• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Was Hurney Fired?

KBRed

Everyone knows that it was time for Hurney to be gone. But, we have to agree it happened at an odd timing. Why not wait until the end of the season? We can't hire anyone of importance until then. Reports say we already are interested in someone that we can't talk to now. (Saw this here, no link sorry) It wasn't to push the fans in a 'we care' direction. Could there be something else there? Something not football related?

I am speculating, but I don't think it all makes sense. Richardson would've had a plan in place other than letting Rivera take over the GM position. Richardson was too close with Hurney. Yes, you can speculate that he is letting him hang himself, but I think there is more there.

Am I over analyzing, or is it a little off to you?

Umm we've had the worst record since 2008, and the fact Hurney paid over 90 million in backs that are not producing, and the fact we overpaid for a pass-rusher who is not producing? And maybe because we only have one playee starting from the 2011 draft? or the fact we only have three players starting from the 09-11 drafts?

JR was undoubtedly pissed about the 1 and 5 start, and probably would have been ready to fire Rivera had there been someone on staff capable of finishing out the year as an interim. Then to see DWill, with his big contract, run the ball just 2 times...well that was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. JR realized there was a major disconnect between how the FO was building the team and how the coaches were using them. Hurney was the guy that hired Rivera and the guy that built the team, so he became the 1st step in blowing up the FO/coaching staff.

I think JR would still fire RR tomorrow if he thought he could replace him with an effective interim, but that's just not an option right now.

Thought Joe Person's interview w/ Hurney was telling when Hurney said JR asked him after the Dallas loss "How did the Panthers get to 1-5, and what were they going to do to get better?" Hurney said he had a hard time answering that. Enough said.

When the head of football operations can't tell the guy that just spent zillion$$ to be a winner how such a dismal start to the season will improve, it's time for a change. I'm sure it was painful for both, but necessary.

Archived