• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

James Harrison's Child Taken To Hospital After Dog Bite

Kevin Greene

My ex-wife had a Rottweiler. Though normally very friendly, if you looked it in the eyes for more than a fleeting glimpse, it would start to become aggressive. It sensed it as a challenge.

My brother had a chow that attacked me because I looked it in the eye after it had gone and killed a rabbit. They lived out in the country and it was clear across the yard (a very big yard) and I called to it. When I called him, he looked me in the eyes and just charged. I thank God for the trampoline in their yard. My leg bled for a full day from just one bite. Would have been more bites if not for the trampoline. I think the dog thought I wanted his rabbit. I didn't know at the time he had a rabbit - he was well over 100 yards away from me.

Before that day, that dog was the sweetest dog.........

My brother had a chow that attacked me because I looked it in the eye after it had gone and killed a rabbit. They lived out in the country and it was clear across the yard (a very big yard) and I called to it. When I called him, he looked me in the eyes and just charged. I thank God for the trampoline in their yard. My leg bled for a full day from just one bite. Would have been more bites if not for the trampoline. I think the dog thought I wanted his rabbit. I didn't know at the time he had a rabbit - he was well over 100 yards away from me.

Before that day, that dog was the sweetest dog.........

all it takes is one moment and that moment usually comes as a huge surprised for all involved. that research that i cited also showed that for most of those dogs involved it was their first sign of violence towards a human.

a very large percentage of those attacks were on children (easy targets for a large dog). most likely these children weren't supervised sufficiently but you have to wonder why they weren't. was it because the owner viewed their dog as usually very friendly and not one that had ever showed signs of aggression before so they were "safe"? there is no such thing as a a safe pit bull unless they are with someone who is trained to handle them (which, i feel very safe in saying, the vast majority of pit bull owners are not).

a collie you have to train to be aggressive. it does not come naturally at all. a pit bull you have to train to not be aggressive. it is the nature of the breeding.

An unidentified neighbor told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette one of the star player's three dogs got loose Thursday and attacked the boy, James III. His age was not immediately available.

So apparently they were confined and one got out. Not a lot to see here, move along...

I still think it's terrible that these animals were trained to be bad ass for the owner's delight, but that they were confined should be some sign of responsibility, somewhat...

all it takes is one moment and that moment usually comes as a huge surprised for all involved. that research that i cited also showed that for most of those dogs involved it was their first sign of violence towards a human.

a very large percentage of those attacks were on children (easy targets for a large dog). most likely these children weren't supervised sufficiently but you have to wonder why they weren't. was it because the owner viewed their dog as usually very friendly and not one that had ever showed signs of aggression before so they were "safe"? there is no such thing as a a safe pit bull unless they are with someone who is trained to handle them (which, i feel very safe in saying, the vast majority of pit bull owners are not).

a collie you have to train to be aggressive. it does not come naturally at all. a pit bull you have to train to not be aggressive. it is the nature of the breeding.

That for me is the point. Dogs traditionally bred for fighting are going to do it sometime some place. I have a friend with a dog that was bred for herding. Damn thing nips at childrens legs just like it does sheep to herd them even though it wasn't trained to herd. It is like raising a wolf or lion from a pup or cub and being surprised if they bite or stalk someone as well. It is inbred in them.

Keeping a pitbull is asking for trouble. They are large naturally aggressive dogs with massive powerful jaws that can seriously harm a child with a single bite. With so many naturally docile dogs out there who are generally good with kids, why take the risk at all. It is plain stupid in my book.

So apparently they were confined and one got out. Not a lot to see here, move along...

I still think it's terrible that these animals were trained to be bad ass for the owner's delight, but that they were confined should be some sign of responsibility, somewhat...

i disagree.

confining a pit bull only makes it more aggressive. what we see as a large yard with plenty of room to run around in, a pitt bull sees a fenced in area that he's confined to.

if it doesn't get outside that "cage" on a regular basis, all hell breaks loose when it does.

most pitt bull horror stories involve the dog "getting out". that's a sign of a neglected pit. when it feels freedom, it's aggressive instincts kick into high gear.

i disagree.

confining a pit bull only makes it more aggressive. what we see as a large yard with plenty of room to run around in, a pitt bull sees a fenced in area that he's confined to.

if it doesn't get outside that "cage" on a regular basis, all hell breaks loose when it does.

So you know that James Harrison didn't regularly let his dogs out to run in the large yard? Wow, how did he have the strength to attack a baby? Truth is none of us know, but you've made up your mind, haven't you? Terrible thing, no doubt, but the real truth is none of us know at this point...

Archived