• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Things to come? Richard Marshall

HSCBandit07

I think we will see a lot more of 2:14 for sure.

i expect a lot of that 2:14 action going on. i wouldn't mind what happens at :58 either, i don't care who is on the receiving end of it, though.

we need to be seeing more of those INTs happening.

One of the questions lingering in my mind since minicamp is what the relationship between Richard Marshall and Ron Meeks will be like.

At one point between drills when the defense was changing fields, Meeks was heard yelling out "Where's Richard Marshall? Where's Richard Marshall? Is he running?"

On the surface, that makes it sound like Meeks has some questions about Marshall's work ethic. As Jon Beason has mentioned, Meeks demands players who fly around at full speed all the time. I'd add that since Meeks background is as a DB coach, you can expect he'll pay a fair share of attention to the secondary.

If Marshall responds properly to coaching, no issue (just the opposite, really). Comments made by Marshall in recent articles make it sound likely he'll be up to the task, but for now it remains to be seen.

Will likely be something to watch in training camp.

That tackle at 2:14 is what Marshall was great at, prior to the last season. In 07-08, he made so many quality tackles like that on running plays to the outside, on hitch patterns and deflections on quick outs when playing up by the line of scrimmage. He was a great tackler during 07-08, and I think the fundamentals are still there. He's always missed some because he usually goes all out for the tackle. This style fits perfectly with Meeks, who like you guys have mentioned, wants players that will be aggressive and if they're going to miss a tackle, miss it going full speed. That's Richard Marshall.

That tackle at 2:14 is what Marshall was great at, prior to the last season. In 07-08, he made so many quality tackles like that on running plays to the outside, on hitch patterns and deflections on quick outs when playing up by the line of scrimmage. He was a great tackler during 07-08, and I think the fundamentals are still there. He's always missed some because he usually goes all out for the tackle. This style fits perfectly with Meeks, who like you guys have mentioned, wants players that will be aggressive and if they're going to miss a tackle, miss it going full speed. That's Richard Marshall.
did you notice who that was he was tackling at 2:14?

Trgo progressively beat the talent and ball skills out of Richard Marshall over the last several years (he did good work with Lucas as well).

Marshall will recover under Meeks. I will not be surprised if he's better than Gamble next year.

Trgo progressively beat the talent and ball skills out of Richard Marshall over the last several years (he did good work with Lucas as well).

Marshall will recover under Meeks. I will not be surprised if he's better than Gamble next year.

well Gamble is a good corner but never has he put together a great season....nor has he proven yet to be worth the money imo.

well Gamble is a good corner but never has he put together a great season....nor has he proven yet to be worth the money imo.

he's no asomugha, but he gets the job done... he's had a few bad seasons (2006, most notably) but they appear to be ancient history. 2007 was a solid year for him and 2008 he was fantastic... rarely got beat, and hung onto most interceptions that came his way. if he simply repeats his '08 performance (and i think he'll actually improve it with meeks) and marshall benefits as well, we'll have two VERY good corners. i'm not really worried about the situation at all.

what would make him a good corner in your eyes?

I said he was a good corner. I said he never had a great year yet or has proven to be worth the money we just paid him. He has given up big plays every year on a consistent basis....the only reason imo he didn't give up as many last season(he still gave them up) was b/c the other side was so bad and tempting. People attacked him less but imo it had less to do w/ improvement on his part but just a horrible combo of Lucas/Godfrey/no pass rush. He also has a bad habit of being in position to make a huge play....but can't seem to take advantage of it. He is a very good corner....he just hasn't reached the great level like most act like he is.

Archived