• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kirwan on Jarrett

HSCBandit07

blog about teams that expect players to step up instead of drafting needs (or FA pickups)

Carolina Panthers: WR

2009 schedule/analysis | Draft class | Free agency

Pat Kirwan chat

On the Panthers: "It remains to be seen if they can get to the opposing quarterback (besides Julius Peppers). You are now asking Dwayne Jarrett to be a factor in the offense, and that remains to be seen. Love the O-line and running backs. And they're finally under the radar, which is typically when the team plays well." More ...

Dwayne Jarrett doesn't have to be the starter in Carolina's two-receiver sets, but he'd better come through in the three- and four-wideout packages, which can make up more than 50 percent of the snaps in today's NFL. The Panthers were up against the cap all spring. They weren't active in free agency and didn't take a receiver in the draft, even though D.J. Hackett and Mark Jones are no longer on the roster. Jarrett has one start, 16 receptions and zero touchdowns in his NFL career. The Panthers have their fingers crossed that he blossoms this season, to say the least

I don't really see this as the year Jarrett needs to step up as Moose will def be the starter this year, though Jarrett is now our #3 man for sure. Thoughts?

Dwayne Jarrett doesn't have to be the starter in Carolina's two-receiver sets, but he'd better come through in the three- and four-wideout packages, which can make up more than 50 percent of the snaps in today's NFL.

Dwayne Jarrett did just this last year. While I would like to see Jarrett involved more in the offense, it is hard to “break out” when you are on a run-first team which rarely targets a third receiver in the first place. Moose was more than solid as our No. 2 receiver last year.

i think this will be the third time i posted this but still think it's pretty appropriate...

he is still going to be the 3rd option at best.

moose is going to see the field a lot more than jarrett just for his downfield blocking.

providing that jake throws about as much as he did last year (380 attempts in regular season) which, considering the run game we have is probably about right.

smith is going to have about 30-35% of the targets go to him. about 9 targets a game would give him around 145 targets in the regular season. he'll catch about 60% of them so that would be about 87 catches.

moose will probably get no less than 5 targets a game on average (he got just over 6 last year). he caught about 60% of what was thrown his way. say it's going to be 80 targets (compared to 108 this past year...15 in game 1, no smith). 40 catches.

the WR3 (hackett/jarrett) got 47 targets last year...just under 3 targets/game. I can see him, as the lone #3 receiver and having gained confidence in himself and from jake, picking up another target or two per game. give him a generous 60% reception rate that would mean 4.5 targets per game, 72 targets, 43 catches. 12-13 yards a catch....537 yards and maybe a TD or two.

point is...the numbers may not be spectacular but if he can get a bit over 40 recps/500 yards/2 TDs i would consider him to be progressing nicely and has given more reason to be trusted with more the following year.

now will robinson cut into those numbers or will jake spread it out more to the TEs (about 15% targets last year) and RBs (who got about 14%)?

now it appears that they got goodson to come in to play the slot...interesting choice being an RB but considering his skill set and size it makes sense. most likely he will only be seen on 3rd downs but still that takes away some from targets that jarrett might get. robinson is fighting to prove he's more than just a returner (which is good considering the speed that is behind him on that roster), plus it looks like barnidge might be coming into his own so it looks like jarrett is going to have even more competition but he still should have more targets from last year just being active every game instead of every other game.

barring injury to one of the WRs in front of him (please don't let that happen) he won't be getting enough attention to get us excited about him but he still should be incredibly helpful.

I dont think this is the make or break year for Jarrett. But he needs to step up his game. Moose will be number two, but i would like to see Jarrett makes some plays and get about 50 receptions this year. I feel comftable if moose got hurt that jarrett could step in and be good.

We'll have to see about Goodson, I have a hard time believing that Fox would change an offensive players position, tho Goodson may be a solid target out of the backfield on third downs. Jarrett's highlights seemed to all come on third down last year, so I see Jarrett on the field more in those situations than the rookie converted RB to WR Goodson, just doesnt seem to be Fox's style. Jarrett was automatically put to the fourth spot last year when we brought in Moose and DJ, but this year he is slotted to be the #3 off the bat, so he will get more opportunity this year, hopefully he can make the best of those opportunities.

*Subs thread* Jarrett will take Moose number 2 spot midseason.

i seriously doubt that, unless moose has a MAJOR falloff from last season's performance. the man still torches secondaries, he has great ball skills, and he's one of the best blockers in the league.

training camp will say a lot.. but if moose starts versus philly, he'll start the rest of the season.

As long as Jarrett doesn't turn out to be another Keary Colbert I will be happy. Dwayne will never block like Moose, but he could be a perfect fit for Delhomme's method of pop fly throws. He could be a beast in the corner of the endzone.

if he can improve his blocking, that'll be the biggest step up in my eyes.
that was one of the things i remember seeing him do in TC last year that i was impressed with...not that he was good at it but he was improving and evidence of it was seen in a couple pre-season games.

compared to the lazy one that he was in his first year it was a huge improvement.

he has a while before he can get anywhere as good as moose but he can do it and i think we have a year or so before we really need him to step up in that capacity. moose has at least one more year left in him...that gives jarrett plenty of time to learn the non-catching elements of his game. catching has never been his week spot, it was the blocking, route running, and studying needed to become a solid contributor. he's getting that down.

jarrett was great last year and caught everything that was near him.

his catch against the cardinals was one of the best catches ive seen a panther make.

all he needs are more opportunities, but it's possible 2008 was his "sit in the corner" year after he spent 2007 hitting the clubs.

Does anyone remember having a discussion about how few catches a third receiver would get in our system when Ricky Proehl was here. Seems to me he was the primary target on third down due to his ability to find seams and get open as well as hold onto the ball.

If Jarrett wants to see a lot of balls then prove to jake he is money on third down and can get open and separate from the defender. If he does he will get his chances. If he proves he can be the man, Jake will get him the ball alot.

We'll have to see about Goodson, I have a hard time believing that Fox would change an offensive players position, tho Goodson may be a solid target out of the backfield on third downs. Jarrett's highlights seemed to all come on third down last year, so I see Jarrett on the field more in those situations than the rookie converted RB to WR Goodson, just doesnt seem to be Fox's style. Jarrett was automatically put to the fourth spot last year when we brought in Moose and DJ, but this year he is slotted to be the #3 off the bat, so he will get more opportunity this year, hopefully he can make the best of those opportunities.

I don't think he will be changing much, because Goodson already has experience working out of the slot in college. Goings did it here too.

Archived