• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

James Harrison's Child Taken To Hospital After Dog Bite

Kevin Greene

I just heard on NFLN that his girlfriend/baby mamma, whatever, let the dog out. Don't know if her letting the dog out was accidental or purposeful.

What is it with Steeler OLBs and Pit Bulls? (See Porter, Joey)

post-453-133194760847_thumb.jpg

I have two American Pit Bull Terriers, one male and one female. I recently trained the female to stay with my Ducks, Turkeys, Goose and Goat. She watches them and stays with them at all times. The male though, will try to kill them all if you leave him alone with them. I guess all I am saying is if you want a Pit get a female. I do not trust males one bit, they are too hard headed and worthless. I got both mine for the reason they are the toughest dog out there and imagine that is what 95% of people do. I recommend this breed of dog for no one just so they don't get a even more bad name. Most shelters don't even adopt them out they just kill them. People keep them around a couple years and get rid of them or drop them off in the country.

Rottweilers and Pit Bulls are no more aggressive than a lab, in my experience with them. I was 6 or 7 when I had a huge Rotty named Bear. She was the sweetest dog. Never hurt me or anyone else. Very smart and playful. A sibling of mine has had nothing but Pit Bulls for a long time, and none of his were ever vicious, they were just very hyper because he never got them neutered. His two daughters 4/yo and a 2/yo have no problems with them. It's all about how you treat it. if you train a dog to fight, they will. If you train them to be a good dog, they will.

like you man, but i dont consider your time with a Rot as a 6 year old valuable

As one who has had two pit bulls (one of them currently) and a pit bull mix, I can tell you that pit bulls are the best dogs that I have ever had. They are smart, intelligent and obedient, and generally love children if socialized properly. I love pit bulls. That being said, I would never leave one around a small child alone, and would keep an eye on them around bigger children (and even adults).

Both of my pits were the runt of the litter, and my current one did not appear to have a protective bone in her (even to the point where I was skeptical of getting her). Since she was only $60, and the owner assured me that she'd grow into her nature, I said "What the hell."

Well, he was right. She became very territorial, very quickly, and responds like a guard dog is supposed to do with intruders. She had some pups earlier this year, and the neighbor's dog , who would generally phuck with her by barking and growling at her made the mistake and came a little too far into the yard.

I was just chilling on a lazy Saturday afternoon when my son come's rushing in "Dad! Dad! Come quick! Morocca's killing the neighbor's dog." By the time I got out there, Morocca's jaws were locked around the neighbor's dog's neck, and she was doing what pits do. Luckily for my neighbor that I was able to take the my dog, with the neighbor's dog still gripped in her mouth, outside the perimeter of my yard where the zap caused her to let go. I always keep it in the back of my mind that if that had been a child, it would have been a bad scene. To think that when I first got Morocca, I was wondering if she had the true nature of a pit bull. Moreover, because Morocca is an AmStaff, and not the American Pit Bull that more people are familiar with, my neighbor was trying to tell me that Morocca was not full blooded. My neighbor found out that she was not only full blooded, but could be very cold blooded when it came to protecting her own. I've seen her literally stalking strangers walking down my street (crouching, crawling and leaping, just like on TV), just as a show of force...to let people know to beware.

Don't fool yourself with a pit bull. You have to always be cognizant that they can kill under the right (wrong) circumstances. It's in their nature, regardless how you raise them. They are not toys, and are not to be "played" with. It's just plain irresponsible to leave them alone with small children.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/19538321/detail.html

Steelers linebacker James Harrison's toddler son remained at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh with a severe leg wound Friday after being badly bitten by a family dog one day earlier.

WTAE Channel 4 Action News broke the story that Patron, a 4-year-old pit bull, went after 1-year-old James Harrison III in the back yard of his father's Franklin Park home.

"I thought he was kind of just like playing, jumping on him," family friend Lisa Ripi said. "But he started to grab at the baby, and then I saw the blood, and the mom fell on top of him and she was screaming for me to take her baby and the dog was biting her."

Officer Ray Fate, from McKees Rocks-based Triangle Pet Control Services, told Channel 4 Action News that the dog is being kept there and will have to be put down. Harrison does not want the animal back in the house, and a dog that attacked a child cannot be adopted.

Fate described Harrison as a "concerned father. He wanted to get to the hospital. Little aggravated about the dog, mad at the dog."

Ripi told Channel 4 Action News reporter Ari Hait that she was with Harrison's child and the boy's mother, Beth Tibbot, on Thursday afternoon when young James started crying and the dog attacked.

