• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers drafted no significant contributors

ncbobcat

The rep glitch is back. Holy crap Mintal!

I'm awesome, what can I say? Everybody loves me. I just gave 55 a single rep and he went from 3 to 29, I've got the power! Bring on the trolls, I'll blast them with neg rep and make them explode in their chairs...

...crap... :lol:

Well, you know this is the time for optimism like I said. If you're negative at this time of year, then IMO there's no need to continue into the season, but to each his own. No problem... :cheers2:
pretty much.

btw...not content with the way things ended at all and i didn't like the status quo.

status quo was trgocrap and the rest of the defensive staff. we have a huge upgrade there. defense wasn't being run well, the scheme was bad and it didn't work around the strengths of the players. we have that now. we will have better coaching (ask the guys who were at minicamp and ask them how different it was from what past coaches have done). defense is improved dramatically because the weakest link is gone. we needed help at DT, we got a good fast one which is what Meeks and Fox want. We needed help at CB, we got it...a good size body with good coverage skills who is fast and hits hard. he was a good safety and will be good playing the nickel in a zone. we needed a good pass rushing DE to fill in for when pep is gone and we got it. big time first round talent. he was a steal there, especially the way that meeks is going to use him. problems on the defense has been addressed in significant ways and things are as set as they can be. biggest thing though...trgo is gone. let us give thanks. i and many others have been praying for years for that to happen and i don't care how it did as long as it did. players on defense wasn't as much a problem as was the coaching.

status quo was a QB coach who's form of QB workout was essentially throwing a ball into a bucket. we have someone who can develop QBs and is a huge upgrade there. we weren't going to get someone in the draft that would replace jake. we weren't going to get anyone in FA that was going to replace jake. the best thing that could have happened is a coach willing to treat him like a rookie and give him the coaching he should have had all along. jake's play should be and will be better.

we drafted solid players for years to come. we have a better scouting department. they are making better decisions. we have every reason that what happened this offseason is very positive on different levels and should give us a lot of confidence about the team this coming year and in years to come. the fact is that we have that confidence in the team and are not only looking towards the next year but anticipating a good year and that isn't going to change because some joke journalist wrote some article about immediate impact players and neglected to mention us. who cares other than you who are using it to justify some feeling that you have that the panthers are going to suck because they had a good year last year.

you may want to look at us being blind homers but you are just as or moreso blind and closed minded if you think that the panthers are doomed to fail next year because they haven't had 2 winning seasons back to back.

THAT is true closed mindedness and i think you for showing us what blindness really is.

i sure am glad i don't have to go into this season feeling the dread that these sad people are who think that the panthers are going to fail. makes being a fan a lot more fun.

pretty much.

btw...not content with the way things ended at all and i didn't like the status quo.

status quo was trgocrap and the rest of the defensive staff. we have a huge upgrade there. defense wasn't being run well, the scheme was bad and it didn't work around the strengths of the players. we have that now. we will have better coaching (ask the guys who were at minicamp and ask them how different it was from what past coaches have done). defense is improved dramatically because the weakest link is gone. we needed help at DT, we got a good fast one which is what Meeks and Fox want. We needed help at CB, we got it...a good size body with good coverage skills who is fast and hits hard. he was a good safety and will be good playing the nickel in a zone. we needed a good pass rushing DE to fill in for when pep is gone and we got it. big time first round talent. he was a steal there, especially the way that meeks is going to use him. problems on the defense has been addressed in significant ways and things are as set as they can be. biggest thing though...trgo is gone. let us give thanks. i and many others have been praying for years for that to happen and i don't care how it did as long as it did. players on defense wasn't as much a problem as was the coaching.

status quo was a QB coach who's form of QB workout was essentially throwing a ball into a bucket. we have someone who can develop QBs and is a huge upgrade there. we weren't going to get someone in the draft that would replace jake. we weren't going to get anyone in FA that was going to replace jake. the best thing that could have happened is a coach willing to treat him like a rookie and give him the coaching he should have had all along. jake's play should be and will be better.

we drafted solid players for years to come. we have a better scouting department. they are making better decisions. we have every reason that what happened this offseason is very positive on different levels and should give us a lot of confidence about the team this coming year and in years to come. the fact is that we have that confidence in the team and are not only looking towards the next year but anticipating a good year and that isn't going to change because some joke journalist wrote some article about immediate impact players and neglected to mention us. who cares other than you who are using it to justify some feeling that you have that the panthers are going to suck because they had a good year last year.

you may want to look at us being blind homers but you are just as or moreso blind and closed minded if you think that the panthers are doomed to fail next year because they haven't had 2 winning seasons back to back.

