• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers drafted no significant contributors

ncbobcat

After reading through all of this, I'll have to go back to Mr Scott's post. After the last few years I've learned let the plan play out. I didn't understand the Kalil pick.... Now I do, I didn't understand the Marshall pick.... Now I do... I didn't understand the Stewart pick, still debating it in my head, but I'm sure it'll play out. I think this year’s draft class could be the same.

Immediate impact players are destined for a team with "needs" Like Scott said the Panthers aren't one of those teams right now. I'm not convinced they take the "BPA" but they do seem to be drafting for the future.

Like all of the other "Jake Haters" I wish they'd take a franchise QB......... But I have to admit if nothing else Jake has bought them time to build up a solid as hell base. 21 of 22 off of a 12-4 year with prospects in the wing is about as good as I could ask for.

My .02 on our draft strategy:

While we didn't have any emergency needs, when Brown dropped into the forties, Meeks went into hyperdrive to convince Hurney/Fox that he could turn him into the next Mathis/Freeny. With the Peppers situation it made perfect sense to attempt to find a trading partner. However, WHY didn't we use our 2nd/3rd to trade up (almost an exact draft chart match). Instead "Whimpy" (I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today) Hurney decided to trade our next year's #1 pick again. My guess is that they had already identified Martin as their HAD TO HAVE pick. We now have 3 of the top 5 TEs in our division and we are going to have to have someone who is big and fast to run with them down the middle of the field. Between Beason, Godfrey and now Martin, we will be in pretty good shape. Additionally, With our cap pressure we can't be assured of being able to sign Robertson etc. for out DT rotation, so they probably felt they had to save their 3rd for this purpose. Irvin certainly wasn't the BPA, but hopefully he's good enough to give us help keep the starters fresh.

well...i think it may have been the fact the 49ers..prob were going to take brown themselves..they needed a OLB who could rush..the passer...we prob had it to make it worth it to not draft him..

Archived