"I picked up the baby from her and ran about 40 yards and dropped him over a fence about two feet, and the dog then went to go for the baby through the fence, which then gave me a moment to get around him, and I picked up the baby and called 911," Ripi said.

James III was rushed to the hospital, and Tibbot spent the night in a hospital with multiple bites, while Ripi required stitches in her leg.

Patron had always been good with James III until the attack happened on Thursday, according to Ripi.

"I feel bad for the dog. He was a great dog, and not in his character," Ripi said.

As one who has had two pit bulls (one of them currently) and a pit bull mix, I can tell you that pit bulls are the best dogs that I have ever had. They are smart, intelligent and obedient, and generally love children if socialized properly. I love pit bulls. That being said, I would never leave one around a small child alone, and would keep an eye on them around bigger children (and even adults).

Both of my pits were the runt of the litter, and my current one did not appear to have a protective bone in her (even to the point where I was skeptical of getting her). Since she was only $60, and the owner assured me that she'd grow into her nature, I said "What the hell."

Well, he was right. She became very territorial, very quickly, and responds like a guard dog is supposed to do with intruders. She had some pups earlier this year, and the neighbor's dog , who would generally phuck with her by barking and growling at her made the mistake and came a little too far into the yard.

I was just chilling on a lazy Saturday afternoon when my son come's rushing in "Dad! Dad! Come quick! Morocca's killing the neighbor's dog." By the time I got out there, Morocca's jaws were locked around the neighbor's dog's neck, and she was doing what pits do. Luckily for my neighbor that I was able to take the my dog, with the neighbor's dog still gripped in her mouth, outside the perimeter of my yard where the zap caused her to let go. I always keep it in the back of my mind that if that had been a child, it would have been a bad scene. To think that when I first got Morocca, I was wondering if she had the true nature of a pit bull. Moreover, because Morocca is an AmStaff, and not the American Pit Bull that more people are familiar with, my neighbor was trying to tell me that Morocca was not full blooded. My neighbor found out that she was not only full blooded, but could be very cold blooded when it came to protecting her own. I've seen her literally stalking strangers walking down my street (crouching, crawling and leaping, just like on TV), just as a show of force...to let people know to beware.

Don't fool yourself with a pit bull. You have to always be cognizant that they can kill under the right (wrong) circumstances. It's in their nature, regardless how you raise them. They are not toys, and are not to be "played" with. It's just plain irresponsible to leave them alone with small children.

I need no more convincing. I'm not wanting to play Russian roulette.

like you man, but i dont consider your time with a Rot as a 6 year old valuable

I do. My point was that as a child I was never once harmed by that dog, no matter what I did to it, whether that be riding on its back or tugging its ears etc. Rot are different than pits though.

Rottweilers and Pit Bulls are no more aggressive than a lab, in my experience with them. I was 6 or 7 when I had a huge Rotty named Bear. She was the sweetest dog. Never hurt me or anyone else. Very smart and playful. A sibling of mine has had nothing but Pit Bulls for a long time, and none of his were ever vicious, they were just very hyper because he never got them neutered. His two daughters 4/yo and a 2/yo have no problems with them. It's all about how you treat it. if you train a dog to fight, they will. If you train them to be a good dog, they will.

In my experience Rottys and dobermans are loving but protective dogs. That's there job and they do it well. Especially with Rottweiler I had he would put himself between us and the person they didn't know. I love the dog and never once did he bite me and I was about 6 when we got him.

I do. My point was that as a child I was never once harmed by that dog, no matter what I did to it, whether that be riding on its back or tugging its ears etc. Rot are different than pits though.

Even the experts will tell you not to leave kids unsupervised with certain breeds (or any breed). I am not saying that a pit will attack kids in it's pack---quite the contrary. Well socialized Pits generally have a superb tolerance for kids and wouldn't hurt them for anything, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't supervise them when playing.

Anything can happen.

In general (not absolute), a pit bull is different from any other dog in that it will fight to the death, and its jaws do in fact "lock" on it's prey (but you can get them apart relatively simply by using a stick to "pry" the mouth open). Unlike other breeds, with many pit bulls you can literally beat the crap out of them, bloody them up, give repeated clubbings with a bat, etc., they are going to keep on coming until they are dead (serious business). A person who doesn't know this should not own a pit bull, especially a game one. At the same time, they are some of the most loyal and obedient dogs that I have ever come across. You must socialize them properly, by establishing whose the boss (and the hierarchy that they live under). You must be firm, up to the challenge, and responsible (by knowing the dog's potential), and carry yourself accordingly. It's unfortunate that Harrison slipped on the job.

Archived