• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Payton on Delhomme

scpanther22

sounds like the game with us...stuck with him will be interesting to see whos def with new DC comes out on top..

Almost five months have gone by since the Saints tied a ribbon to an 8-8 season, and in one way, one thing remains the same.

Ask Sean Payton to name his biggest disappointment about 2008, and it's the four games "we let get away."

At the end.

A play here, a play there.

When the head coach talked a day after one of those games, a season-ending 33-31 loss to the Carolina Panthers in the Superdome, one play was less than 24 hours old.

As Payton put it, it was one of those plays "made above our head that we were not able to make."

What made it painful is the play came after the Saints had come alive in the fourth quarter after falling behind 30-10, then taking a 31-30 lead with three minute remaining. It came when receiver Steve Smith of the Panthers, sandwiched between defensive backs Roman Harper and Jason David, came up with the football, a 39-yard pickup that sent the Panthers on their way to a winning 42-yard field goal by John Kasay.

The pass thrown by Jake Delhomme was anything but a strike. It was one of those "it's anybody's ball" lobs that Smith turned into the biggest play of the game.

"The ball seemed to be in the air three or four seconds, " Payton said the day after, "and we couldn't intercept it or knock it down. We have to decide, are we doing the right thing, and are we doing it with the right players?"

In that game, the defense gave up completions of 54, 39, 30 and 28 yards. But it would not be stretching the point to suggest the 39-yard grab Smith took away from two Saints was the kind of play that probably loomed largest in Payton's decision to make a change at defensive coordinator.

When the question was put to the head coach Thursday -- "What impresses you most about Gregg Williams?" -- the first words out of the mouth of the head coach was "he's a leader."

As he watches the defense "flying around" -- giving you the feeling "there is no gray area" when it comes to claiming loose balls, it's more "the ball belongs to me" -- Payton expects Williams' traits as a leader to translate into turnovers.

What did he see in that December loss to Carolina?

Payton said he saw Delhomme "take one hitch, two hitches, three hitches, and he was back there for an inordinate amount of time."

Now he's looking for a coordinator's leadership, more than schemes, to change an inconsistent pass rush.

What does linebacker Scott Fujita see in the new coordinator?

"Coach Williams is someone intent on getting you to maximize your talent, " he said. "It's more than Xs and Os. It's a matter of creating a new culture."

What about cornerback Randall Gay, the one-time New England Patriot?

"He wants you to have the mind-set that you can win every play, " Gay said. "His goal is to get you obsessed with the can-do attitude, that nothing's impossible if you believe in yourself. He wants you to go out there with the idea you not only can win every play, but you can take the ball away on every play. It's fun seeing the guys out there trying to do just that. The message seems to be there are only so many schemes you can run to do the job. It's how aggressively you run them. That's the bottom line."

Safety Roman Harper, a second-round pick in 2006, has been impressed with "the presence" of the new coordinator, how he sometimes gets his "message across in a loud voice, " how his mind-set is consistently one of "on the attack."

It's a defensive mind-set Drew Brees, the first quarterback in NFL history to throw for 5,069 yards and play on an 8-8 ballclub, has watched from across the line, one the quarterback describes as "we're coming after you."

"For me, in a way, " he said, "every day is a game for me. I love it. It's great for the offense. We don't have the pads on, but the way the guys are flying around, it's like a padded practice."

does the flying to the ball sound familiar?....lol

http://blog.nola.com/finney/2009/05/gregg_williams_leaves_no_doubt.html

So how is that a Peyton on Delhomme discussion? He is talking about Gregg Williams. Of course he is going to paint the picture he did. It was sour grapes because they lost at the end. We could have printed an article about how we let Brees and NO get back in the game after having them soundly beat.

Smitty make that same play to win at least 4 games last year, sometimes that isn't luck or a desperation play but a planned high percentage pass. How many times in the playoffs did Warner loft one up to Fitzgerald to go get. I guess he was throwing wounded ducks also.