THAT is true closed mindedness and i think you for showing us what blindness really is.

i sure am glad i don't have to go into this season feeling the dread that these sad people are who think that the panthers are going to fail. makes being a fan a lot more fun.

Completely agree and QFT

pretty much.

Can't disagree with anything here...

According to this article by Sportsline, the Panthers drafted no signifcant immediate impact players from rounds 2-7. I tend to agree, but even Brown wasn't mentioned. That much surprised me. Draftees were ranked as immediate starters or significant contributors in this 2009 rookie year.

What do you all think? Did the Panthers draft all reserve/role players that will have no serious impact this season? I can't hardly argue, except with Brown.

Is there a player you think will unseat a starter or see ample playing time as a rookie...save special teams.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11768588

Maybe most of us don't think the article is worth debating. And it seems you like to argue\debate useless information from a weak article.

That article is ridiculous. Every team has it's own needs and this article takes a look a drafted player and not at a drafted player for the teams need at that specific time. Our draft picks should be impact players for us when the time is right. If our scouts and coaches are right, then we did what we had to do in the draft to improve our team next year.

I agree this team can be very good. I just so happen to believe it can be even better.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions, I just didn't think the thread would be so one sided. I expected most to think the status quo was fine, but not everyone. I did look up the poll on the draft grades for this forum and most people did give the draft a 'B' with several 'As' thrown in there. I guess that is why I am meeting so much resistance about the impact (or potentially lack of) our rookie class.

NCBOBCAT = pessimism.jpg

Im soo tired about hearing about peoples crappy power rankings and saying we didnt draft what we needed. We did exactly that and if Brown turns out even a mediocre season we will notice a huge difference with how well our D improves. My only question mark about the D is Marshall but I think he knows this is his big chance and he wont disappoint. I think we are very posed to make a super bowl run, we dont need a great qb to get there. The ravens went with Trent Dilfer and Jake is much better.

My .02 on our draft strategy:

While we didn't have any emergency needs, when Brown dropped into the forties, Meeks went into hyperdrive to convince Hurney/Fox that he could turn him into the next Mathis/Freeny. With the Peppers situation it made perfect sense to attempt to find a trading partner. However, WHY didn't we use our 2nd/3rd to trade up (almost an exact draft chart match). Instead "Whimpy" (I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today) Hurney decided to trade our next year's #1 pick again. My guess is that they had already identified Martin as their HAD TO HAVE pick. We now have 3 of the top 5 TEs in our division and we are going to have to have someone who is big and fast to run with them down the middle of the field. Between Beason, Godfrey and now Martin, we will be in pretty good shape. Additionally, With our cap pressure we can't be assured of being able to sign Robertson etc. for out DT rotation, so they probably felt they had to save their 3rd for this purpose. Irvin certainly wasn't the BPA, but hopefully he's good enough to give us help keep the starters fresh.

According to this article by Sportsline, the Panthers drafted no signifcant immediate impact players from rounds 2-7.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11768588

The article focused on rookie starters, not "significant impact players", and proceeded to project rookie starters. This is an important distinction, but overall I'll have to agree with the "status quo" here that wonders how draft picks can be evaluated before training camp and final cuts are made. The article is just an off season filler piece on the draft, IMO, that uses hindsight to sound authoritative. As far as worrying about the choices made in the draft and proposing something different, that's fine, but the front office has made their selections under the gun and I'm content to hope for the best with their decisions.

Having said that, the amount of returning starters on this team is a significant stat.

There are two ways to look at this:

1) The team is aging and there will be a decline in performance in the coming years.

2) The team is maturing and their potential has not been reached yet.

I agree wholeheartedly with option 2. We have some older players who don't have much time left, but there are some hungry youngsters who could be anchors of this team for years to come. Looking back on last year, the critics bashed our trade up for Otah, and Stewart could have started for more than a handful of teams last year. (Denver went through at least 8 RB's last year)

Returning 21 of 22 starters shouldn't mean that we need to draft kids to compete for starting positions when the team hasn't reached it's potential yet. (We had zero first round picks) I'm excited to see what can happen with new coaching and an exciting 2nd round draft pick that has impact potential. Brown was a great gamble, and all draft picks are gambles.

i know everyone is freaked out about trading our first next year, but I think it makes sense.

the draft is so talent intense that they'll easily find 09 first round talent in the 2010 later rounds.

Archived