• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

who in the huddle is rooting for mike vick?

I don't get the hunting and fishing thing, either.

The point no one in the Give Mike a Chance crowd has addressed...the bait dogs. Training dogs that love to fight is one thing. Taking pets off the street and throwing them to these monsters takes it to a whole different level. That's what these people do. They use these bait animals to teach their fighting dogs to kill.

You let your family dog outside and go to use the restroom. You go to the door and call for the dog. The dog is gone. The next day it gets ripped to shreds by pit bulls so that these idiots can get entertainment pitting their dog against someone else's for money.

good points....this was/is very disturbing behavior but proven to be what is going on and what happened. that there is people who not only consider this acceptable behavior but will pay for this to happen blows my mind.

for the record, if you saw a child treating animals in anywhere close to this manner and they got caught they would be considered anti-social personality disorder. i have had to work with some of these kids and they are very disturbing.

here's a description of the personality disorders that involve the torturing of animals...

Psychological disorders

One of the known warning signs of certain psychopathologies, including anti-social personality disorder, also known as psychopathic personality disorder, is a history of torturing pets and small animals, a behavior known as zoosadism. According to the New York Times, "[t]he FBI has found that a history of cruelty to animals is one of the traits that regularly appears in its computer records of serial rapists and murderers, and the standard diagnostic and treatment manual for psychiatric and emotional disorders lists cruelty to animals a diagnostic criterion for conduct disorders.[33] "A survey of psychiatric patients who had repeatedly tortured dogs and cats found all of them had high levels of aggression toward people as well, including one patient who had murdered a young boy."[33] Robert K. Ressler, an agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation's behavioral sciences unit, studied serial killers and noted,"Murderers like this [Jeffrey Dahmer] very often start out by killing and torturing animals as kids."[34]

Cruelty to animals is one of the three components of the Macdonald triad, indicators of violent antisocial behavior in children and adolescents. According to the studies used to form this model, cruelty to animals is a common (but not with every case) behavior in children and adolescents who grow up to become serial killers and other violent criminals.

It has also been found that animal cruelty in children is frequently committed by children who have witnessed or been victims of abuse themselves. In two separate studies cited by the Humane Society of the United States roughly one-third of families suffering from domestic abuse indicated that at least one child had hurt or killed a pet.[35]

(linky)

point is that people who take part in this type of activity have something seriously wrong and don't really need to be exposed to society much. they have very little regard for life and take pleasure in acts of cruelty and torture. that is sick.

Hmm.. there is a culture within the United States that does not see dogs/cats in as loving a light as some of you do. Its a cultural thing. Just like in some cultures people see dogs with onions on the side. I wouldn't do my dog like that, I am just saying I grew up where Dog fighting was part of life.

I remember reading an article about dog fighting 25 or 30 years ago and it was so terrible I chose not to believe it. They said they'll put kittens in front of the pit bull, and keep on doing it until the pit bull kills them in one bite. Kitten after kitten, just getting mangled (the lucky ones die right away).

When the Vick stuff came out I read up and found out that this is exactly the kind of stuff that goes on. And then I found out they graduate them from kittens to beagles to collies. I even saw a picture of one of them holding this collie with a terrified look on its face, ready to throw it in with the pit bull.

Hmm.. there is a culture within the United States that does not see dogs/cats in as loving a light as some of you do. Its a cultural thing. Just like in some cultures people see dogs with onions on the side. I wouldn't do my dog like that, I am just saying I grew up where Dog fighting was part of life.
you do realize that it is illegal, don't you? if it is being done in the US it is very much an illegal activity. i don't care what culture it is that has unfortunately found this absolutely cruel and inhumane activity not only acceptable and enjoyable but it is illegal.

cultural acceptance does not mean legal. it is illegal in most countries because of the cruelty involved.

for the record, there are cultures that find it acceptable to rape women and force their children to watch. does that mean it's acceptable?

beware that slope, it's an awfully slippery one.

it is a large culture with big money in it.its just weather you accept it or not.i like dogs,but i dont have a problem with dog fighting.

The point I was trying to make was I also totally agree its illegal. But just because you are "cruel to dogs" doesn't mean he was warming up to kill children or become a serial killer. It doesn't mean he was not a philanthropist or a good father/son. Also just because I think its wrong doesn't mean I condemn other's people beliefs or cultural values. That is also an awfully slippery slope too.

P.S. Weed is illegal too, doesn't make it right :)

it is a large culture with big money in it.its just weather you accept it or not.i like dogs,but i dont have a problem with dog fighting.

Not even close. It is cruel and inhumane for sadistical people who don't value animal life. There is no rationale for it. It isn't like hunting or killing animals for food or anything close. This is a sport for money and purposefully involves pain and torture. Even hunters put the animal out of it's misery instead of prolonging it.

The point I was trying to make was I also totally agree its illegal. But just because you are "cruel to dogs" doesn't mean he was warming up to kill children or become a serial killer. It doesn't mean he was not a philanthropist or a good father/son. Also just because I think its wrong doesn't mean I condemn other's people beliefs or cultural values. That is also an awfully slippery slope too.

P.S. Weed is illegal too, doesn't make it right :)

If you have to kill dogs in order to harvest weed then it is comparable, otherwise it is not even relavent.

And for what it is worth, serial killers often have a pattern of cruel to animals as children. Doesn't mean dog fighters are going to be serial killers but sometimes folks who don't value animal life are the same folks who often don't value human life as well.

back to the culture thing,pedro in DR was the guest judge at a cock fight.those are just as bad as dogs.so it depends were you are and what culture you are apart of.

Cock fighting is bad as well. Perhaps one difference is that most chickens don't have the thought capacity that dogs do. Larger brain, more cognition, usually more anxiety, panic, etc when tortured.

What Stallworth did was not intentional, what Vick did was.

I personally tend to look at substance abuse differently then violent crimes

sorry, I don't mean to argue and all...but Stallworth did not accidentally get drunk and then jump behind the wheel of his car. If people don't understand by now that drinking and driving kills people, then they really have a problem.

And for what it is worth, serial killers often have a pattern of cruel to animals as children. Doesn't mean dog fighters are going to be serial killers but sometimes folks who don't value animal life are the same folks who often don't value human life as well.

And for what it is worth, Priest who are child molesters often have a pattern of being involved in the church as a children. Doesn't mean priest are gonna be child molesters but sometimes folks......(see where its heading?)

it's ILLEGAL! and its CRUEL...torturing an animal for fun isn't bad? you seriously don't see that as a problem?

Archived