• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kirwan on Jarrett

HSCBandit07

Jarrett won't take the #2 spot unless Moose gets injured. I don't think Moose has gotten enough credit for how much he helped the running game. Hopefully some of that physicality has rubbed off on Jarrett and he understands his job is a lot more than catching passes.

I don't think he will be changing much, because Goodson already has experience working out of the slot in college. Goings did it here too.

Eh, Goings rarely did it, but not the past 2 years, and I hope he will be more productive than him. Unless Goodson is really good, it will be hard for him to see much pt as a rook.

jarrett was great last year and caught everything that was near him.

his catch against the cardinals was one of the best catches ive seen a panther make.

all he needs are more opportunities, but it's possible 2008 was his "sit in the corner" year after he spent 2007 hitting the clubs.

the guy does catch most everything near him. there were a couple ill-timed drops and misses and if you look at the targets (22) vs. catches (12) he was a bit over 50%

here's the thing, though, he only had one drop. some of the catches that he made were incredible and they very much reminded me of key at his prime. very tough catches made that had him getting hit hard either as he was making the grab or right after the grab and he hung on to that ball.

of those 12 catches that he made over the season (regular and post) 10 were first downs. he only had 4 red zone targets last year and only 2 of them were inside the 10 and none of those were capitalized on. the fact that so many of his catches were first downs lets me believe that he can make those tough catches in tough situation and put in more red zone and scoring opportunities he would be more than able to make those grabs. at 6'4 or 6'5 he's got a big enough body to be a huge threat.

I think Jarrett will me big for us next year. You could see a big change from year 1 to year 2....and he made some nice catches in limited action. I think Moose was a big help and will continue to be one....Smitty is a beast but wasn't the mentor type that a WR like Jarrett needs.

I think Jarrett progressed last year but Spiting time with Hackett hurt him. Also what hurts him is he dose not play ST and Hackett did. This year he will not be splitting and if he dose not come threw he is def another USC bust.

Does anyone remember having a discussion about how few catches a third receiver would get in our system when Ricky Proehl was here. Seems to me he was the primary target on third down due to his ability to find seams and get open as well as hold onto the ball.

If Jarrett wants to see a lot of balls then prove to jake he is money on third down and can get open and separate from the defender. If he does he will get his chances. If he proves he can be the man, Jake will get him the ball alot.

for the record in 2003

smith 88 recps/ 1,110 yards/ 7 TDs

moose 54/837/3

proehl 27/389/4

TEs didn't factor too much into it, they had combined 30 catches/ 314 yards/ 1 TD

between davis/foster/goings/hoover there were 64 catches/ 535 yards / 4 TDs

i thihnk our RBs are going to have to get more to that range as far as TDs are concerned and with goodson it can be like that.

proehl's and moose's numbers i was kind of surprised at. i haven't seen the targets or situational numbers for 2003 in a while but in '04 proehl was targeted 70 times and got 34 recps. i'd imagine that '03 wasn't too off from that.

Does anyone remember having a discussion about how few catches a third receiver would get in our system when Ricky Proehl was here. Seems to me he was the primary target on third down due to his ability to find seams and get open as well as hold onto the ball.

If Jarrett wants to see a lot of balls then prove to jake he is money on third down and can get open and separate from the defender. If he does he will get his chances. If he proves he can be the man, Jake will get him the ball alot.

I was thinking the same thing.

Ricky was money on 3rd downs... or when we needed a quick change up for WR targets to move the ball quick.

I am pretty bored at work... so this might be odd... but, I went thru game by game and broke these stats out on Jarrett from last season (including the playoffs):

Completed passes

1st down catches - 2

2nd down catches - 3

3rd down catches - 6

4th down catches - 1

Total Catches - 12

Catches for first downs - 10

Incomplete passes

1st down misses - 3

2nd down misses - 0

3rd down misses - 7

4th down misses - 0

Total Misses - 10

Games when played and not thrown to - 1 (Chicago)

Considering how long its taking/took him to learn the system, I really don't see how we can put much confidence in him. Sure, he can emerge as a reliable 3rd option, but I just don't see him propelling himself to the next level.

I wonder how many of those misses were bad throws

well, according to the info that i found there was only one dropped pass and every QB is going to have some bad passes because of pressure or whatever put on him and there will always be moments where he throws it and the receiver isn't where he is supposed to be.

smith had a little under 130 targets last year but only 78 recps (which is still pretty good) and only 6 drops.

I don't remember any crucial drops last year from Jarrett, but I do remember him making a few very crucial catches. I like his size and his hands. He does not have blazing speed, but neither does Moose. I think you will see more production this year since he is the clear cut #3. Chances are that Smitty or Moose will miss time at some point. That will be his chance to really shine.

I was thinking the same thing.

Ricky was money on 3rd downs... or when we needed a quick change up for WR targets to move the ball quick.

I am pretty bored at work... so this might be odd... but, I went thru game by game and broke these stats out on Jarrett from last season (including the playoffs):

Completed passes

1st down catches - 2

2nd down catches - 3

3rd down catches - 6

4th down catches - 1

Total Catches - 12

Catches for first downs - 10

Incomplete passes

1st down misses - 3

2nd down misses - 0

3rd down misses - 7

4th down misses - 0

Total Misses - 10

Games when played and not thrown to - 1 (Chicago)

INC's are misleading though because Jarrett is only one part of the equasion..

Archived