• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Re-Watching Old Panther Games......

AKPantherFan

He let it go already. You should too.

Not really-- I think it will go down of one of Fox's biggest mistakes if he cant win the big one.

Williams will be around for a long while, Fox, maybe not.

Benching the kid in his 1st 2 years as much as he did will be considered a blunder years from now.

Williams always showed speed, shiftiness, and heart. The only thing he wasn't shown until last season was the playing time he needed......

I guess people forget that when Williams came to us as a rookie it was said that he needed some time to recover from all the pounding he received in college. I also remember he was hurt and missed a few games. Seems they wanted to ease him into the system and work him into the rotation while helping him learn the protections. Plus Williams always wanted to break it outside and didn't run well between the tackles.

The next year he did get more work and through out the year went from a backup to more of the featured guy. If anyone remembers he was the guy running off the field wanting to get spelled after a few plays due to poor conditioning. Testeverde mentioned that and had some talks with him about his poor work ethic. But he did enough to justify folks cutting Foster and relying on him to be the starter. But even without Foster the jury wasn't totally convinced because we brought in Stewart. It was only after Williams came back with a changed attitude and new resolve to be the main dude did he cement his role as the man. Don't you guys remember how those of us going to camp talked about how different Williams was and how much faster and harder runner he was compared to years past.

Sure Fox could have used him more but it wasn't that we misused him as much as he matured and developed into a stud as he figured it out and developed mentally more than physically.

For those that still don't get it...if you can't pass protect, you won't be the starting RB on most NFL teams. This is not just a John Fox philosophy, this is something that has been going on in the NFL since long before most Huddlers were even born. Williams himself admitted that it took him a while to really learn how to do that. Panthers55 has already explained the rest.

its funny how fast people forget. thats like saying that smith should have started from day 1

I guess people forget that when Williams came to us as a rookie it was said that he needed some time to recover from all the pounding he received in college. I also remember he was hurt and missed a few games. Seems they wanted to ease him into the system and work him into the rotation while helping him learn the protections. Plus Williams always wanted to break it outside and didn't run well between the tackles.

The next year he did get more work and through out the year went from a backup to more of the featured guy. If anyone remembers he was the guy running off the field wanting to get spelled after a few plays due to poor conditioning. Testeverde mentioned that and had some talks with him about his poor work ethic. But he did enough to justify folks cutting Foster and relying on him to be the starter. But even without Foster the jury wasn't totally convinced because we brought in Stewart. It was only after Williams came back with a changed attitude and new resolve to be the main dude did he cement his role as the man. Don't you guys remember how those of us going to camp talked about how different Williams was and how much faster and harder runner he was compared to years past.

Sure Fox could have used him more but it wasn't that we misused him as much as he matured and developed into a stud as he figured it out and developed mentally more than physically.

Not really-- I think it will go down of one of Fox's biggest mistakes if he cant win the big one.

Williams will be around for a long while, Fox, maybe not.

Benching the kid in his 1st 2 years as much as he did will be considered a blunder years from now.

Williams always showed speed, shiftiness, and heart. The only thing he wasn't shown until last season was the playing time he needed......

I like to look on the bright side. Stewart is just as good as Williams is now and he can improve. Fox let them split carry's last year and didn't give Williams the bulk like he did Foster. Both our backs are gonna be starts in this league and I hope we can keep both. I think we have the second coming of LT and Turner.

I like to look on the bright side. Stewart is just as good as Williams is now and he can improve. Fox let them split carry's last year and didn't give Williams the bulk like he did Foster. Both our backs are gonna be starts in this league and I hope we can keep both. I think we have the second coming of LT and Turner.

They could be better than LT and Turner.

Sometimes these things work out in your favor, sometimes they don't. I know alot of people wanted to bench DWill in favor of Stewart after the first 4 games in '08. Just sayin...

i don't think anyone was ready to right him off that early in the season.

i'll admit, i was ready to drop him from a few fantasy teams at the bye, but held on because i had a feeling the run game would explode after that. up to the bye, williams wasn't doing much better than stewart. they had the same ypc and stewart had more touchdowns.

people scream about williams being robbed of a pro bowl appearance, but when voting began around mid october, williams had 2 TDs and roughly 350-400 yards.

he started off VERY slow last season.

Archived