You Jake bashers amuse me. You can turn any article into a Jake bashing session instead of complimenting Smitty's leaping ability or the O lines ability to give Jake protection.

i didn't see it as a jake bashing session or that it was intended that way. i don't know the intent of the OP but i just saw it as a coach looking back on the type of big plays that killed them last year and jake's lobs to smitty, which we have had a lot of success with because jake knows to trust smith and smith wants the ball more than anyone, was one of the ones that really hurt them.

personally their move to get williams was incredibly smart. they have had problems with defense in a big way for a good while and williams was one of the best choices that they could have made.

i don't see the bucs as being a real threat in the league for a while but i wanted the NFCS to keep the amount of respect that it garnered last year when there was so much talk that we could have 3 teams in the playoffs. i would still like that to happen (mainly just to shove it in the NFCE and big media's faces. since the bucs are heading down the toilet it would be good for the saints to come out stronger on both sides.

i still think we have an edge over them so i'm not too worried. we both had significant upgrades as far as DCs but we have more to work with talent-wise. i would put our offenses on pretty equal billing as far as potency...they just put more through the air and we keep it on the ground but at the end of the day they are among the elite at what they do.

i still think we have an edge over them so i'm not too worried. we both had significant upgrades as far as DCs but we have more to work with talent-wise. i would put our offenses on pretty equal billing as far as potency...they just put more through the air and we keep it on the ground but at the end of the day they are among the elite at what they do.

Well said. The Saints offense is much more glamorous, but I would agree that ours is just as if not more effective. And you are absolutely right that we have more talent to work with on defense. I think the South will be tough again next year.

Why does someone have to be a "Jake basher" for stating an NFL coach's analysis of a play that happens to be spot on. Just because there are points of contention about Jake based in reality, and people fall on either side of the equation does not necessarily mean that someone is bashing Jake or hugging Jake's junk.

Now, of course I try to be objective, but probably swing more towards the left (admittedly), but it seems to me that the Jake is Jesus crowd is a bit over sensitive and more irrational than the Jake bashers. Then, you have the guys in the Jake is our best option crowd that sway with the palm trees in the wind.

I am with rayz, in the fact that the entirety of this article is not really about Jake bashing when taken into context, but I do believe that P55 is correct in that certain parts of the article may have been taken out of context in a veiled attempt to point out Jake's shortcomings. If I were the OP, I would have quoted the bold parts and been real with it, but that does not mean that I don't agree with the OP's intent.

So how is that a Peyton on Delhomme discussion? He is talking about Gregg Williams. Of course he is going to paint the picture he did. It was sour grapes because they lost at the end. We could have printed an article about how we let Brees and NO get back in the game after having them soundly beat.

Smitty make that same play to win at least 4 games last year, sometimes that isn't luck or a desperation play but a planned high percentage pass. How many times in the playoffs did Warner loft one up to Fitzgerald to go get. I guess he was throwing wounded ducks also.

You Jake bashers amuse me. You can turn any article into a Jake bashing session instead of complimenting Smitty's leaping ability or the O lines ability to give Jake protection.

who said it was a discussion...and who was jake dashing..

Why does someone have to be a "Jake basher" for stating an NFL coach's analysis of a play that happens to be spot on. Just because there are points of contention about Jake based in reality, and people fall on either side of the equation does not necessarily mean that someone is bashing Jake or hugging Jake's junk.

Now, of course I try to be objective, but probably swing more towards the left (admittedly), but it seems to me that the Jake is Jesus crowd is a bit over sensitive and more irrational than the Jake bashers. Then, you have the guys in the Jake is our best option crowd that sway with the palm trees in the wind.

I am with rayz, in the fact that the entirety of this article is not really about Jake bashing when taken into context, but I do believe that P55 is correct in that certain parts of the article may have been taken out of context in a veiled attempt to point out Jake's shortcomings. If I were the OP, I would have quoted the bold parts and been real with it, but that does not mean that I don't agree with the OP's intent.

