• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pats and Skins tie to state lotteries- should Panthers consider doing the same?

dimbee

A group I work with play the lotto. We are hardly poor.

I have heard the poor man tax for a long time. What about cigs, alcohol?

So let's walk thru this. How affordable is it for a poor person to play the stock market?

They could invest the amount they putinto tixs into the market. He can still lose his initial investment in both.

The chances of him becoming uber rich are greater with the lotto.

I would prefer this "tax" to be like it is right now.OPTIONAL.

I don't think we want food tax to increase and there be yet another increase on something the poor HAS to buy.

If the poor wants to spend what little they have on tixs with the hope of hitting it big, so be it. For some that may be their biggest infusion of hope they have.

As for the Panthers doing this...I would NOT like it unless they take that "extra" revenue and feed the homeless here in Charlotte.

first you made the assumption that we were saying that only poor people played it. wrong. they make up the largest segment of the population who buy them on a consistent basis. considering that they spend a larger part of their disposable income than other economic groups isn't saying that all who purchase them are poor.

also...about them standing a better chance winning the lottery than playing in the stock market...do you freaking realize how tiny the chances are of them winning the lottery? obviously you don't and it's obvious they don't either. the odds of winning the lottery are 1 in 195,249,054. winning the $200,000 is one in 5,138,133.

want to get an idea of how difficult it is? you take a string about 145' long and arrange it in a large circle where the ends meet (just so you know that's 16532 square feet which is about the size of 3.5 basketball courts) and take a grain of sand, throw it in the middle put a blind fold on spin around 3 times walk into the circle and drop a second grain of sand. the odds of you hitting that 1st grain of sand is about as good as your winning the lottery.

you would have to buy 97,624,527 tickets just to have a 50/50 chance of winning. do you realize how ridiculous that is? to get the $200,000 you would have to buy 2,569,066 tickets to have a 50/50 chance of winning.

they are throwing that money away. i won't even touch their spending money on cigs and alcohol.

The only thing is that buying lotto tickets is a conscientious decision made by an individual. If someone feels compelled to buy them due to socio-economic status, that's their decision. Nobody is holding a gun to their head and telling them to buy tickets. They know that the chances of winning the lottery are horrible just like everyone else does...

first you made the assumption that we were saying that only poor people played it. wrong. they make up the largest segment of the population who buy them on a consistent basis. considering that they spend a larger part of their disposable income than other economic groups isn't saying that all who purchase them are poor.

also...about them standing a better chance winning the lottery than playing in the stock market...do you freaking realize how tiny the chances are of them winning the lottery? obviously you don't and it's obvious they don't either. the odds of winning the lottery are 1 in 195,249,054. winning the $200,000 is one in 5,138,133.

want to get an idea of how difficult it is? you take a string about 145' long and arrange it in a large circle where the ends meet (just so you know that's 16532 square feet which is about the size of 3.5 basketball courts) and take a grain of sand, throw it in the middle put a blind fold on spin around 3 times walk into the circle and drop a second grain of sand. the odds of you hitting that 1st grain of sand is about as good as your winning the lottery.

you would have to buy 97,624,527 tickets just to have a 50/50 chance of winning. do you realize how ridiculous that is? to get the $200,000 you would have to buy 2,569,066 tickets to have a 50/50 chance of winning.

they are throwing that money away. i won't even touch their spending money on cigs and alcohol.

dude. im hardly the one who needs a lecture on the stock market.

I said the chances of the POOR getting UBER rich are greater with a lotto ticket than the market all tounge in cheek BUT the point is hitting it big just once instead of over so many years. Quick payoff vs dollar cost avg over the years. Maybe I should have had some emoticons in my post to put up the irony flag or sarasam or hyperbole or farce or..

I put more posts about investing in the huddle than probably any other topic.

Just because someone is poor doesn't mean they are completely brainless either.

Archived