quick in small spaces. Strong and powerful, mean and nasty. Finisher. Fits the Panther mentality. Hard worker who’s willing to do anything to help his team. Great at trapping and making the short pulls required in the power running game. Has great “natural” technique (how to hit people), but could use a little coaching on the finer points of the game. Great first punch. Not good in the open field, but the Panthers won’t need him to be. The Panthers have done great things with unknown guards in the past. Was a great blocker in college who fell because of his lack of great measurables. Often criticized for his lack of height, but since when does that really actually matter for a guard? Terry Long was a great player for East Carolina and the Pittsburg Steelers power trapping scheme, and I could swear he’s not an inch over 5-10. 5-11 272 was his listed size. That didn’t stop him and it won’t stop Davis. Davis is very strong and will get even stronger. He was one of the top forces in the college running game, and was no slouch as a pass blocker. If players were drafted for how they performed in college, Davis would have received first round consideration. Adds needed depth and versatility to the Panthers interior O-line.

full write up with more players here..some good facts there i did not know about some of the UD guys

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/Carolinareb632/190358

yeah, that write up was done a little after the draft. i think it was posted in here, actually but still a good read.

i think we did about as good as any team could have done as far as UDFAs are concerned. almost all of them are interesting prospects to me. the WRs we got are quick as can be and seem pretty versatile. brock has a ton of potential...good blocker and a converted WR, can't ask for much more than that. the LBs i'm liking quite a bit. the CB we got, scirrotto, i really like. same with lonnie. i'm really going to be pulling for those guys.

Didn't know all that about Brock, sounds like he has a lot of potential.
mr. scot and others at mini camp seemed to really like what they saw from him. dude apparently made some really nice grabs. at that size, that mobility, with good hands could be huge in scoring situations.

saw this at CBS.com about him:

Overview

A raw prospect with a lot of ability, Brock is just scratching the surface of his talent. He had 26 catches for 300 yards and two touchdowns as a senior, despite being benched midway through the season for inconsistent production in the passing game and blocking effort. Still, Brock once again showed his potential in the PapaJohns.com Bowl against North Carolina State, as he made a nice catch down the seam and controlled defensive ends on the line of scrimmage.

Analysis

Positives: Good height and upper body build. Used as an in-line blocker and moving tight end and is effective blocking from either spot. Can lock his arms, move his feet and maintain balance even against a tough hand punch from a linebacker. Seals the edge by using his length and strength to angle the defender to the inside. Gets to top speed quickly, and will challenge the seam with his length and solid hands. Able to block downfield to spring long runs.

Negatives: His routes are rough, at best, as he will round or cut them off or misread the correct path. Does not have a second gear to run away from top NFL linebackers. Can lose leverage as an in-line blocker due to a lack of anchor and lower body strength. Hesitates instead of reaching second level in the running game. Inconsistent hands, and will lose concentration or let the ball get into his body. Played only two years of high school football. Work ethic and effort have been questioned.

not the most glowing report but with good hands and the fact that he is a good blocker, he might be of some good value to us.

saw another report on him...

Overview

Converted WR who is now primarily a blocking TE. Saw few opportunities to get involved in the passing game while on the field (more scheme-based than ability of player).

LATE NOTE: Really lit it up at the Rutgers Pro Day with 4.64/4.67 40-yard heats, a 34" vertical, a 9'11" broad jump, a 4.28 short shuttle and a 6.81 3-cone drill and 23 bench reps.

Strengths

Nice height. Has experience catching as a former wide receiver. Has bulked up and carried the weight well. Has learned to block well. Has good functional strength. Despite his role, he is athletic and could flourish in a pass-heavy role. Posted an excellent 6.85 agility drill at his pro day workout.

Weaknesses

Not going to make many big plays. Despite being an ex-wideout, has become more of a one-dimensional blocking TE.

comparing his pro-day stats with those at the combine...

4.64/4.67 40-yard heats (would have been the 3rd fastest TE)

34" vertical (4th highest among TEs)

9'11" broad jump (would have tied for 3rd among TEs)

4.28 short shuttle (would have been the 4th fastest TE)

6.81 3-cone drill (would have been the fastest TE)

23 bench reps. (one more than pettigrew)

he and gary barnidge could be huge threats in the passing game...you know...if we used the TE there much. Mr. Scot did say it seemed like they were being targeted more at minicamp than other practices he had seen.

i could see this guy pushing rosario for a roster spot big time if he shows himself to be a better blocker (which shouldn't be that hard).

mr. scot and others at mini camp seemed to really like what they saw from him. dude apparently made some really nice grabs. at that size, that mobility, with good hands could be huge in scoring situations.

saw this at CBS.com about him:

not the most glowing report but with good hands and the fact that he is a good blocker, he might be of some good value to us.

saw another report on him...

comparing his pro-day stats with those at the combine...

4.64/4.67 40-yard heats (would have been the 3rd fastest TE)

34" vertical (4th highest among TEs)

9'11" broad jump (would have tied for 3rd among TEs)

4.28 short shuttle (would have been the 4th fastest TE)

6.81 3-cone drill (would have been the fastest TE)

23 bench reps. (one more than pettigrew)

he and gary barnidge could be huge threats in the passing game...you know...if we used the TE there much. Mr. Scot did say it seemed like they were being targeted more at minicamp than other practices he had seen.

i could see this guy pushing rosario for a roster spot big time if he shows himself to be a better blocker (which shouldn't be that hard).

lol..at there being a PapaJohns.com Bowl.... i like rosario but it just seems he had a decline after that SD game..he has talent

Bye Rosario? Wouldn't it be bye Barnidge instead?

The upside of Barnidge as a pass catcher is much higher than that of Rosario. Blocking as well.

Rosario made a LOT of mistakes last year too. Tons of penalties, and errors. If he doesn't show up with marked improvement, he will be the odd man out.

The upside of Barnidge as a pass catcher is much higher than that of Rosario. Blocking as well.

Rosario made a LOT of mistakes last year too. Tons of penalties, and errors. If he doesn't show up with marked improvement, he will be the odd man out.

Really? Cause I don't recall seeing Barnidge on the field at all except special teams.

Archived