• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

E60 - Steve Smith (Full Length Video)

Tarheels23

I've been disappointed some with Steve this season, but he is still one of the all time greats.

Some of you are upset about the heavy coverage of the fights he's had, but it is highly relevant in his career. That pause speaks volumes, he clearly has his regrets. I haven't met Steve unfortunately, though I can tell the type of man he is by his passion for the game and most importantly his family.

It is a damn shame these last years with Smitty are being wasted by inept coaching and management.

He's not having a good year so far, but #89 is still the greatest Panther of all time. Nobody's given more to our franchise on the field of play than him. Stevonne L. Smith. Thats our guy. He's the one player from 2001-2011 you knew every Sunday he was gonna bring it. You knew he was gonna show up for work, you knew he was gonna make a play,. And you knew when he got in the end zone you were gonna see something special that would get you geeked up about Panther football. All of our biggest moments in our short history, he was right there. I still say erect a bronze statue of Smitty on Graham. Let our kids generations from now see it, touch it, take pictures in front of it and understand how this young man defined a pivotal decade in our history.

Even when he's done here, I'll still continue to rock his jerseys proudly, I still got his plaques up on the wall. He's one of my favorite athletes, up there with LeBron, Bonds, Jordan and them.

I know people are going to not like this but fug it.

Steve Smith is right up there with Sam Mills for who he is and what he means to this team. I'm with KT on this, put a statue up to him the moment he decides he is done with the game.

For me when he reeled in that pass from Matt Moore in the Meadowlands in 09 and took the shot that broke his arm and STILL held on to the ball and got it across the line...

That sums up him passion and drive and toughness all in one moment.

The man won my heart and respect many years ago when I got a chance to spend some time with him at a charity event and Ive been one of his biggest fans ever since.

and to think many Panther "fans" want Steve Smith gone?? People make mistakes and much worse has happened in the NFL, I still find it hard to believe that people are hung up on incidents that happened 4 years ago. You look up the word Passion and his picture is listed next to it, until someone can prove to me otherwise, he is the greatest Panther ever. Period.

*To the person who asked where his emotional issues derive from - try growing up on the streets in South Central LA, without a father much-less, then come back and talk...

Unbelievable that they would waste over half of the video of this mans illustrious career on negativity! Not one mention of him paying for pro bowl tickets for team mates and their families...

This was a pooty ass video if I've ever seen one!

Keep doing what you're doing Smitty... Off the field you are a role model... On the field you are a Beast, and you will break out come Sunday!

E60 is an investigative series that typically underlines someone's road to redemption, not a series that just highlights his/her career achievements.

I think it's a fine piece (better than most ESPN "journalism") that challenges his emotional issues, how he has learned/overcome them, then finishes with what fulfills him in life ... helping people.

Most people are still searching for their stride in life even at the age of 32 ... much like him. Give the dude a break people.

I have some much love for the guy. I met him shortly after the Super Bowl lost( weeks after). To be honest, I didn't know what type of person he would be. He was and is a great guy also funny. We all make mistakes in life whether its broadcast or not. We just have to learn and grow. He is the most intense player to ever put in a panther jersey. Hopefully I will get to actually see him play in a live game before he retires. Sadly due to unsaid issues, I have yet to see a live panther game. Hands down my favorite player Go panthers!

Someday you may come to bleed through strife and hard work or otherwise only to have some ungrateful person spit in your face and belittle you . . possibly in front of your peers. . . if you do, you may understand a thousandth of what Smith was going through.

You cant change what you were born with, you play the hand youre dealt. For 89, that includes an explosive temper that was grown over decades of ridicule . . .and yet he keeps still proving idiots like you wrong.

Ever the boss, ever the servant. . thank you 89, for everything you do and every emotion you inspire.

Yeah....that doesn't justify what Smith has done.

He isn't proving anything. He consistantly repeats the same type behaviors over and over. Actions > words.

I got no serious beef with Smitty. It is simpy fair to say he brings a certain set of issues to the table you have to work around them and deal with.

Lots of people, non professional athletes have overcome, similar and worse scenario than Smith came from......his actions don't deserve the excuses some create. Wrong is just wrong. He is often wrong and his pleasant words too often conflict with his actions.

Smith acknowledges many of his own teammate have said enough is enough. No more chances for a repeat offender who isn't proving anyone wrong since he repeats his issues over and over.

Great WR. Best in our history. Dude has issues though. It ain't hating on a guy to acknowledge such a big issue. What is idiotic is calling people idiots.....for saying a guy who has punched out 3 freaking teammates and as recent as the last game showed a lack of control has "issues".

Great WR. Best in our history. Dude has issues though. It ain't hating on a guy to acknowledge such a big issue. What is idiotic is calling people idiots.....for saying a guy who has punched out 3 freaking teammates and as recent as the last game showed a lack of control has "issues".

He's overly competitive. Thats about it. Its ridiculous to think there is anything more to it and is only being stated in an effort to fabricate an argument. You feel you can "fill in a void" that being a Panther fan creates("homerism") by saying Smith has issues etc. This, you feel, gives you a step above your fellow fans in terms of how much validity your argument holds. There always seems to be that one individual whose opinions swing wildly from his/her chosen group and its always the same scenario. State a known controversial opinion in order to appear more knowledgeable. It happens all the time and every time it gets easier and easier to see through. Im not saying what Steve has done in his past was justified, but im not saying it wasn't either. We weren't in those situations, we dont know what was said.

Steve's "issues" arise from inside the NFL, inside an overly masculine culture that celebrates "toughness" and societies definition of "manliness". Steve was acting the way he should within a culture that has been built upon a false definition of masculinity. Its why you do not see him having trouble outside of the NFL. His name doesnt keep popping up in a police blotter and why he takes full part in a charity the likes he's in and it's why your argument is a complete and utter sham. Steve has no "issues", he's a product of the NFL and its destructive culture.

He's overly competitive. Thats about it. Its ridiculous to think there is anything more to it and is only being stated in an effort to fabricate an argument. You feel you can "fill in a void" that being a Panther fan creates("homerism") by saying Smith has issues etc. This, you feel, gives you a step above your fellow fans in terms of how much validity your argument holds. There always seems to be that one individual whose opinions swing wildly from his/her chosen group and its always the same scenario. State a known controversial opinion in order to appear more knowledgeable. It happens all the time and every time it gets easier and easier to see through. Im not saying what Steve has done in his past was justified, but im not saying it wasn't either. We weren't in those situations, we dont know what was said.

Steve's "issues" arise from inside the NFL, inside an overly masculine culture that celebrates "toughness" and societies definition of "manliness". Steve was acting the way he should within a culture that has been built upon a false definition of masculinity. Its why you do not see him having trouble outside of the NFL. His name doesnt keep popping up in a police blotter and why he takes full part in a charity the likes he's in and it's why your argument is a complete and utter sham. Steve has no "issues", he's a product of the NFL and its destructive culture.

You are defending the indefensible. Simple and plain.

Smith himself said last night that Carolina Panthers are no longer willing to forgive and forget. So save the bull.

Comical to say Smitty was "acting the way he should" in regards to 3 seperate incidents of attacking teammates off a football field and not even in the midst of a play.

Football is a sport. It is fun to watch. They still live in reality....you don't have a license to go full retard. Dorm room, film room and sideline sucker punches......he was wrong. You should leave it at that. Defending stupid behavior and trying to justify is silly. No one is claiming he is the devil.

Archived