Your right, I was referring to the bolded parts and the title of the thread. The article was about Williams and not Delhomme and was a result of Payton's frustration with the secondary. Truth is that Smitty did that to a lot of players including Charles Woodson for Green Bay.

I just believe that throwng it up to Smitty was a designed play just like Warner throwing it up to Fitzgerald. How many of those passes were intercepted last year? Why wouldn't you do that at the end of the game? What people suggest is Jake getting lucky is in my mind a very smart play. I hope he does a ton more of it this year as well. Until teams stop it, why wouldn't you do it more??

Your right, I was referring to the bolded parts and the title of the thread. The article was about Williams and not Delhomme and was a result of Payton's frustration with the secondary. Truth is that Smitty did that to a lot of players including Charles Woodson for Green Bay.

I just believe that throwng it up to Smitty was a designed play just like Warner throwing it up to Fitzgerald. How many of those passes were intercepted last year? Why wouldn't you do that at the end of the game? What people suggest is Jake getting lucky is in my mind a very smart play. I hope he does a ton more of it this year as well. Until teams stop it, why wouldn't you do it more??

well this is a carolina panthers fourm so i bolded the part that had to do with...the panthers.. if you read my OP i say if will be interesting to see who comes out on top with both new DC...where did you get jake bashing out of any of that...

well this is a carolina panthers fourm so i bolded the part that had to do with...the panthers.. if you read my OP i say if will be interesting to see who comes out on top with both new DC...where did you get jake bashing out of any of that...

If you had not criticized Jake routinely up to this point in other threads, it could be as you say. But seriously, I am not dense, you routinely bash him on other threads and this is just more of the same no matter how you spin it now.

I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.:D

If you had not criticized Jake routinely up to this point in other threads, it could be as you say. But seriously, I am not dense, you routinely bash him on other threads and this is just more of the same no matter how you spin it now.

I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.:D

i dont criticize jake.. rountinely...i tell like it t.i.is...lol

i am not on jakes sack...:cheers2:

but i still dont see were i bashed jake at all...:toetap05:

i dont criticize jake.. rountinely...i tell like it t.i.is...lol

i am not on jakes sack...:cheers2:

but i still dont see were i bashed jake at all...:toetap05:

You say tomato I say tomatoe.

I think I tell it like it is as well and even have stats to back my opinion up.

Maybe you didn't intend it so I will gladly give you the benefit of the doubt.

Who are these "Jake is Jesus" people you're referring to?

i didn't see it as a jake bashing session or that it was intended that way. i don't know the intent of the OP but i just saw it as a coach looking back on the type of big plays that killed them last year and jake's lobs to smitty, which we have had a lot of success with because jake knows to trust smith and smith wants the ball more than anyone, was one of the ones that really hurt them.

personally their move to get williams was incredibly smart. they have had problems with defense in a big way for a good while and williams was one of the best choices that they could have made.

i don't see the bucs as being a real threat in the league for a while but i wanted the NFCS to keep the amount of respect that it garnered last year when there was so much talk that we could have 3 teams in the playoffs. i would still like that to happen (mainly just to shove it in the NFCE and big media's faces. since the bucs are heading down the toilet it would be good for the saints to come out stronger on both sides.

Im not sold on Williams. Del Rio saw no need to keep him around last year and for good reason. There Defense was just as bad as ours last year. Given it is a upgrade for the saints but if Meeks can do with us what he did with the colts then we should be back to top 10 this year.

It's amazing that people criticize these plays when they work with alarming regularity. All that matters is that you make the play and win the game. You don't get bonus points for throwing a perfect spiral.

Also, I've seen people call these plays luck or say they are a fluke. How many of these plays do you need before they aren't luck anymore? Hell, they had two of these in a single game vs. Green Bay. I guess our guys are eating their Lucky Charms, huh? If I see Smitty at the 7-11 I'm gonna ask him to buy me some lottery tickets. He is one lucky motherf-cker.

Archived